We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back home to Mirihi!

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Back home to Mirihi!

hi guys .... I've returned home to Mirihi for our 5th trip there and it feels like I've never been away. Bliss! Everything is perfect as it should be .... good food, good service, great staff, brill snorkelling etc ................... except for one thing.... the weather!

We landed at Male just after it had rained apparently and arrived on Mirihi after a very cloudy seaplane trip after dropping off some guests at Vilamendoo. We arrived at Mirihi to a very warm welcome and the rest of the day remained cloudy with the sun appearing briefly. It then rained during the night and dawn broke with a bit of cloud and then the sun appeared for a couple of hours and then it rained/showered for about an hour where the sea became very rough. Around lunch time the sun came out again and sea was calm with no waves (take note Lynphd!). Off I went for a 2 hour snorkel at high tide, viz was clear and I went from the water villas round to the main jetty (eastern side way)..... saw a massive shoal (approx. 300) of sturgeonfish, a couple of metre long white tipped reef sharks and the usual fishes. What was unsual was the lone unicorn fish that followed me around for approx 150m along the reef and repeatedly getting into my camera shot,

Once I got out, it clouded over and rained heavily and lightly for a couple of hours and we didn't see the sun again - Karla, we made sure those mattresses didn't take off this time - No problem (just had an afternoon siesta to catch up on some missed sleep from the flight), I still got a bit pink on my back despite putting on suncream Factor 50! Just goes to show you can still get sunburnt when it's cloudy.

The "new" manager is no longer here and the island is ably managed by Shareef who has always taken over when the Manager is absent= he is always such a smiley happy guy. Currently sat in the bar area watching tennis and finishing off our dinner wine - good luck tomorrow for Andy Murray, lets hope he does us Brits proud, we've tried to get the final on the big screen but no avail. There was a whaleshark trip today but no whalesharks were spotted, just a manta, turtle and dolphins.

Spammie.... spoke to the dive school, they scoffed when I asked about dropping me off at Mirihi Corner and thought I was absolutely bonkers, and said it was too far away for safety reasons. I'll try again later in the week as I don't think the guy I spoke to was aware how strong a swimmer/snorkeller I was .... they seemed more concerned that I could drift off course (well I say concerned but when they laughed but that only made me more determined!)..

We have the complimentary 15 mins Spa massage booked for tomorrow and although it didn't particularly affect us greatly today, lets hope the weather improves tomorrow ..............for more great snorkelling ....................

Adios from the Indian Ocean paradise that is Mirihi for today ............ and now to start on one of the cocktails on offer ..............

..............Mirihi AG

Leeds
Level Contributor
473 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

AG thanks for your reply, my last question I promise, on looking at a map of Mirihi, I cannot see anything called a dive jetty, only an arrival jetty and a service jetty, would I be correct that the service jetty is the same as the dive jetty.

Hope the weather holds for you and you enjoy the rest of your holiday....my wife is looking forward to the star gazing as your OH appears to enjoy.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

I gues the diving jetty is the service jetty, as it's close to the diving center...

Great snorkelling tips AG...

suffolk
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

Yup . Dive jetty and service jetty are one and the same .

Andy

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

Still blue skies - little cloud yesterday and none today .... a few clouds started to form late afternoon today but a good sunset seems on the cards. Very hot, little wind. It has gone eerily hazy. Yesterday visibility was great, saw 3 turtles, today's visibility quite cloudy - dependent where you were snorkelling.

Outside approx. WV 32 there's a family of clown fish also by the two poles on the reef .......... still haven't spotted one of the eels yet .... :(

Dive Video tonight, enjoyed last week's so much so may watch it again and it will be on the beach cinema again - with popcorn.

Can't believe the great weather we are having, calm waters, hardly much wind, drinking those lovely wild berries and vanilla milkshakes, they're recommended, yum yum! There's talk that when the weather is like this, then bad weather is coming ..............

Even the gardeners are watering the plants and trees and I've never ever seen that in all my July visits to the Maldives ....

Long may this lovely weather conditions continue ...............

...AG

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

Still suffering a heat wave in UK lol though thankfully not as much in Scotland :)

Cannot really take advantage of nice weather when you have to work anyway ...

Was wondering, when you return that many times, do you encounter the same fish in the same places?

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

Still no rain, sun is still out but is cloudy and seas were back to normal rather than the millpond effect encountered so far, but still good snorkelling weather. We were warned again at breakfast that jellyfish has been washed up but we didn't actually see any in the water. It seems more of a problem this year re the jellyfish as some people got stung yesterday and the day before but we have been fine personally.....

Might be worth sourcing a thin wetsuit if you are serious about going to Mirihi mainly for the snorkelling; just one of those thin ones that the Chinese wear would be ideal. if you already have a long sleeve rash vest the leggings to match would be ideal.....

Sunset was rubbish last night despite my predictions .........due to the haziness of the seas in the distance ..................

Tonight there was a wedding vows ceremony on the beach for a chlnese couple, some of the staff acted as wedding guests in matching Maldivian whites and bodu beru music...... they have another one on Saturday apparently....

Maldivian night was on the menu this evening so my orange bread pudding was on the menu :)

Last night, we walked back along the beach to the WV and saw these blue bright lights in the sand which we hadn't seen before; picked one up and covered it and it didn't glow in the moonlight; took one back to the water villa but couldn't see the blue light ...turns out they were plankton and it glows when it washes up on the beach and mix with wet sand. We walked again on the beach tonight and there were more, but were coming in with the tide, quite a sight all lit in the moonlight!!

Karla, no don't encounter the same fish in the same places year on year. There are about 7 baby reef sharks (and even more friendly) as last year's had grown and gone to the open ocean ....I suppose other fish grow and move on but the same ones do not take it's place. Having said that only the sharks seem to still hang around the high numbered WV's where it is deeper.

Word has it that 2 more whaleshark trips has taken place sincethe one I went on, but no whalesharks has been spotted so I have been really lucky............

.............AG

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

Karla.... just think it's not long before you have your own Maldivian heatwave and therefore won't be going to work!!! BUT I will be :(

..........AG

London
Level Contributor
885 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

Lucky weather!

Can't agree more with the rash guard, always wear one since being stung by a jelly fish... No matter what others think, being stung once was more than enough. Now looking for sth to cover my neck -- where the stingers stung me last time :((

Might even go to buy a wet suit lol...

Edited: 17 July 2013, 17:22
London
Level Contributor
885 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

Oh the little blue lights must be from planktons, very nice to watch, lucky! You will see more during a night snorkeling, turn the tourch off and kick the water, there will be loads, beautiful memories, Life of Pi, all we need is a whale shark around at night with planktons ;)) . By the way, they sting too, not as bad as jellies. :(( Although not sure if it's a good idea to venture to the sea at night when jellies are around -- that was when I got my stung :((

If only I brought my longer exposure camera to Maldives by then.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

Hi

I guess that makes sense, about the fish.

Oh, very jealous you saw the luminous plankton! I've always wanted to see that, looks stunning on photos

Yes, you're right, my hols still to come :)