We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Final choice of resort

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Final choice of resort

Hi, And thanks in advance for any advice, I've spent 2 days trawling the internet to narrow down to my current list of Maldives islands. My boyfriend and I were booking a holiday to Sri Lanka but as our flights go via Male, we thought it rude not to stop off. We visited Bora Bora, staying in a guest house on a family owned motu and think we might be able to get a bit of that kind of holiday for a few days in the Maldives!

Things we're looking for are.. great diving/snorkling/beaches, great fresh fish for dinner! a comfy bed and able to drink a cold beer and have some sun downers! (we're taking the trip when my boyfriend gets back from Afghanistan, he's definitely looking forward to that part, so guesthouses are out!). We definitely don't want 5* sanitised luxury. A bit of real Maldivian life and food really! As this is part of a bigger trip budget is limited so we'd ideally want to take a boat transfer to keep an eye on the £'s so are looking at sub £700 including transfers and 5 nights accommodation.

The three places on the current shortlist (and budget) in order of preference are; Eriyadu, Fihalhohi and Biyadhoo

My question is, are any of these resorts significantly better than others? reviews seem to put them roughly in the same 'camp', is it that awkward to be in the 'wrong' resort (ie I've read that Eriyadu is a predominantly German resort and the dive instructors make it hard for English speakers)? And also, have I missed somewhere that I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

Claire

england
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Final choice of resort

Is that each or for the both of you? If it's £350 each for 5 days I would say you'll have to up the budget a bit especially if transfers are included - seaplane is almost certainly a no go for that budget and I would say unless you pick up a great offer, it'll be a B&B rate as well.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,374 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Final choice of resort

i have been to eriyadu and fiha ... would definitely prefer eri over fihalhohi but both are great choices .

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Final choice of resort

My question is, are any of these resorts significantly better than others? reviews seem to put them roughly in the same 'camp', is it that awkward to be in the 'wrong' resort (ie I've read that Eriyadu is a predominantly German resort and the dive instructors make it hard for English speakers)? And also, have I missed somewhere that I should consider?

Fihalhohi has quoted me £600 including full board 5 nights and 2 return boat transfers

Eriyadu Superior room on Full board £530 or All inclusive £642

Biyadhoo Standard Room £352.10 inc boat transfers and full board

There are plenty of resorts coming in under budget on AI FB or HB, I'm trying to decide between them. As I said originally we want a boat transfer from Male to keep on top of the budget.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Final choice of resort

Biya is well known for its great vibe but terrible rooms. Not really a significant difference between all 3 though. Biya probably has the best reef.

"A bit of real Maldivian life"......you will not really get this on a manufactured resort island.....you don't mix with locals without a separate trip to a residential island. You will get it by staying in a guest house but boyfriend won't get his beer!

John

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Final choice of resort

If you and hubby like a few drinks as many of us do, remember that drinks are expensive in the Maldives.

As such, quite simply, I would pick the all inclusive option here, eriyadu. Reports have it as a great island, and your costs are contained. The other two will cost you substantially more when you add in the daily beer and sundowners.

Good luck:-))

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Final choice of resort

The only place you are more likely to be able to mix with locals other than on a local island staying in a guest house is Equator Village on Gan - another basic resort but without the benefit of a house reef nearby and an extra internal flight to reach it.

I have been to Fiha and Biya and for us Biya wins on every point other than accommodation - Biya's rooms really iare in dire need of refurb as people say but you need to go with your eyes open to this.

I have dived both Biya and Fiha - again for me Biya wins. The dive school on Fiha has changed hands since I went so any observations I have will have no merit now, I can only say that although the reef was good it wasn't quite as good as Biya. On Biya the dive school instructors do change on a fairly regular basis but they maintain a good mix of nationalities (much like the island) so we've never had any problems with dive briefings/being left out because we were English . The house reef will offer enough to interest you as a buddy pair over the 3/4 days diving you can fit in and this will keep your cost down - their single 'do it yourself with a buddy on the house reef' dive price is one of he cheapest we have found. I would tend to agree that when there is a large group of one nationality diving, whether German, Italian, English etc then all other nationalities can get left to last/forgotten about - you just need to make yourself heard and ask and then plan your dive with your buddy.

Eriyadu sounds like slightly more expensive but a very good option. You might also want to take a look at Embudu in the budget range, recently refurbed rooms, close to Male for speedboat costs and transfers and with a good reef.

UK
Level Contributor
624 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Final choice of resort

I have been to both Biya and Fihalhohi - and would return to either in a heartbeat. Both are lower cost options but both have extremely good reefs for both snorkelling and diving - and very close to the beach.

Accommodation is better at Fiha, but I did find the bar atmosphere better at Biya.

Biya will do AI if you ask them for a quote on that basis (we stayed AI inJune last year) whereas Fiha only does FB as far as I know.

Food is the same on both - decently good but not fancy.

Your other option I think is a bit more up market and somewhere I would be interested in going to. However, you won't go wrong with either Biya or Fiha if you "get your island on" and are happy with clean but relatively basic accommodation.

8. Re: Final choice of resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 06:16