We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kid Friendly and Adult Only

London
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Kid Friendly and Adult Only

The question of 'kids in the Maldives' is a popular one on this Forum. It is topic that stirs up heated polarization between (a) Maldives is a lovely place for kids, and (b) kids can ruin some of the distinctive qualities of the Maldives especially tranquility. With so many resorts now catering to so many tastes and preferences, some resorts have veered to one side of boosting family and kid friendly amenities and offers, to the other side of restricting or even prohibiting under certain ages.

I came across this Today article which seemed to capture some of the core considerations in a very balanced way - today.com/food/restaurant-bans-kids-under-18… - that I thought I would share for people who care about this issue.

I was struck by a few things. First, this issue is not just a Maldives issue. The article makes it clear that the issue how to balance the desires for family togetherness with the desires for adult ambience exists around the world. Second, I found it intriguing that the restaurateur who opened the adult-only establishment, was also the owner of two of the street's most kid friendly eateries.

Anyway I thought it might be of interest to a bunch of contributors here.

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kid Friendly and Adult Only

Salted please

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kid Friendly and Adult Only

Lol, Paul!

I read a similar article about a cafe in Berlin which banned prams and pushchairs ...

australia
Level Contributor
551 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kid Friendly and Adult Only

I think it's a good idea.. If you can have outwardly kid friendly restaurants then I think for those seeking no children they can get a no child environment ( they might get a horribly behaved adult though...)

Just like the Maldives there are those resorts geared towards children and those that are not.. I think this is good.

Caters for everyone.

If someone turns up to a resort or restaurant that's geared towards kids then they can't really be upset if there a r children there.

Children should go out to restaurants and learn how to eat and behave with good manners. It's the way they learn and earlier the better. We are a family who love to eat out. l I can't stand my own children running around like crazy in a restaurant nor should anyone have to put up with it..

So just like misbehaved kids.. Misbehaved adults should be removed from a restaurant to!

I think the people are quite clever to market to two different types of markets for their restaurants :)

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kid Friendly and Adult Only

But isn't there a very big difference between resorts geared to families, or not and those that are adult only. The latter of which are ridiculously few considering how the Maldives is billed as such a romantic couples destination!

So, if someone goes to an island 'geared' towards families, they shouldn't moan if kids are there, ok, so when I go to an island with no specific children's facilities yet find them running around the restaurant, I can moan by that logic! Hmm, I did that already and incurred the wrath of the pro children brigade.

In reality, I think there really should be islands specifically for both families and adults. Unfortunately one of those groups is massively under represented.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,647 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kid Friendly and Adult Only

The problem as I see it, reading the Today report, is the 25% borderline and the 25% not so well behaved.....that's 50% of the kids.

I also like the statement "if a child is misbehaving, it should be removed (from the island)".

I agree with child eating Jody.....there are not enough adult only islands. Many hotels in other parts of the world are advertised/sold as being adult only or child friendly.Nobody complains about them. You just don't book the resorts that accept little ones if you don't want to encounter them.

People should have the choice.

And at the moment in the Maldives, there is very little choice.

BTW......let's hope this thread doesn't descend into another one that gets heared and deleted......no-one is saying children should or shouldn't be allowed anywhere.

It's about having choices.

John

Edited: 05 June 2013, 20:08
suffolk
Level Contributor
3,647 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kid Friendly and Adult Only

......or even "heated and deleted".

John

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kid Friendly and Adult Only

John, I only eat children on days ending in 'y'.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kid Friendly and Adult Only

I just don't get it, I really don't. Genuinely, I was taught tolerance.

As long as other people, irrelevant of their age, don't disturb me in a way that is not publicly acceptable , I don't care who is in a given venue at the same time as me.. I can honestly say, in all the very many places I have been to, the adults win on the inappropriate disturbance stakes. However my intolerance when that happens is towards the individual and not some extreme generalisation of all who fit into that category ie everyone of that age, race, religion or gender etc.

Past that, everyone else, irrelevant of the age, their gender, the colour of their skin, has as much right to be there as I have, and to use the facilities appropriately, as long as that's the rules of the establishment. If the rules of the establishment don't permit them to be there or even do what they are doing, then I have a right to complain, past that, it's my problem and I have no right to dictate to others.

adult only is only under represented in the opinion of the few of this forum who wish this and, it ss obviously not representative of the 800k visitors. As we have seen one resort just tried this and changed it back again, very obviously the few children going, less than 5 percent, is not something that the vast majority of adults have an issue with.

Like it or not like it, thems the facts. If you wish adults only, why chose a resort like reethi? I keep hearing people wanting adults only and complaining,, but only one poster seems to be putting her money where her mouth is and going there. No one else seems to have even visited. Everyone else is trotting off to family friendly resorts and then having a whinge about wanting adult only, but avoiding the one resort that offers it, even avoiding the resorts that are over 12 only or have adult only sections. Not just that, then repeat visiting the family friendly ones and having another whinge. It's crazy.

As said, I don't get it. Not even slightly.

9. Re: Kid Friendly and Adult Only

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 June 2013, 10:05
suffolk
Level Contributor
3,647 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kid Friendly and Adult Only

froggy, calm down!

All I'm saying (on this particular thread) is that if you open a Thomsons brochure, a Kuoni brochure or click on the websites of the major worldwide operators, there are adult only resorts/hotels in just about every part of the world. But not in the Maldives.

One adult only resort is not "choice".

An adult only section like at Vila doesn't work and I'm not sure your reference to Veligandu changing it's mind about becoming adult only is correct.....yes it was advertised as such by TUI but I'm not sure where or why the change came about.

John