We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10th wedding anniversary trip....Mirihi will be closed

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,966 posts
274 reviews
Save Topic
10th wedding anniversary trip....Mirihi will be closed

Well I've tried to persuade Mirihi to let us help them with their renovations for 2 weeks next July so we can celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary on this special island ....but so far no joy. So, as anticipated, we need to look for somewhere else. Thoughts please....

- nice house reef is important for snorkelling, but we don't dive

- nice room (prefer WV or a fancy BV possibly with hot tub or jacuzzi bath)

- not close to Male

- not marketed towards families

- not marketed towards clients who like animators

- prefer HB, so don't really want an AI-only island

- don't need a pool

- no butlers

- small island (prefer no minibuses, buggies, quads or bikes)

- food needs to be good quality but we prefer a buffet rather than a la carte

- flying out 26/6 for 2 weeks

- budget ideally £5-6k max for 14 nights accommodation & transfers (will pick up Emirates flights separately)

- if all else fails we have seen Komandoo JWV in budget with Purely Maldives, but we are already going back there in Nov so would like to explore some new ideas as well.

Norway
Level Contributor
819 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: 10th wedding anniversary trip....Mirihi will be closed

Yes Athuruga has an animation team... you hardly notice them though (we didn't anyway), no hassle and you are left alone unless you seek them out.

Agree with the AI consept, we actually prefer HB too, but we just had to try Athuruga because of the reef and it was definately worth it.

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: 10th wedding anniversary trip....Mirihi will be closed

Lynphd,

Regarding your post #13, looking at the PHH website …hyatt.com/en/… it would appear that there's a PHH representative waiting for you at Male and they take you to the domestic departures and get you checked in etc.

Timing wise, looking at a couple of dates using the link mariaeugine provided there are flights from Male at 1040 and 1340. With any lucky you'd make the 1040 one using the Emirates flight arriving at Male 0830.

The bit that is slightly putting me off PHH is the return. We usually take the 1000 MLE-DXB which looking at the flight schedules would mean a flight from Koodhoo @ 0520 so waiting time at airport + speedboat would mean a 3am get up :-( I know there's an evening Emirates flight back but not sure of the time. THink it's around 2300.

Cheers

Rob

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: 10th wedding anniversary trip....Mirihi will be closed

Just had a look at the Emirates flight MLE-DXB is 2300. We fly to BHX from there though so would entail a six hour wait... think i'd sooner just get up early!

Cheers

Rob

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: 10th wedding anniversary trip....Mirihi will be closed

One benefit of the return BA Flt is that it is now 1615 hrs (instead of our usual 1000hrs emirates flt) so should mean at least a bit of a morning at PHH before heading back

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,966 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: 10th wedding anniversary trip....Mirihi will be closed

Thanks Rob, yes it crossed my mind that we also like the early Emirates flight home....so would mean a very early start on the last day.

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,380 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: 10th wedding anniversary trip....Mirihi will be closed

Lynphd

I second Robinson Club (my 2nd review will be up shortly). We also celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary next July! not sure where we are going yet though.

Regards T23

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,966 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: 10th wedding anniversary trip....Mirihi will be closed

So thank you all....the contenders so far that I'll look at whilst lazing on our deck before snorkelling o'clock...

Komandoo - ticks all the boxes....but it will be twice in a row and not somewhere new

Baros - but near to Male.

PH Hadahaa - but may be over budget, domestic flight transfer and a very early start on the last day if we want to catch the morning Emirates flight home; a la carte not buffet?

Athuruga - but will be paying for AI stuff that we don't want; and animators.

Robinson Club - but domestic flight transfer and may be a very early start on the last day if we want to catch the morning Emirates flight home; and is forever associated with ratty Don lol.

SS Laamu - but may be over budget, plus butlers & bikes (I seem to think it was Karla & I who discussed this one specifically a while back, and we threw it out the window).

I'm also going to get some thoughts from Richard to see if he has anything to tempt us away from Komandoo.

Edited: 20 June 2013, 06:31
Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: 10th wedding anniversary trip....Mirihi will be closed

Nice list there Lynphd, I was talking with my wife this morning about PHH as it's somewhere that's really caught my eye after reading a recent thread and some reviews on here and i'd REALLY like to see the reef. Something she suggested that I hadn't even considered was doing a week at PHH and then a second week somewhere else which is an easier transfer than PHH for getting the early Emirates flight. That might be a winner for us as we could have a more leisurely transfer time returning from PHH.

Of the list you mention we've been to Baros. We really enjoyed it there and would definitely return. It's my wife's current favourite. I think Mirihi edges it for me for the reef and also to me it's just such a picture perfect island. The provision (food/rooms/service) on Baros was outstanding though so it's neck and neck on that score. We talked about Baros as the second week option for what I just mentioned above. Also I like the look of Angsana Ihuru and Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru. The only things putting me off Angsana is the lack of dining options. The reef is meant to be decent.

Cheers

Rob

suffolk
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: 10th wedding anniversary trip....Mirihi will be closed

I look at Ath a different way .You don't pay extra for the AI . So anything you have is a nice free bonus .

Don't ever feel the need to cram as much food and drink into me just coz its free . Just nice to have what you want when you feel like it .

The animators on Ath were no problem dont really know what they did . Saw aqua aerobics once and beach volleyball in the evening . Nothing like the animations teams in Egypt with loud music ,silly quizzes and stupid dancing etc etc . They really p*** me off there .

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,966 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: 10th wedding anniversary trip....Mirihi will be closed

Rob - it did cross my mind too to switch islands for the 2nd week....but if I was as relaxed as we are after a week on Mirihi I wouldn't feel like wasting time packing, transferring, unpacking, settling in etc....!

And I wondered what the actual time benefit would be as we still leave pretty early by sea plane for the early Emirates flight.