We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Us Pick Our Honeymoon Destination!

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Help Us Pick Our Honeymoon Destination!

Hi all,

I'm planning a honeymoon that includes 6 nights in the Maldives (followed by trips to Kerala and New Delhi), and could use some advice. I was planning to book a stay at Club Med, since I stayed there once before as a kid many years ago, but after a week of research, I'm getting the feeling that there are some nicer ones out there for the same price, so I was hoping to get some recommendations for alternatives.

Budget: 8K-9K USD (Ideally including all food/drink/excursions)

Priorities:

1) Good food/drink

2) Decent snorkeling off the beach (marine life/house reef)

3) Reasonably-priced daily excursions

4) Activities to keep us busy during the stay (volleyball, badminton, sailing, yoga classes, etc)

5) A decent water villa

6) The fewer children, the better

We're pretty ambivalent when it comes to night life and island size. The future wife is not a diver, so it's not as big a priority either (though I might try to get one or two in).

These are some of the places that caught my attention, though I'm sure some are out of our price range:

Park Hyatt

Veligandu

Baros

Vilu

Constance Moofushi

Vilamendhoo

Angaga

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Us Pick Our Honeymoon Destination!

You don't mention what time of year you're travelling, which will make a difference as to what you can get for your money.

From your list, Veligandu doesn't have what I'd class as decent snorkelling from the beach, although it would suit most of your other criteria.

Angaga didn't have much in the way of excursions when we went, and while the food was ok, we found it very repetitive. Not much in the way of activities either, although no different to most other islands we've visited in that respect. There was a very under used water sports centre there, under used as most visitors tended to be hardened divers. The dive centre there was very busy every day. Very good snorkelling from the beach.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Us Pick Our Honeymoon Destination!

There are some good deals about for PHH at the moment and that's probably why it's appeared on your list with some less expensive options.

If you are still in the planning stage, most people would advise tagging the Maldives onto the end rather than the start of a trip.....do the busy bits first and then chill out.

John

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Us Pick Our Honeymoon Destination!

Park hyatt gets well recommended,,,as do others, but this one is hitting the headlines right now. It would be the one I pick, however the most cost effective way to do this one is on an all inclusive deal, for some reason the price between ai and B and B is very minimal.

Try tropical sky in the uk, who Paul just booked them with. No reason you can't use a British agent,

4. Re: Help Us Pick Our Honeymoon Destination!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 June 2013, 08:05
Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Us Pick Our Honeymoon Destination!

Go promote elsewhere fasakko....

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Us Pick Our Honeymoon Destination!

Another vote for doing the Maldives part at the end...

If it's in budget, I would also choose Park Hyatt. Anyway if when you go, they don't have AI any more, and the HB price is good for you, I went there HB (offer complimentary HB), and as we don't drink alcohol generally, water was free in restaurants, and they gave us free fruit everyday in the morning, our drinks and food bill was only a pair of cocktails 4 or 5 nights, and a little money that exceeded the descount for the dinners at the restaurant at the beach... They also gave tea with snacks every afternoon: I tried that just one day as we weren't hungry for lunch and didn't go...

Edited: 16 June 2013, 11:24
Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Us Pick Our Honeymoon Destination!

Sorry, forgot to mention that we'll be going in late November. Another place that caught my eye was Athuruga. Anyone have any experience with the place, relative to Park Hyatt?

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Us Pick Our Honeymoon Destination!

Been to both, and Park Hyatt is far superior in terms of accommodation, service, food, house reef, etc.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Us Pick Our Honeymoon Destination!

I agree, I'd go to Park Hyatt if it's in budget...

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Us Pick Our Honeymoon Destination!

Thanks for all of the advice guys. At the pretty much unanimous recommendation from this thread, we booked a 7 night stay at the Park Hyatt with an all-inclusive package through PurelyMaldives!