We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Angaga

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,125 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Back from Angaga

First of all, apologies to those who had sent us messages while we were at Angaga, we saw them only after we got back home - But when we are on holiday, we unplug completely, no phones, no internet, they all go in the safe and come out only when we leave. Unless the weather is really crappy, but luckily, out of ten nights we were at Angaga, we had only one full rainy day, and two cloudy days with little rain, the rest was just sunny - pure heaven!

Now, Angaga, all the wonderful things you hear about the house reef, they are all true. It was amazing, never seen so many different sizes and shapes of corals, so many, all together in one house reef and we saw so many new species: Nurse sharks, many different species of sting rays, including two feather-tailed rays, few spotted Morena, batfish etc etc, and not only while snorkeling in the house reef, but most of them by just sitting on the veranda of the water villa, and every evening we would see a couple of eagle rays and a turtle swim by. it was just amazing.

FOOD: yikes. it is really as bad as some people warned me. Not enough variety, and that few that was, quality was pretty bad. even the fruit in the morning, was not fresh, just taken out of the fridge, the bananas were frozen cold. We were on FB, and almost everyday, what you had for Dinner, was the same thing you have for lunch next day... or vice versa. a big miss for the food.

NO MOSQUITOES. ten days, not one mozzie bite, we didn't even use mozzie spray at all. i was under the impression that the island had a secret to keep away the mozzies, but then one day at breakfast i saw couple of people with many bites along their legs, ouch. so i guess it was a big plus for the watervilla?

speaking of watervillas, they are great, very clean and spacious but a bit "worn out" the curtains are a bit old, the towels were losing thread, and some even had little holes in it... in real need for a refurbishment.

KIDS: when on holiday, we become ANTI-KIDS. at Angaga there were three families with very small (2-3year old) kids. But they were so very well behaved, if all kids were like that, we wouldn't be so anti-kids. lol

Whale shark trips... yes, the first trip was very successful we saw two whale sharks, but so many snorkelers just kept chasing after the poor gentle beast, who clearly was annoyed and was trying to get away, i didn't have the heart to chase it to take a picture, got one from far, just for the sake of it.

overall, Angaga was totally worth every cent. (it was really cheap). Our review will be published in the next few days, in the meantime, enjoy the pictures here: flickr.com/photos/…

We are also working on a video which i will link here as soon as its online.

If you have any questions about Angaga, fire away, and yes, we will write a "Filitheyo vs Angaga", just for the sake of comparison.

Peace

Shawn & Caterina

Edited: 25 June 2013, 20:48
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Back from Angaga

4 is something better:-))

suffolk
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Back from Angaga

Cats there were no mossies anywhere on Athuruga last year or Mirihi this year . Even the Mrs didn't bother using repellents'

Andy

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Back from Angaga

Nope, no mossies anywhere on Athuruga last year. No repellents used

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Back from Angaga

I normally get bitten to death but still use mozzie spray. So if I don't use mozzie spray next time I am on Mirihi and I get bitten? ..... someone will have a lot to answer for lol ....

....AG

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,125 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Back from Angaga

great, Athuruga or Vila... October or next June... decisions decisions... lol

activegirl: LOL

46. Re: Back from Angaga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 05:16