We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible Trip Next Year

Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Possible Trip Next Year

Just had the nod from the wife that we may (must stress the may) be able to go again next year! Bit of a suprise but it has now got me thinking about which resort so in times of worry where do i turn but your friendly neighbourhood forum!

So requirements are as follows:

Good house reef - absolute must

Access to good dive sites

Good food

Beach villa

All important budget is between £5-6k max would like 12 nights but am realistic that we will only get that if we go August time. Otherwise will be 10 nights April.

Would like as a minimum half board.

Islands i thunk would meet the criteria are as follows:

Komandoo

Poss Robinson Club

Would welcome thoughts about above islands and any other suggestions.

Your help as always is appreciated.

PS: Richard if you're reading this i had no idea this morning when we spoke that Hannah would change her mind!

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,628 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Possible Trip Next Year

Whilst Vila does have a good reef, I personally look at all the others to be better choices.

Vila is a busy and social island, which doesn't make for a peaceful, quiet relaxing Maldives holiday.

If that is what you want.

John

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
938 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Possible Trip Next Year

Diana - good question! Vila was pre refurb so diff experience to now and Reethi last year. Vila better reef, Reethi better food & atmosphere. As we're keen snorkellers we'd return to Vila (or Fili) but not Reethi but otherwise it would win on all other counts!

Garth - out of your list, Robinson Club & Komandhoo are on my future list so if you wouldn't mind going to both & reporting back?! Oh and Athuruga but higher cost & more Italians!

Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Possible Trip Next Year

It seems we all agree Athuruga (i'll also include Thudufushi) if in budget should be considered and the other two RC and Angaga.

Is the food on Angaga comparable to Reethi?

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Possible Trip Next Year

On that list only been to athuruga

Given the choice would be a toss up between Robinson club , angaga and Gangehi

If I had to do a 1,2,3 it would be RC, gangehi then angaga as much as I adore the picture perfect Angaga

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Possible Trip Next Year

Angaga doesn't have the choice of restaurants that Reethi does and could be quite repetitive although quality was good. On the culinary front for me Reethi would win.

Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Possible Trip Next Year

As an interesting aside PM has Conrad Rangali in July next year BV (free half board upgrade) for £2267 for 12 nights which for the quality of island seems very reasonable, not sure on the snorkelling though. It is s ari atol so i'm assuming sive sites would be good.

Think the drinks bill might be a tad on the high side :)

Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Possible Trip Next Year

I think based on food and reef it looks as though RC may just shade it. Will need to look at some numbers and also make the decision as to go in April or july/august.

More days but higher risk of adverse weather.

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Possible Trip Next Year

The house reef at Conrad Rangali is quite good, if a bit small (it only borders one side of the bigger island). The reef is not in the same class as Robinson Club, Athuruga, Angaga, but it is definitely better than Reethi Beach. Conrad Rangali is also one of the closest resorts to the manta and whale shark sites in South Ari Atoll.

By the way, Robinson Club is a much higher class of resort than Angaga or Gangehi. If it is in the same price range as those two, I wouldn't even consider anything else. I also prefer it over Athuruga, and Robinson Club is certainly superior as far as food and reef are concerned.

Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Possible Trip Next Year

I think RC will only be poss for 12 nights July whereas the other two may get 14 nights.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Possible Trip Next Year

I don't think the food at Angaga was comparible to Reethi in any way, and I'm talking comparing like for like ie. the buffet. For me the best food served at Angaga was at lunchtime from the bar menu.

When you start talking a la cartes at Reethi, there's really no comparison at all.

Angaga's reef and the diving are it's best qualities IMO, and it is a pretty, small island with good beaches.