We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Angaga

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,274 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Back from Angaga

First of all, apologies to those who had sent us messages while we were at Angaga, we saw them only after we got back home - But when we are on holiday, we unplug completely, no phones, no internet, they all go in the safe and come out only when we leave. Unless the weather is really crappy, but luckily, out of ten nights we were at Angaga, we had only one full rainy day, and two cloudy days with little rain, the rest was just sunny - pure heaven!

Now, Angaga, all the wonderful things you hear about the house reef, they are all true. It was amazing, never seen so many different sizes and shapes of corals, so many, all together in one house reef and we saw so many new species: Nurse sharks, many different species of sting rays, including two feather-tailed rays, few spotted Morena, batfish etc etc, and not only while snorkeling in the house reef, but most of them by just sitting on the veranda of the water villa, and every evening we would see a couple of eagle rays and a turtle swim by. it was just amazing.

FOOD: yikes. it is really as bad as some people warned me. Not enough variety, and that few that was, quality was pretty bad. even the fruit in the morning, was not fresh, just taken out of the fridge, the bananas were frozen cold. We were on FB, and almost everyday, what you had for Dinner, was the same thing you have for lunch next day... or vice versa. a big miss for the food.

NO MOSQUITOES. ten days, not one mozzie bite, we didn't even use mozzie spray at all. i was under the impression that the island had a secret to keep away the mozzies, but then one day at breakfast i saw couple of people with many bites along their legs, ouch. so i guess it was a big plus for the watervilla?

speaking of watervillas, they are great, very clean and spacious but a bit "worn out" the curtains are a bit old, the towels were losing thread, and some even had little holes in it... in real need for a refurbishment.

KIDS: when on holiday, we become ANTI-KIDS. at Angaga there were three families with very small (2-3year old) kids. But they were so very well behaved, if all kids were like that, we wouldn't be so anti-kids. lol

Whale shark trips... yes, the first trip was very successful we saw two whale sharks, but so many snorkelers just kept chasing after the poor gentle beast, who clearly was annoyed and was trying to get away, i didn't have the heart to chase it to take a picture, got one from far, just for the sake of it.

overall, Angaga was totally worth every cent. (it was really cheap). Our review will be published in the next few days, in the meantime, enjoy the pictures here: flickr.com/photos/…

We are also working on a video which i will link here as soon as its online.

If you have any questions about Angaga, fire away, and yes, we will write a "Filitheyo vs Angaga", just for the sake of comparison.

Peace

Shawn & Caterina

Edited: 25 June 2013, 20:48
Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,274 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Back from Angaga

Karla - yeah, Filitheyo had the same price for 7 nights on HB for a Beach Villa. (including air taxi)

Cakestin - Thanks. the first two days the visibility was pretty bad. but then it all turned good and amazing :)

DP - For now its either Vila o Athuruga on the list. let's see who makes it as our next trip :D

Andy - so you would pick Athuruga over Vila?

Irene - comparison coming up asap :)

Paul - LOL

Froggy - thanks :) (gonna do one more in Sicily in August with Caterina's parents and relatives and friends :)

Karlsruhe, Germany
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Back from Angaga

I would echo a lot of Andy's views of Vila. The whale shark and manta trips we did from there were like a circus. I would definitely return to Athuruga before Vila.

Norway
Level Contributor
819 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Back from Angaga

ShawnWithCaterina, regarding the mosquitos... I think the reason you didn't notice them was because you stayed in a water villa. We have never been bitten as badly as we were at Angaga (beach villa). It was really bad and we were itching to death at one point! Definitely a big plus for water villas!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,182 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Back from Angaga

Shawn with cat

We think Athuruga is our next island ;-) can't wait to compare the reef with vilamendhoo.

Won't be till next year now ;-)

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,274 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Back from Angaga

Irene: yeah i think so. also in Filitheyo there are no mosquitoes at all in the water villas, while in the restuarant and the bar you feel them. While in Angaga, we didnt feel them in water villa or bar or restaurant.

DP: awesome. when are you planning to? We are still deciding between Vila and Athuruga

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,182 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Back from Angaga

Shawn with Cat

Probably between August and November next year ;-) already been to the Maldives this year and are looking to go to marsa alam this autumn

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,274 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Back from Angaga

Lovely.

we will be going next June (got Madagascar planned for October), still have to decide between Athuruga and Vila...

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Back from Angaga

Three times is a charm,,,:-))

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,274 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Back from Angaga

lol :D i wish i had a fourth celebration, just to see what you come up with :D lol

Edited: 26 June 2013, 22:39
suffolk
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Back from Angaga

Athuruga- Vila no comparisons can be offered that i can think of ....

The reef at vila is almost as good . Both in the south ari :-)

Andy