We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back home to Mirihi!

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Back home to Mirihi!

hi guys .... I've returned home to Mirihi for our 5th trip there and it feels like I've never been away. Bliss! Everything is perfect as it should be .... good food, good service, great staff, brill snorkelling etc ................... except for one thing.... the weather!

We landed at Male just after it had rained apparently and arrived on Mirihi after a very cloudy seaplane trip after dropping off some guests at Vilamendoo. We arrived at Mirihi to a very warm welcome and the rest of the day remained cloudy with the sun appearing briefly. It then rained during the night and dawn broke with a bit of cloud and then the sun appeared for a couple of hours and then it rained/showered for about an hour where the sea became very rough. Around lunch time the sun came out again and sea was calm with no waves (take note Lynphd!). Off I went for a 2 hour snorkel at high tide, viz was clear and I went from the water villas round to the main jetty (eastern side way)..... saw a massive shoal (approx. 300) of sturgeonfish, a couple of metre long white tipped reef sharks and the usual fishes. What was unsual was the lone unicorn fish that followed me around for approx 150m along the reef and repeatedly getting into my camera shot,

Once I got out, it clouded over and rained heavily and lightly for a couple of hours and we didn't see the sun again - Karla, we made sure those mattresses didn't take off this time - No problem (just had an afternoon siesta to catch up on some missed sleep from the flight), I still got a bit pink on my back despite putting on suncream Factor 50! Just goes to show you can still get sunburnt when it's cloudy.

The "new" manager is no longer here and the island is ably managed by Shareef who has always taken over when the Manager is absent= he is always such a smiley happy guy. Currently sat in the bar area watching tennis and finishing off our dinner wine - good luck tomorrow for Andy Murray, lets hope he does us Brits proud, we've tried to get the final on the big screen but no avail. There was a whaleshark trip today but no whalesharks were spotted, just a manta, turtle and dolphins.

Spammie.... spoke to the dive school, they scoffed when I asked about dropping me off at Mirihi Corner and thought I was absolutely bonkers, and said it was too far away for safety reasons. I'll try again later in the week as I don't think the guy I spoke to was aware how strong a swimmer/snorkeller I was .... they seemed more concerned that I could drift off course (well I say concerned but when they laughed but that only made me more determined!)..

We have the complimentary 15 mins Spa massage booked for tomorrow and although it didn't particularly affect us greatly today, lets hope the weather improves tomorrow ..............for more great snorkelling ....................

Adios from the Indian Ocean paradise that is Mirihi for today ............ and now to start on one of the cocktails on offer ..............

..............Mirihi AG

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

Thank you for all the posts, AG, and wishing you and your OH and pleasant flight home - at least you'll have beautiful weather to look forward to!

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

Still no rain by the time we left Mirihi on Saturday .....

Friday was hot again, seas not too rough bit calmed by late afternoon, afternoon snorkel was a waste of time, poor visibility either side of the dive jetty but morning one a bit better, sometimes you have to snorkel past the bad viz to get to better one..... But although saw loads of fish - saw tons more clown fish sites - it was a rather disappointing last snorkel.......

Still we did have the beach cinema on our last night after the Asian theme dinner ....... Those hot puddings, I will be dreaming for a long while .......

Irene - thank you, was great to meet both of you (glad my noticeable blonde hair was a good lookout!) .... Enjoy the rest of your stay and have a safe trip back home to Norway ......

Karla .... It was raining when we got home :)

A word of warning for all future guests .. Even though you may have paid for pre booked seats (we paid for ours as soon as flights were released) ... Do keep checking your seats (check in as early as poss on return flight) as like Lynphd before us we got bumped off ours ..... Took 2 hours to get it back and bump off whoever bumped us off in the 1st place (a sole male traveller with an adjoining empty seat) .... Not what you want the hassle of on our last night ......we were rather annoyed as it was a condition of paying for the seats in the 1st place as soon as flights were released and Emirates shouldn't take advantage of guests already on hol who may not check in on line early enough .......

We had a wonderful seaplane flight by a female pilot who kindly took us for an aerial tour of Mirihi - twice! We made 2 stops - 1 at Conrad and 1 at Centara ... Was surprised how Centara is looking tired already considering it hadn't been opened too long ......

Lastly. A HUGE thank you to all those at Mirihi who made our stay so wonderful as always and a special thank you to Shareef who fixed the auto focus on my camera when it wouldn't work and to Mohammed on front desk who was so helpful and who alerted us to check the flight seats for our journey home and prevented hassle which could have made our holiday ending not as good ........

Mal & Oz - enjoy your stays at Mirihi & Karla enjoy Baros ......

....AG

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,088 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

AG - glad you had a great time!

Do you know how it is possible we got bumped out of our selected Emirates seats? And how did you get yours back?

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
84. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

One question, I have my pre booked seats for my Emirates flights (first time flying with them), but I haven't paid extra, should I? When am I expected to pay?

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,088 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

Maria - no we have never paid anything extra to book our seats with Emirates.

Leeds
Level Contributor
530 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

I am also curious about this bumping of seats, I have been to the Maldives before with emirates without issue, I have all my seats booked going and returning, surely those are fixed and cannot be allocated to someone else, can we confirm our return flights from Mirihi, either by reception or by doing it online the night before.

Our flight leaves around 10am from the airport so we cannot really book in early as we are at the mercy of the sea plane transfer.

Any advice from the people it's happened to.

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

Oz, you will be able to check in on-line at Mirihi from 24 hours before your flight departs. They'll give you an email address to send your boarding passes to and will print them out for you (or you can use a mobile boarding pass).

On-line check in usually avoids a bit of queuing at Male.

Edited: 22 July 2013, 11:07
Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

The main problem is that although you have pre booked seats they are snapped up once online check-in opens 24 hrs before your flight. So the crucial thing is check-in yourself on line as soon as check-in on line opens to prevent being bumped off. The additional problem we has was that when we paid for our flights and thus securing our required seats all these months ago, it was for a 777-300 plane but unknown to us Emirates changed the plane to 777-200 thus the seating numbers were different. Emirates did not inform us of this ......

We contacted Emirates at Male and complained that although they had sent me an email reminding me of the date and time of flight (we had the same flight & time as you Oz) at no point has they notified us of the change to a smaller plane to Dubai. This was how we got our seats back once we explained the reason we paid for the flight all those months ago.

Main thing you need do is check your seating arrangements matches the actual plane you are flying with on that particular return flight AND check-in on line early as poss on return flight.

Oz - this means checking-in on line the day before but do remember Male is 1 hr behind Mirihi time so this probably means 9am for you but my advice is try earlier if you can. You should receive an curtesy email about your flight around this time & check in details are on that although the email is one of those "do not reply" things - we got the Male Emirates tel no from Mirihi reception so they will assist if you run into problems.... We didn't check-in on line till the night before thinking our pre booked seats were safe. There is free wi-fi in your room so you can do this in your Villa ......

Lyn - were your plane changed from 777-300 to 777-200 do you know?

Maria - we did not pay extra for the seats but paid for the flight thus being able to secure the requested seats ....

Please note that Emirates did mention on their website that flights & seats are subject to change & also mentioned this on the telephone. Always an get out clause somewhere ....

....AG

Edited: 24 July 2013, 00:46
Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,088 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

AG- I don't know if our plane type was changed.

We do check in on line for our flight out to the Maldives, usually as soon as check in opens - but I had never realised that we had to do this to be sure we got the seats we'd booked/requested online some weeks before! I thought it was simply to speed things up when we drop the bags at Manchester.

And we've never given it much thought about checking in online before the flight home.

Edited: 24 July 2013, 05:25
Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
90. Re: Back home to Mirihi!

That change of plane was guilty forte change...

Thanks everybody for explaining... It's my first time with Emirates and I'm not too sure about them and Dubai airport still...

One funny thing (well, actually, not so fun), I've a 10% discount on emirates flights and I forgot to use it when I bought the flights, and when I realised, it was too late...