We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crazy weather Athuruga! Gail Force Winds

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
709 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Crazy weather Athuruga! Gail Force Winds

The weather has gone crazy in Athuruga, the winds just have't stopped all day!

One website reprted gusts of 95km/h.

Just walked to reception and had the back of my legs sand blasted!

Maintenance has been nailing down the shutters in the water villa restaurant.

Huge palm leaves have been torn off the trees.

People are camped in reception waiting to go home as the seaplane is stuck here.

The noise in our water villa is giving me a banging headache, with the rattling doors, whistling winds, banging, waves, wind.....which on top of tonsillitis and earache isn't good!

We tried watching a film earlier, but even with the sound on full, we could't hear the film in parts as the weather over the water villas is insane and just hasn't stopped all night and day.

There is a 20m stretch of sheltered beach on the opposite side of the island....I'm tempted to move rooms :)

This is our 4th visit to the maldives and we've had some pretty bad weather in september, but this is by far the worst we have ever experienced....and the noise is driving me insane.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crazy weather Athuruga! Gail Force Winds

wonder if that is all over the Maldives, or just S Ari ?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crazy weather Athuruga! Gail Force Winds

Live Cam at Komandoo didn't look great but not as bad as that!

We did have a massive storm last year and I honestly thought a palm tree was going to be uprooted and smash thorugh our room.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crazy weather Athuruga! Gail Force Winds

at least the BVs will have some protection (as long as trees dont fall on em) Handy they are closing the island soon to repair the jetty. Could be repairing more than that. Time to head to the Bar?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crazy weather Athuruga! Gail Force Winds

I'm at Kuramathi & we are also experiencing some very windy conditions. Doesn't sound as bad as what you're having though - we still managed to dive this morning :)

Edited: 07 June 2013, 11:25
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crazy weather Athuruga! Gail Force Winds

That's not good. Hopefully there will be a quick storm and then calm will return,..

Truro, United...
Level Contributor
573 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crazy weather Athuruga! Gail Force Winds

Just checked in with Angsana Velavaru...2 atolls south of South Ari and it is pretty bad there too. A speedboat washed up on beach and all pretty scary by all accounts!

BFB

Level Contributor
584 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Crazy weather Athuruga! Gail Force Winds

Hope the weather improves quickly and that you feel better.

Norway
Level Contributor
819 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crazy weather Athuruga! Gail Force Winds

Oh my, so sorry to hear that. I guess that rules out snorkelling too. Fingers crossed that it clears up soon.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crazy weather Athuruga! Gail Force Winds

Just checked the komandoo and kuredu webcams and you can see by the palm trees it's pretty bad there also. There must be a storm brewing.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crazy weather Athuruga! Gail Force Winds

It's the whole of the Maldives. The seaplanes aren't flying, domestic flights are grounded and the coast guard has told boats to stay at harbour where possible. http://sun.mv/english/13213

Edited: 07 June 2013, 12:22