We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

Hi I'm on Meeru now and...how to express...I'm totally disappointed with beach quality...all beaches around the island are covered by ugly leaves of sea grass...there is one meter wide strip around whole island with these seagrass leaves brought by waves...I'm amazed that no one on this forum or on any others ( meeru.co.uk) didnt mentioned this problem...I asked here about beauty and prettiness of Meeru and no one replied about this huge problem...Resort tries to do with it something, but it's nearly impossible because every new wave bring new seagrass on the beach.....

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

Yup - that's what it was like at low tide on one stretch of the west side when we were there. High tide wasn't as bad. only that one area though during our visit.

SL

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

Like SL said there is a large submerged meadow of seagrass on the west side of the island but none on the east. Honestly, that amount on the beach wouldn't even register with me so impossible to say if it was like that when I visited.

I think it can be hard reconciling reality with the pictures in the brochures.

Edited: 05 July 2013, 20:26
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

Janjans picture works:-)) and yep, that would have been a problem if whole island. To be honest I was expecting something similar so was surprised when I saw the ops picture.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,093 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

Janjans, ups, that would be a serious problem...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
710 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

Why would this spoil your holiday.

try going to an uninhabited island and you will see the real Maldives

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

I do hope Jura comes back and helps us understand. Sometimes people don't if people do not agree with them, they simply decide not to interact anymore, and I really would like to understand more why this is such a problem.

Jura, if you are reading the thread, which I suspect you are, maybe you can articulate why this is a problem for you?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
32,021 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

Seagrass is exciting for me, it means seahorses, turtles and dugongs.

Maybe it is a disappointment when you see photos of pristine beaches and expect that. A bit like the beautiful pools in some resorts then when you get there it is full of people, noisy and eating burgers.

Or the sandy coves in Hurghada where the sand is greyish and imported in reality, clouding the sea.

I think if it is very important to get the pristine then you need to consider going in high season and an expensive island so you don't risk the result of monsoons.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,093 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

Well, I understand that Jura prefers a "clean" beach withouth seaweed, so do I, and I don't like to go into the water and touch the seagrass, I can't deal with that, it's disgusting for me, but as long as seagrass is far enough and the amount taken by the waves is more or less like Jura's picture, it'd be ok for me... But yes, it isn't a perfect beach picture, and if he had a perfect image in his mind, he may feel dissapointed...

Islands with such a big lagoon usually have seagrass, as Lux or Shangri-la, which in some moments have had seagrass problems, but I have never seen seaweed at any Maldivian resort till now...

Edited: 06 July 2013, 15:08
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

First time I've looked at the image. WHAT is the problem?.. Can hardly see it

Sittingbourne...
Level Contributor
282 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Meeru - Big problem with seagrass on the beaches

Never really seen that much sea grass in the Maldives, the Seychelles though..........