We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kid Friendly and Adult Only

London
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Kid Friendly and Adult Only

The question of 'kids in the Maldives' is a popular one on this Forum. It is topic that stirs up heated polarization between (a) Maldives is a lovely place for kids, and (b) kids can ruin some of the distinctive qualities of the Maldives especially tranquility. With so many resorts now catering to so many tastes and preferences, some resorts have veered to one side of boosting family and kid friendly amenities and offers, to the other side of restricting or even prohibiting under certain ages.

I came across this Today article which seemed to capture some of the core considerations in a very balanced way - today.com/food/restaurant-bans-kids-under-18… - that I thought I would share for people who care about this issue.

I was struck by a few things. First, this issue is not just a Maldives issue. The article makes it clear that the issue how to balance the desires for family togetherness with the desires for adult ambience exists around the world. Second, I found it intriguing that the restaurateur who opened the adult-only establishment, was also the owner of two of the street's most kid friendly eateries.

Anyway I thought it might be of interest to a bunch of contributors here.

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Kid Friendly and Adult Only

There is no point arguing it.iron 0710. This has went from a bit more choice in adult only, which is reasonable, to someone which no plans to go, due to cat issues, posting that they would like all people travelling with children to be banned from all but a handful of islands, as well as previous posts from others, stating that the better islands with good reefs like mirihi should be adult only and anyone with the misfortune of being a parent and wishing to holiday in the Maldives with their child, should go to resorts like sun island.

There really is no point in discussing if further.

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Kid Friendly and Adult Only

We don't have children but have never had any major problems with noisy children on our Maldivian visits, adults have usually been more troublesome on the rare occasions when there have been problems. Some resorts attract more children than others but I suppose the resort owners would happily do children free resorts if they thought it would bring in more money. Everyone is saying that there is only one child free resort in the whole of the Maldives, have you all forgotten about the lovely and delightful Centara Ras Fushi?

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,977 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Kid Friendly and Adult Only

CRF takes over 12's.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Kid Friendly and Adult Only

I have been taking my daughter to the Maldives since she was about 7 years old. She has never disturbed one other holiday maker, not even slightly. however plenty of adults have disturbed her.

She will be 16 next week, and she goes back to the Maldives in 5 weeks time, according to the views of the " people" on here, they would prefer not to be on the same island as my child until she turns 18.

Offensive? Yes, and then some.

Edited: 07 June 2013, 21:08
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
802 posts
1 review
Save Reply
55. Re: Kid Friendly and Adult Only

Bollocks! The 'issue' (and the only issue), is that there should be MORE options for those that prefer to have a holiday on kid-free islands. Not all islands, not even most.....or maybe not even a third....but MORE than is currently available.

That's all.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Kid Friendly and Adult Only

And the Oscar for most self obsessed over the top post goes to.......

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Kid Friendly and Adult Only

Yes, ddebil, we all agree on that, there is absolutely no disagreement, no discussion. Yes, totally, everyone agrees.

The issue is when you have people posting there should only be a handful of islands that allow under 18s and everything else should be adult only and that the less popular islands . like sun, should be the islands that take those under 18s. The discussion moved way on from the reasonable " there should be more choice" stance.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
802 posts
1 review
Save Reply
58. Re: Kid Friendly and Adult Only

Now't wrong with (most) under 18's....it's the little screamers that are the problem. Having said that, I've been known to scream on numerous occasions, but that's a different story..

So....everyone is in agreement that there should be a 'reasonable' number of 'child'-free islands.....at all budget levels....yes?

59. Re: Kid Friendly and Adult Only

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 June 2013, 12:17
Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Kid Friendly and Adult Only

Anyone got a wall I can borrow to go bang my head against?

I'm all out of them round here.....