We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling through Dubai during Ramadan

Travelling through Dubai during Ramadan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 17:06
Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling through Dubai during Ramadan

Hi

Not quite sure what you're asking firstly Dubai is an international airport you'll see all sorts of clothes on display .Both airports are air conditioned but when you step out of the plane on to the tarmac at Male it's like walking into an oven. Coming from colder countries like the UK lots of people either change at Dubai or on the plane into more suitable clothing

Regards

Doug

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling through Dubai during Ramadan

Hi,

I live in Dubai. Firstly there is no need to worry about Ramadan. In terms of clothing, for a woman ensure your shoulders are covered and skirt/dress at least to just below your knees (Ideally a bit longer, but below knees is ok). Nothing too revealing cleavage wise and preferably nothing too skin tight. For a bloke, ensure shorts are to knee/below. I tend to wear light cargo pants. Loose light clothing is best. I tend to find it too hot for shorts outside in 50c!

I've not traveled through the airport at Ramadan, so not sure what the eating, drinking and smoking arrangements are. Worst case scenario is there will be a sectioned off area to eat/drink.

Ramadan is a special time of year. It can be a bit tricky with the heat when it falls at this time of year, but it is a very calm atmosphere and a lot less people around. I enjoy it! During the day just remember that some of the people working at the airport, as well as some passengers will be not with it/a bit slow reacting. The afternoon is when the blood sugar levels drop, along with concentration.

Enjoy your trip...

3. Re: Travelling through Dubai during Ramadan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 17:06
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling through Dubai during Ramadan

I guarantee you will see people in inappropriate clothing. It is a sad fact that some people walk around malls here wearing less than some do on a beach! They may get away with it, or not, but that isn't the point. As long as you make an effort then the locals will appreciate it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling through Dubai during Ramadan

have to agree with Mike. Although I have not been in ramadam, i have been a few other times, and I always make a point of dressing appropriately out of respect, I sometimes look around and think I may be the only tourist who is. You will see all sorts, short shorts, vest tops, you name it, many people seem uneducated or dont care.

However making an effort to get it right is always a good thing.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling through Dubai during Ramadan

The bit that makes me mad Froggy is that some of the worst culprits are residents who should know better. First time visitors I can understand as I didn't know much about the place the first time I visited. The OP is to be commended for taking the trouble to find out.

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling through Dubai during Ramadan

Hi

I always find these arguments somewhat one sided there are plenty of women wandering around in Burkas in the UK who don't care whether residents here find it offensive or not

Regards

Doug

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling through Dubai during Ramadan

I don't understand, why would you find a burka offensive? I understand why public decency and covering up is required in some countries, and why revealing flesh can be seen as offensive, but I don't see the link between that and voluntarily covering up in a burka.

I don't really understand it, nor would want to wear one, but I am certainly not offended if someone does. I genuinely don't understand why it would offend anyone.

Truro, United...
Level Contributor
580 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling through Dubai during Ramadan

Hadn't really thought about it before, but should we be covering our shoulders with a wrap or something as we get off the plane and pass through Male airport during Ramadan? Rather than wearing my usual vest top and long skirt...thoughts?

BFB

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,212 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling through Dubai during Ramadan

I found a short sleeved jersey maxi dress in Wallis that covered my knees and shoulders and was comfy for the long journey and took a cardi in case of draughts on the plane. Worked fine apart from the sparkly bits on my flat sandals that kept catching on the hem of my dress!!!! You live and learn!!! Would definitely do the maxi dress again though as it was quite cool when we got to Male.