We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is O&O a mistake for snorkelers? Another suggestion?

East Coast
Level Contributor
258 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Is O&O a mistake for snorkelers? Another suggestion?

After what I thought was exhaustive research, we zeroed in O&O for our trip in March, 2014.

Now that I have trolled various message boards, it appears that the lack of a reef and the artificial beaches might be deal breakers. For those of you who have been here, does the resort do a good job of providing snorkeling trips?

We are celebrating "big" (read: not so young) birthdays and want a high degree of luxury and an o/w villa with a separate living area. In addition, our wish list includes:

-good service, but not in your face or hovering

-some elbow room and activities

-not a lot of children (though some are okay)

-quiet - nightlife is a negative

-tv in room

-a resort that is not dominated by one group of nationals - sometimes this, like a convention, can leave guests feeling left out

-boat transfer

Thank you in advance for any thoughts....

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is O&O a mistake for snorkelers? Another suggestion?

Have a look at the Maldives complete website, Bruce has done an excellent job of detailing all the islands and you can filter by many factors ie cost, star rating, reef, distance from male etc, to see your options.

Baros immediately springs to mind though.

One and only is a man made artificial island, it's also the place the celebrities go ie beckhams etc.if you are into that. If not and you just want peace and quiet it might not be ideal considering you want to snorkel. Why pay all that money and go on a boat trip, when you could have the reef on the doorstep and snorkel to your own timetable...

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,023 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is O&O a mistake for snorkelers? Another suggestion?

which one and only are you referring to ? if its reethi rah ... the entire island is man made in a designer shape (like a puzzle piece) . there is no reef at all. the island itself is fairly pretty but athmosphere unpleasant . food mediocre. lots of children.

kanuhura.. tiny bit of reef - very unspectacular . service better than reethi rah .. lots and lots of children due to their nanny service .

i would not return to either

East Coast
Level Contributor
258 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is O&O a mistake for snorkelers? Another suggestion?

Thanks, Spammie. Yes, I was referring to Reethi Rah. Is there someplace you can recommend that might fit the bill?

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is O&O a mistake for snorkelers? Another suggestion?

how long u going for/rough budget?

uk
Level Contributor
109 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is O&O a mistake for snorkelers? Another suggestion?

Cocoa Island or Naladhu might be worth a look

Sally

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is O&O a mistake for snorkelers? Another suggestion?

yeah cocoa is an excellent idea

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,023 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is O&O a mistake for snorkelers? Another suggestion?

banyan tree madivaru or huvafen fushi.

naladhu has zero snorkeling , cocoa very very poor

Edited: 04 June 2013, 15:52
East Coast
Level Contributor
258 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is O&O a mistake for snorkelers? Another suggestion?

Thanks, everyone, for the responses. How lucky you are to know so much about the Maldives!

Froggy, I will definitely look at the Maldives Complete website, though I find that I want to stay everywhere when I see all the properties presented that way.

Two questions based on the recommendations: Does Cocoa Island feel particularly small? That is my fear after reading about it. I have also considered Huvafen Fushi, but saw two comments on another message board referring to it as a party place. Is that overstated?

Paul, we expect to be there for a week and, for this special occasion, we are willing to splurge.

Now I will get to work looking at the new contenders.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is O&O a mistake for snorkelers? Another suggestion?

Huvafen Fushi isn't a party at all, it's a small and really prívate island.... You'll love it for sure, no the reef is quite good, they renovares all the villas last year.

Cocoa reef is not good at all, in my opinion rooms are not as great as the rooms of Reethi Rah, though the Island is nice, the beaches gorgeous and the food is said wonderful...

Edited: 04 June 2013, 19:32
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is O&O a mistake for snorkelers? Another suggestion?

Ah, I think you mean purely Maldives.

Maldives complete is not a travel agent, it's simply, Bruce, a Maldives enthusiast, has visited very many islands and created a website which details each of them, allowing would be visitors to compare islands.

maldivescomplete.com/maldivesv/main.aspx