We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I think that's it!

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
I think that's it!

We have been going to Maldives since 2006. Five visits to Lily Beach (four pre refurb), three to Veligandu, twice to Vilamendhoo, once to Biyadhoo and a couple of stays on local island. It's our 15th anniversary later this year and we had planned for ages to celebrate it in the Maldives. The only problem is that the prices are so unrealistic and we just can't justify it anymore. I know that the resorts will charge what they can get away with but it's just getting crazy. Two weeks in November for a half decent resort will cost at least £8000. Looks like somewhere else will be getting our money this year. I'm not saying we will never go back to the Maldives but it will be most likely a local island stay.

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I think that's it!

Forgot to say that we would have happily gone back to Vilamendhoo this year but as they are tied up with Thomsons the flights are no good to us. One week is too short but because of work I can't do two weeks. Probably overbooked anyway.

Norway
Level Contributor
819 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I think that's it!

Really sad that the prices keep going up... :/

Regarding Vila, is it possible for you to just book directly with the island and book flights separately? Then you are not tied up with "fixed" flighs that don't suit you. Or have you looked at Angaga for example? A real treat with a great reef - on the affordable side (or at least less than £8000).

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I think that's it!

Or you can buy the flights and book Vila with another travel agent...

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I think that's it!

Same here Gengy, can't see us returning again either.

It's been good while it lasted...

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I think that's it!

I am a bit reluctant to book flights and hotel separately since we lost our holiday due to the ash cloud in 2010. We booked with Kuoni on that trip and it was easy (but upsetting) to cancel the holiday and get a full refund. We will keep on looking but I think we will be going elsewhere. The problem with Vilamendhoo is that Thomsons are the only British travel agent that can sell holidays to Vilamendhoo.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I think that's it!

Sure? Purely Maldives, for example, sell Vila, don't they?And maybe you could try a foreign travel agent... German TO, maldivian,...

Edited: 26 May 2013, 00:04
Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I think that's it!

Purely Maldives can't sell Vila to UK residents as far as I know...

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,617 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I think that's it!

"Two weeks in November for a half decent resort will cost at least £8000"

have you looked at Filitheyo? it's at 3k euros for two weeks, that would be 6k euros for two people. (that's including flights from Rome)

montgomery, wales
Level Contributor
488 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I think that's it!

I've loved the Maldives since the late 1970's ....... but our trip to Athuruga last June was definitely our last .... the prices are just ridiculous and to be honest, wonderful as the atolls are, there are many other equally beautiful places in the world to explore without bankrupting oneself!! Some holiday destinations are maybe better put away into the minds memory, savoured but not repeated ...........

To all those who have booked to visit the Maldives, go and enjoy, they ARE very wonderful, the lagoons so warm and full of colourful fishes and you can never forget the first sighting of those aquamarine circles in an ocean of deep blue...... but don't always expect constant weather, you are visiting tropical climes situated near to the equator so it can rain and blow ...... if you want wall to wall sunshine stick to places like Greece or Turkey during the summer months!!

And as previous posters such as Gengy and IcnO5 have said, the times we have had have been more than wonderful, but ......... !!

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,617 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I think that's it!

tiggygar: wonderfully put!