We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

Hi I'm on Meeru now and...how to express...I'm totally disappointed with beach quality...all beaches around the island are covered by ugly leaves of sea grass...there is one meter wide strip around whole island with these seagrass leaves brought by waves...I'm amazed that no one on this forum or on any others ( meeru.co.uk) didnt mentioned this problem...I asked here about beauty and prettiness of Meeru and no one replied about this huge problem...Resort tries to do with it something, but it's nearly impossible because every new wave bring new seagrass on the beach.....

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

Oh dear, thats a shame, Well, I've not been, but what you are saying is highly unusual, the reviews and the traveller pics, which are more telling, show clear beaches, i just had a look, so that would be why no one mentioned it, as it was not a problem before.

Maybe it's time of year related and to do with the weather? Maybe you can post a link to some pics so people can see how bad it is?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,474 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

That sort of thing happens here in England. Storms and other weather problems can cause the waves to pull seaweed out and it will be washed up for some time before the sea clears itself.

It's good to hear that the staff are trying to clear it. Remember is it quite normal on islands, it's just that the resorts clear the beach all the time. Looks like there has been a bad storm, perhaps before you got there and it is still comming in on the tide.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

Have to agree with Sue. When we were there - admittedly some time ago - seagrass was a problem in just one area, but it was difficult to access the water in this area as it was quite prolific, actually growing in the sea, near the shoreline. The most likely explanation is the time of year. It is the rainy season and therefore the winds are higher and the seas higher, causing it to deposit on the shoreline not just from Meeru itself, but from nearby islands as well.

SL

Edited: 02 July 2013, 19:59
London
Level Contributor
887 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

Sorry to hear that, went there once in drier season and did not see any seagrass. As others mentioned, could be a seasonal issue / caused by storms.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=avkn81&s=5

Here is the picture, the west side is much more worse than east...the seagrass is growing in the water just few meters from beach...so I think this problem has to be here before....but no one has mentioned it in forum or in reviws....sad :-(

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

I guess everyone has different tolerance levels. I actually don't see that as a problem, never mind a huge problem, It's probably just weather related and the staff as you said are cleaning it. You are on a tiny island so have to be aware of the elements.

Just try to enjoy your holiday, not make it a big deal and ignore it:-))

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

Seriously? I was expect to see a half jungle lying on the beach, not a few strands at the waters edge.

Just remember jura, lots of seagrass means lots of turtle food!

england
Level Contributor
125 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

that's not a big problem just nature,as said without the weed no turtles

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

After seeing your photo I can totally understand why nobody else has mentioned the problem. Enjoy yourself, you are in a part of the world most of us would love to be right now.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

I don't know why. But I suspect that picture is taken early in the morning, and it does look like at the top of the picture the sea grass tapers out. So ie this picture is taken before staff can clean it and in the worst /only area, and as everyone says, it's just some sea grass and not a lot of it.

The thread is a bit strange actually. Obviously the op has a big problem with it, but I think probably most other people would not give it a second glance, hence why it's not been mentioned, also the other traveller photos don't show this on their review section.

Overall unusual.