We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Robinson club

england
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Robinson club

Sat at Male waiting for the internal flight. Flight from Manchester to Doha quite busy but Doha to Male half empty. I managed to get a row of seats to myself despite the best attempts of the stewardess to seat a relative of one of the flight crew on my row. I resisted all approaches to me and therefore managed to get about 3 hours sleep on that flight. The new terminal at Doha is quite easy to navigate and you are just steps away from the gate for the Male flight when you enter the terminal.

The lounge at the domestic terminal at Male is quite nice with a good complimentary buffer and free wifi for 4 hours.

So far have realised that I have left hairbrush and ecig chargers at home. Other than that all going swimmingly but there's lots of time left for that to change.

Weather is 28degrees and really quite sunny.

Further reports to come.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Robinson club

Love these blogs (am tempted to do one at PHH if they have good wi fi but I always say to myself that the phone must be switched off at the start of the holiday)

Interesting that the bar and restaurant are miles better than Ath but Ath in the lead by a long way. How do the rooms compare.? What is it that puts Ath in such a big lead?

My 5 main criteria are restaurant/food; Bar/cocktails/wine; reef; rooms; service ; so interesting how they each match up in the days ahead.

Norway
Level Contributor
819 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Robinson club

Great blog! Oh my - Mickey mouse... well each to their own ;)

Can you please write a little more about the reef? So many people say that RC tops both Athuruga and Mirihi, especially regarding fish life and more marine life. Rather disappointing if this is not the case, don't know if it would be worth the extra long journey then...

england
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Robinson club

Paul - why was Ath in the lead -because its familiar. I know it and know it well. I really do love Ath. I know you were not over enthused but each to their own. Read on however.

Before getting into the insidious comparison, let me tell you about the unexpected highlights of today. Sat there at lunch when member of staff comes up to me with a flyer for a special evening in Das Edel tomorrow night. (Das Edel is the a la carte restaurant.) He thrusts this into my hand and then asks me where I am from. When I tell him England, he not unreasonably comments - Well, you wont be able to read that then. Whilst this is true - it is in German, I am so gobsmacked by what I think is being proposed that I am unwilling to just agree he is right. I want to think about this further. Pidgin german leads me to believe that it is a lobster.waygu beef dinner. But that is not what takes my attention. It is the photograph of the star attraction - a man with a puppet that looks remarkably like the Emu that Rod Hull used to have. His comedic talent is I think described as explosive. All for $95 or 120 Euro. An absolute bargain and just my type of thing. Sadly as his act is completely in German I pass on this glorious opportunity.

Recovering from that I then see them. They match. The logo on the T shirt reads 'Caravan nation.' As someone who has an inbuilt dislike of caravans I am perplexed about why they would want such a logo and conclude they have never been stuck in a long line of traffic behind one of the bloody things.

I made a big mistake when I booked a garden room. I am miles from anywhere - well, relatively speaking. Because I am the only Brit here, the location and my lack of conversational German or Chinese does mean that I feel just a teeny bit isolated. If you were in a couple this would not be an issue I think. If I were nearer the bar it would be better.

Massive tip - if you book a garden room you do not want a room about 1413 - honestly you don't. If you are given 1420 - put foot down and have big strop. Worst rooms on the island by a long chalk.

Food -, I am not yet sure which I prefer, here or Ath. I think the cooking is much much better here. Head and shoulders above Ath. But, but, I still have not decided which I prefer. Tonight barbecue. A bit of a curate's egg.

Reef - I had a fantastic snorkel today. See calm and now is even calmer. As I potter along young lout jumps into sea by jetty missing me by inches. So disorientated by this that I gaily snorkel into the jetty twice. Big lump on side of ear. I did think at one point that the reef was no better than Ath. Then I went past the jetty. The coral is amazing in parts. Extremely colourful. Quite a few fish. Saw a turtle on the reef and one shark - black tip. Some huge fish. Absolutely huge. More reports on fish as I go along.

Wifi very slow. Cannot get emails to download due to slowness of wifi. Cannot listen to BBC.

Glad to hear about the toilets T23. Will now bond with master switch. Have already tried this and failed.

Hot, sultry and just gorgeous today. Found lounger by pool. But you cannot sit up to read because the back does not adjust. (I know, I grumble about everything. A large part of my holiday is reading so this is important to me.)

Irene it is not an extra long journey here. You can spend hours waiting for a seaplane. At least coming here you know definitely what time the next step is. I did not find it difficult or tedious and I am a bear of very little patience.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Robinson club

Hmmm. There has to be solutions...

Ask for cushion for lounger....ask for room change to one closer to the bar and be proud when you do so:-))

Shame about comedian. Surprised its all in German. Paul said something similar about movies at athuruga having German subtitles or dubbed in German. I guess us Brits just expect English everywhere and are surprised when it's not ( I mean myself here).

england
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
35. Re: Robinson club

This is really interesting booked for end of Feb 2014, we wanted to go to Ath (prices to high in a water villa hubby will not go with villa on the beach) so based on limited reviews of house reef and the fact we can have a water villa ( hopefully avoiding some bugs) we decided on rc, from what I am reading and early days the food is good ! The hosting is maybe slightly different (again depends on what you are looking for) transfers well waited five hours 13 years ago to get to reethi beach so not phased-:) please please keep up with the reviews -:) wifi hubby would be over the moon if this did not work at all ! Me I would go into panic mood

Norway
Level Contributor
819 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Robinson club

0n0n - good point about the transfer... when I think about it, we waited around 3-4 hours for seaplane to Athuruga so at least RC is more predictable with a set time table for the plane.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Robinson club

Unbelievable, cheesy entertainment and they expect you to pay ...;)

On the upside, lovely food and the reef sounds great!

Looking forward to reading more

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,400 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Robinson club

OnOn

I am sorry RC does not live up to your expectations. If it is taking you longer than 5 min to reach the restaurant I think you may be going the long way around! Easily done, as we got lost even on our second visit. There is a path that runs past the spa which is 3 min walk max. The size of RC is 573m by 211m Athuruga is 250m by 240m with 30 less rooms.

I hope you have sorted your lights and fan out. I know what you mean as another guest we spoke to had a similar problem, but the lights and fan do work both together and independently, but the master switch over rides this. Had I been on my own I probably would have has a similar dilemma.

There were various seating options by the pool when we were there and the beds on the beach all adjust?

We also on both our trips suffered no bites. It could be because of the island closing and not being sprayed for a couple of months.

We were never sold any cheesy entertainment. I must admit we did not often go to the main bar after dinner, but all we ever saw was low key singing, a beach party one night and the pool party.

All the staff were lovely. We did however get the feeling this last time around that the German GM was a bit miffed some Brits had found his private club. I am not sure I understood the bit where he was introducing people and where you were at the time, but we didn't experience any thing like that. Maybe because we are a couple and tend to stick to ourselves we never came across things like that, although I did try to find out were the disco was held this time around.

What is wrong with the food? I really thought it brilliant although last time around some things were in strange places ie Hash Browns and Baked beans were in the Maldivian section and the soup had been moved to the desert section? I loved all the fresh fish, salads, sushi, pizza, wok and pasta station , fillet steak and I really can't think what was missing for me. Even 10 types of cheese and lots of condiments I am sometimes missing, sundried tomatoes, olives and capers too.

Anyway I hope your whole experience improves. Have you seen any turtles yet? I would recommend going on the free guided snorkel (twice a day) as they take you to great spots and one you may not venture out to on you own

Regards T23

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,400 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Robinson club

Sorry, I see you have seen a turtle. Jolly good!

Also the closest rooms to the restaurant are probably the 5 garden rooms that are situated on the front. Have they given you a map? There is a Chinese lady that works for guest relations. She has been there on both our visits (her name escapes me) Go to her with any of your concerns and she will happily help. Also if there is food you want that is missing ask the chef. They made me Mas Huni every second day for breakfast.

There is also a beach bar by the dive school, which is right next to the Garden villas. Is that not open? It was on our first but not our second visit. Position 14 on map.

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Robinson club

We also ignored the cheesy events. The club atmosphere can be off-putting to some, but we actively avoided any entertainment (much like the animation team at Athuruga) and kept to the secluded parts of the island. It wasn't difficult given the larger size of the island. Everything else about Robinson Club we loved though, and it is in my top three favorite islands along with Park Hyatt Hadahaa and Mirihi. I thought the corals were quite a bit more impressive than Athuruga, although the quantity of fish was similar (and very variable) at both reefs. Regarding the food, we definitely thought Robinson Club was superior compared to Athuruga.