We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling with Mantarays In Maldives

Cambridge, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
Snorkelling with Mantarays In Maldives

Hi there. My husband and I are looking to travel to the Maldives with the specific purpose of seeing Manatarays. Neither of us have our dive certs so may only be able to snorkel. I have done a bit of research and it seems that the best place for Manataray swims are at the Baa Atoll in July-Oct and South Ari Atoll from Jan-April. We are hoping to go in Feb as this is better for weather but July also looks good for swimming. I am not sure if the info I have read is only for divers. Can anyone give me any more info on the best place to snorkel with Mantarays in Feb and July and what the weather is like in July?

Cheers

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling with Mantarays In Maldives

There is another similar thread running currently on Mantas and whale sharks.....

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293953-i7445-k6…

The weather FAQ's at the top of the page will answer the weather side of things.....just think, best weather, higher prices.

John

Cambridge, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling with Mantarays In Maldives

Hi John, thanks for the info....I'm am kind of new to trip advisor. Have just had a look.....will keep an eye on the thread :-)

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling with Mantarays In Maldives

Well I've seen them in south ari in late may and baa late June.

Despite the higher prices I would say plump for Feb if possible, in peak season the sea is much, much calmer. But.....I think you'd stand a good chance in either area at the times you mention.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling with Mantarays In Maldives

We dive and snorkel. but the most we have seen was at a shallow site. a boat ride from Meeru' forgotten the name, we dived there but then snorkelled with them as they were all around the boat near the surface.

I am sure it is a regular manta spotting site that's why we were taken there, may be others will know the name and which other resorts are close by ( it was in feb.)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling with Mantarays In Maldives

We went to Baa atoll in June, Hanifaru bay was not yet open for tourist when I went. We snorkeled at a Manta site close to Hanifaru Bay and saw around 7 Mantas. We went to the same site on another day and saw none, so everything is by luck. The sea is very choppy in rainy season, so it might be better to go in Feb. if you are not a very good swimmer.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling with Mantarays In Maldives

I saw a whaleshark in August (not in hanifaru bay), in a trip from Royal Island (Baa Atoll) and I saw manta rays passing by at Halaveli's reef (north Ari Atoll), and I saw manta rays diving at Paradise Island (north Male Atoll).

7. Re: Snorkelling with Mantarays In Maldives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 05:17