We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back home to Mirihi!

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Back home to Mirihi!

hi guys .... I've returned home to Mirihi for our 5th trip there and it feels like I've never been away. Bliss! Everything is perfect as it should be .... good food, good service, great staff, brill snorkelling etc ................... except for one thing.... the weather!

We landed at Male just after it had rained apparently and arrived on Mirihi after a very cloudy seaplane trip after dropping off some guests at Vilamendoo. We arrived at Mirihi to a very warm welcome and the rest of the day remained cloudy with the sun appearing briefly. It then rained during the night and dawn broke with a bit of cloud and then the sun appeared for a couple of hours and then it rained/showered for about an hour where the sea became very rough. Around lunch time the sun came out again and sea was calm with no waves (take note Lynphd!). Off I went for a 2 hour snorkel at high tide, viz was clear and I went from the water villas round to the main jetty (eastern side way)..... saw a massive shoal (approx. 300) of sturgeonfish, a couple of metre long white tipped reef sharks and the usual fishes. What was unsual was the lone unicorn fish that followed me around for approx 150m along the reef and repeatedly getting into my camera shot,

Once I got out, it clouded over and rained heavily and lightly for a couple of hours and we didn't see the sun again - Karla, we made sure those mattresses didn't take off this time - No problem (just had an afternoon siesta to catch up on some missed sleep from the flight), I still got a bit pink on my back despite putting on suncream Factor 50! Just goes to show you can still get sunburnt when it's cloudy.

The "new" manager is no longer here and the island is ably managed by Shareef who has always taken over when the Manager is absent= he is always such a smiley happy guy. Currently sat in the bar area watching tennis and finishing off our dinner wine - good luck tomorrow for Andy Murray, lets hope he does us Brits proud, we've tried to get the final on the big screen but no avail. There was a whaleshark trip today but no whalesharks were spotted, just a manta, turtle and dolphins.

Spammie.... spoke to the dive school, they scoffed when I asked about dropping me off at Mirihi Corner and thought I was absolutely bonkers, and said it was too far away for safety reasons. I'll try again later in the week as I don't think the guy I spoke to was aware how strong a swimmer/snorkeller I was .... they seemed more concerned that I could drift off course (well I say concerned but when they laughed but that only made me more determined!)..

We have the complimentary 15 mins Spa massage booked for tomorrow and although it didn't particularly affect us greatly today, lets hope the weather improves tomorrow ..............for more great snorkelling ....................

Adios from the Indian Ocean paradise that is Mirihi for today ............ and now to start on one of the cocktails on offer ..............

..............Mirihi AG

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,359 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

Hello from sunny Edinburgh!

Glad you arrived well and had a good first day! The snorkel sounds fab, sigh, I cannot wait to be in the sea again ...

Hope the weather improves and yes, do look after those mattresses ;)

Say hi to your OH

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

Glad you arrived safely,,,good luck with the diving:-))

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

Ah, happy memories of being there and meeting you two years ago. Have a wonderful time :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

C'mon AG, how is it today?

I guess good as no posts,,,,:-))

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

lol Froggy ....it rained all night and this morning up to 10am then it was cloudy with the sun trying to come out and finally broke through this afternoon, so it's definitely warming up ...........

OH went to the Spa for his complimentary massage, for some reason the Spa only had booked in 1 pax instead of 2 so I went snorkelling instead but the tide was going out and rather cloudy so gave up pretty quickly, haven't seen the reef turtle yet.... but plenty of reef sharks ............

We arrived on the same plane as the new dive instructor, Lizi from Austria. Great girl and a cracking personality to match. Her enthusiasm and energy is great to see and so infrectious. Haf another word with the dive school about being dropped off at Mirihi Corner and snorkelling back .... no luck due to health and safety reasons :(

It was seafood night tonight, and absolutely faultless - great to see Fernando at the helm.. certainly been great to see him again as he had been away visiting his family last 2 times we had been here..... OH is booking himself in for a cookery course with Fernando but little has he realised he'll be doing the Maldivian and Sri Lankan curries (and the rest of the cooking) once we return home ........

Lots of Chinese nationals here at the moment and although I shouldn't say this .... has been very amusing to watch as usual..............

Plans for tomorrow ... sunrise snorkel at 6am (weather permitting) and another at high tide probably ................

great to be back in paradise......

...............AG

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,359 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

Thanks for the update - I assume you've also been watching the tennis? I don't usually but made an exception. Great result :)

Glad to hear all is well and you're enjoying yourselves. Have the jellyfish disappeared now?

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

Wi-Fi keeps going down in the bar but works brilliantly in the WV's - all free.

Yes thanks Karla, jellyfish all gone now, spent an hour snorkelling after sunrise and a 2 hour stint lunch time at low tide and found a large turtle between the bar and the main jetty and tracked it for an hour. Great stuff. No rain overnight, and sunny all day with a few spots of rain at 5-ish. Got so hot, it was like walking on hot coals Actually the room boy has just knocked on our door to ask if he could come in and take down our decking umbrellas as a storm is brewing apparently, but it looks okay here so far .....so maybe I've just spoken too soon......

Off for pre-dinner drinks soon ..... do I take a brolly or not? ...... theme for dinner is All Time Classics.

Great stuff re Andy Murray ... we and a few other Brits and cheered round the TV ....... Good result Andy and well deserved .......

Tomorrow's plan is to do things that I want to do but have not had time to do thus far ..... kayaking being the main one... I must take a sneaky peek at breakfast (remembering the earlier thread on the subject before arriving here) and spot who don't face up to breakfast and who overindulges. Me? I had poached egg on toast this morning and 3 slices of pineapple. Greedy or wot? I managed to refrain from those delicious looking pasties .........................

Not sure if to continue with the 'blog' .... even if someone wants to know about the weather or whatever..... sounding rather boring atm lol........

AG

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

Activegirl, your posts are great, I like very much reading them...

I remember great icecreams at meals there, are they still so good?

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

it was also v hot in tetbury and Chipping Norton at the weekend AG!!

Seattle
Level Contributor
80 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

Love hearing about it, wish we were back! Weather doesn't sound too bad so far, I hope it holds out for you. Will you snorkel on any of the boost trips?