We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Robinson club

england
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Robinson club

Sat at Male waiting for the internal flight. Flight from Manchester to Doha quite busy but Doha to Male half empty. I managed to get a row of seats to myself despite the best attempts of the stewardess to seat a relative of one of the flight crew on my row. I resisted all approaches to me and therefore managed to get about 3 hours sleep on that flight. The new terminal at Doha is quite easy to navigate and you are just steps away from the gate for the Male flight when you enter the terminal.

The lounge at the domestic terminal at Male is quite nice with a good complimentary buffer and free wifi for 4 hours.

So far have realised that I have left hairbrush and ecig chargers at home. Other than that all going swimmingly but there's lots of time left for that to change.

Weather is 28degrees and really quite sunny.

Further reports to come.

suffolk
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Robinson club

Onon enjoy . Looking forward to the mayhem lol . Glad you found your way there ok .

It will be interesting to see if Athuruga is still the favourite . My guess is ....yup .

Also glad you got through Doha ok this time :-)

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
984 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Robinson club

Been to Athuruga and Robinson (twice) and Robinson in our opinion is the better island.

Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Robinson club

Thanks for posting. Looking forward to hearing lots about your holiday. Robinson Club Island sounds like a good one courtesy of Turquoise as she has piqued the interest of many with her posts.

Have a great holiday, keep the posts coming :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Robinson club

I agree with Suzanne. Been to both Athuruga and Robinson Club, and we much prefer the latter.

england
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Robinson club

Andy - mayhem - moi? As if. Well today has been completely uneventful. Mind you, I did not get up until lunch was almost over. I slept from just after midnight until 2.10pm - obviously needed the sleep.

Not over enthused with the food thus far. But the restaurant is gorgeous. You sit where you like and there is lots and lots of seating outside. During the day, many of the tables are shaded so you are not too hot when eating. I wonder whether my lack of enthusiasm has something to do with me being tired? Dinner tonight will tell.

As I said before no matchy match so far but another development is the use of umbrellas during the daylight hours. Some have even brought their own gamps - or is it gimps with super reflective coating on the outside. The reef is really really easy to access. It is a matter of feet, not yards from the shore. I had a short but nice snorkel this afternoon. Lots of fish. Two humungous trigger fish. Headed off in the opposite direction from them.

Primarily the clientele is either German or Chinese. There are also some Russians.

I have decided, purely in the interests of research you understand to compare the costs of RC to Ath. Ath would have been more to book but here I have to pay for drinks during the day - or not at meal times. A pink drink aka Aperol Spritz is $14.20. I have decided not to stint myself and thus far my bar bill is $56.80. Now, what's that in real money.

It takes about 30 minutes longer to get here than Ath. The downside of this resort is that the next plane is scheduled so that if you miss the plane you are booked on, all the remaining flights might be full. If your plane is late and you are travelling by seaplane then the arrangement seems to be that you get on the next one. But, I had three hours between arriving and my next flight. That does not take into account immigration and getting bags etc.

Been bitten three times but they were fogging the island earlier so that might deal with that problem. Wifi throughout the island - but very slow as is usual in Maldives.

So far, so good. Weather today was hot and passing cloud only. Sea very very clear. Not millpond like but not choppy either.

The phone in my room does not work and you cannot have the fan on and the lights off. Who on earth would have thought that was a good arrangement? The end result is that you can either have the room cool with some lights on, or the room hot with all the lights off. Neither result means that I can sleep properly. That may be why I slept in so long today. I will give it another go tonight and see if a little more alcohol solves the problem. Both the above are really minor problems that I have not mentioned to the staff here on the basis that I can live with both.

Now to see what's for dinner.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,213 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Robinson club

I'm surprised you've not encountered the use of umbrellas to protect from the sun before - I'm also a fan of this as it is much more comfortable than a hat (too sweaty) and the added bonus of embarrassing my husband ;) I've been doing this since our first tropical holidays and am delighted that its a more common sight now.

Strange arrangement about the lights and fan.

england
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Robinson club

Karla - yes I have seen the gamps before but not in such profusion. They head down from WVs like a gaggle. Odd to see so many. But I have never seen the super reflective coatings before. And they are here again multiple times.

I was starting to feel the love BUT and it is a massive BUT, then came what was described as the disco. Manager of island introduced everybody and their wife who has anything to do with the resort. And I mean everybody. After 45 minutes I left and it was still going on as I hit the highroad. I can live with this sort of thing but not for so long and not when not one single room boy, bar man or waiter is introduced. They might of course come later but who would be alive by then. Anyone who had to listen much longer would have cut their throats. Those actually in the bar continued to politely clap - (guess their nationality -there were also some Germans left but I could not see their reaction) I like many others gave up the ghost and left. Heaven alone knows at what time the disco will start.

Food tonight was v good. I have a rule that I never have second helpings on the basis that I never enjoy the second helping as much as the first portion. Tonight I broke that rule and the second helping was just as good as the first. So, beginning to settle in but not 100% happy at the moment.

It is a bloody long walk from my room to the restaurant or any of the bars. I do not think that there are adequate arrangements for someone who is in a garden villa and wants to be on the beach during the day. That may change because I have a cunning plan...................

Because of the distance that I am from the restaurant/bars I did try to upgrade to a beach villa but they are fully booked until 8 /7.

Plus been bitten lots since last post.

Other than that all fab.

Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,166 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Robinson club

Yes, OnOn, it is a shame when waiters, roomboys etc. don't get a mention since they are the people we are most likely to run into and who contribute directly to how much we enjoy the holiday. All credit to Captain Fulhoo, formerly of the AE, when at the captain' s dinner night every single member of staff was brought to the fore and their contribution recognised. Admittedly it must be harder with many more staff, but at least a representative couple from each category could be introduced.

Does the bar bill you mention include the 10 and 8% add ons? Please keep us updated on this, don't be shy!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Robinson club

Brilliant posts, did not realise you were off so soon. Have a great holiday and keep the posts coming!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,213 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Robinson club

Oh, that does sound tiresome ...

Hope the underwater scenery as entertaining as above ;)

Not good about the bites - is that despite wearing DEET or similar?