We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good non-Maldivian snorkelling destinations sought

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Good non-Maldivian snorkelling destinations sought

I'm under strict instructions we are NOT to return to Maldives next year despite my protests that nowhere else in the World is on par or better than the Maldives - specifically Mirihi/Kandholhu/Athuruga grade (of fish and coral) but apparently we have to try somewhere different.

So any suggestions where in the world has the best snorkelling other than the Great Barrier Reef, Borneo and Sharm el Sheikh?

I'm very sorely tempted to go solo to the Maldives next year :)

.....AG

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Good non-Maldivian snorkelling destinations sought

Been to most islands in the Caribbean .... 100 plus dives..... Lots of snorkelling.... All far far far inferior to Maldives

UK
Level Contributor
307 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Good non-Maldivian snorkelling destinations sought

Also been to most of the carribean islands and snorkelling not as good as the maldives..hated egypt... More tourists than fish... I reckon Indonesia is worth a try

Belfast
Level Contributor
743 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Good non-Maldivian snorkelling destinations sought

We have snorkelled in Bali, Lifou, Isle de Pines, Vanuatu, Egypt (Sharm, Nuweiba & Taba), Hawaii, Mexico, Belize, Bonaire & loads of other Caribbean islands and none of them compare to the Maldives, though Taba came close as far as corals are concerned. My OH wants to go try the Phillipines- there is supposed to be very good snorkelling on some of the islands there.

Edited: 09 June 2013, 21:36
Belfast
Level Contributor
743 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Good non-Maldivian snorkelling destinations sought

Forgot to say we've also snorkelled in Zanzibar, Seychelles & Madagascar- again the Maldives is better.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,714 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Good non-Maldivian snorkelling destinations sought

Maldives and Egypt are by far the best snorkeling destinations I tried. I snorkeled also in Seychelles, Mauritius, Thailand or Mexico and they can not be compared with the first two.

Miki

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,447 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Good non-Maldivian snorkelling destinations sought

Well that's a relief Miki, Egypt is far cheaper and nearer, now I don't have to go booking expensive long haul trips searching ;-)

It is getting away from the crowds though as someone said, but it can be done.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
280 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Good non-Maldivian snorkelling destinations sought

I would upvote Wakatobi:

http://www.wakatobi.com/home.php

and Misool in Raja Ampat: http://www.misoolecoresort.com/

If you don't mind doing the GBR check out Wilson and Lizard Island (s):

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g664431-d296081…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g255082-d258042…

I would skip the Carribean, I've been all over it and none of the snorkelling compares to the Maldives.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
708 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Good non-Maldivian snorkelling destinations sought

Coral reefs:

* Check out Bunaken (north Sulawesi ). Debatable better than Wakatobi

* Coral bay (and other locations) for Ningaloo reef (Australia). Go in the right time and you can snorkel with Whalesharks and manta rays on the same day.

* Marsa alam (Egypt) (much better off beach snorkelling than Sharm, dahab or Taba)

* Moalboal, Cebu, Philippines

* Menjagan Islands (boattrip from Permuteran), Bali

* Roatan, Honduras

Others:

* Donsol (Philippines) to snorkel with whalesharks

* Galapagos island (cruise) to snorkel with seals and pinguins and if your lucky a Marine Iguana

And apparently you can snorkel with Orca's in Norway.

Have fun ;-)

19. Re: Good non-Maldivian snorkelling destinations sought

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 06:16