We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another choice of hotel question !

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
264 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Another choice of hotel question !

Hi guys,

We travelled to Meeru back in 2008 and loved every minute !

We have recently started looking at going the Maldives again and found (obviously) the prices have shot up and we can't seem to fly from Manchester to Male as part of a package.

We have approx £2000 - £2500 each to spend on 14 nights all inc on an island with a nice beach, snorkelling trips and generally the same laid back no shoes no news attitude as meeru but with the facilities if you want them. Room wise we are happy for a beach villa as we know water villas or over the water villas are out of our price range :)

I have been reading through reviews for equator village, Rannalhi and Hudhurranfushi but am getting confused with some excellent reviews and then the odd one saying "stolen money" and "termite problems"

Any advice on island to choose would be great

Thanks

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
264 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another choice of hotel question !

Sorry I forgot to mention travelling Sept, October or Nov - we are quite flexible :)

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another choice of hotel question !

When are you planning on going? That will decide what your budget can get you but I have to say, your budget is reasonable and you could get much better resorts than those ones, depending in your other requirements -board basis, room type, snorkeling etc?

You cannot fly direct from man, only London with ba or Thomson until April next year.

Have a read of the FAQ - which room/reef etc and try to give us some more criteria to work with.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another choice of hotel question !

Cross posted....

I would have said vilamendhoo but only available through Thomson from London.

Have a look at reethi beach and kuramathi to get you started. Kura is bigger with more to do and a great select all inclusive package whereas reethi is smaller but very popular.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
264 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another choice of hotel question !

Thanks Jody,

Realised when I posted I had forgotten dates :)

We would like the best island for our money really - doesn't everyone !

As we stayed at Meeru last time I am thinking it might be good to try south atolls rather than north again- although getting my husband in a seaplane might be an issue , he isn't a good flyer !

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
264 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another choice of hotel question !

Crossed post again :) will have a look at those - thanks for your advice Jody !!

norfolk
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another choice of hotel question !

Reethi is a very good suggestion, we paid, in prime time Easter Hols, this year, £4,900 4 2 weeks AI, so you should get that in budget and will be a step up from Meeru.

Not been to Vilamendhoo but from my friends reports who have visited, comments are that Reethi is more upmarket than vila.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another choice of hotel question !

Either Reethi or Kuramathi would be nice choices and you will not need to take a boat excursion to snorkel (although trips to other reefs are available) because both, unlike Meeru, have an accessible house reef. Equator is far down south and will require a domestic internal flight - not a seaplane. It is a basic budget resort, with no access to the reef and I think you might be disappointed after Meeru. Hudhuranfushi is well known for its surfing but not its reef. A recent review of Rannalhi made by Richard from Purely maldives was quite favourable - its still a basic budget island requiring a speedboat transfer with standard rooms in blocks but may be a good value for money option.

If these were my criteria and budget I would also look at Eriyadu (not sure about AI), Maayafushi and Dhiggiri (currently through Expedia)

Edited: 28 June 2013, 23:10
8. Re: Another choice of hotel question !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 07:18