We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reethi beach water villa vs jacuzzi water villa for honeymoo

Basingstoke...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Reethi beach water villa vs jacuzzi water villa for honeymoo

Has anyone been to both that can recommend?

Vilamendoo is coming up £1k more.

We have never even to the Maldives before, will be going AI and want as nice a resort / accommodation as possible as its our honeymoon and first time in the Maldives.

I love snorkelling but have never been to any reefs just on the shore on holidays... We like to do things such as excursions occasionally.

We want as much seclusion / privacy as possible, peace and quiet hopefully ;) so Vila having the adult only bit appeals to me as does the reef... But then I have read the beaches aren't great on Vila and I love spending time on the beach too!

Can anyone help?

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reethi beach water villa vs jacuzzi water villa for honeymoo

As you are staying at a water villa, you won't have your own sunbeds at the beach, so I suppose you'll have to stay at the pool area at both islands if you want to be at the beach.

At Vila, most beach villas haven't a good beach, only jacuzzi beach villas have a good beach for sure...

If you want a good reef go to Vila...

When are you travelling? Maybe you could consider more options...

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reethi beach water villa vs jacuzzi water villa for honeymoo

You will have sunbeds on the beach at Reethi if you are in a WV, as the wv's are allocated numbered sunbeds. When we were there in April they were a bit crammed together, but you had them nonetheless and could move them about if you so wished. Reethi is the only island I've been to where the wv's are given sunbeds on the beach as well

Don't know about Vilamendhoo though.

Basingstoke...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reethi beach water villa vs jacuzzi water villa for honeymoo

Thanks guys! We are going in may.

We have been through this process already and narrowed down to reethi or Vila ... As we don't want a huge island... We 100% want AI... And we want a water villa.

The WV AT Vila seem superior and the adults only area really pulls for me as we are not a huge fan of children when ok holiday let alone honeymoon. Plus the reef. We will spend more time snorkelling, and in our villa / bars than sun bathing hence why I'm not worried about the Loungers.

We are happy to plonk towels down on the beach so the sunbeds aren't an issue.

More everything else I mentioned really..but we still want that paradise Maldives feel... And some people have said Vila is bigger and the beaches aren't too great?

Edited: 07 July 2013, 15:38
New Romney, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reethi beach water villa vs jacuzzi water villa for honeymoo

We've been to both islands. We are returning to reethi in 4 weeks and would never go back to Vila. The reef is better at Vila but we were disappointed with the service in the bars and restaurant. Never have we had to approach the bar so many times to get a drink as all barmen were standing around chatting!!! Don't worry about kids, if you see 2/3 then that is considered to be loads. Reethi seemed to have more fish and I personally get bored of looking at coral after a while. Reethi gets my vote!!

Basingstoke...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reethi beach water villa vs jacuzzi water villa for honeymoo

Were not interested in seeing coral in all honesty it's more the fish and sea life we want to see! If reethi has more fish then that's great.

Has anyone stayed In a WV?

2 or 3 wouldn't bother us so that's fine :-)

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reethi beach water villa vs jacuzzi water villa for honeymoo

We returned from our first trip to the Maldives a week ago and can't imagine what more an extra £1k would have bought us elsewhere.

We stayed in Water Villa 221 which allowed easy snorkelling and access to a huge number and variety of fish right off the deck. I love the beach and ocean whereas my hubby prefers a pool and we were both perfectly catered for. The beaches at Reethi are the best I've known anywhere. The staff also are amongst the best we've encountered anywhere in the world; polite, efficient, friendly, helpful, fun and at times so good they are "invisible".

We stayed B&B and ate a la carte every evening and I really don't think you could want for more. We also enjoyed a few cocktails each evening at happy hour or sitting at the Sunset bar. When we stayed there were three families with children - two toddlers and a group of 3 turkish boys, but they were absolutely no bother to us at all.

I obviously can't compare the two resorts you have selected but I'm sure Reethi wouldn't disappoint. We will definitely return.

Hope that's a help.

Debs

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reethi beach water villa vs jacuzzi water villa for honeymoo

Have been to both but only stayed in water villa at reethi. The wvs at Vila are much bigger and plushre but then if you've not stayed in one before you have no comparison.

We really enjoyed Vila at the time, but then we went to reethi and with hindsight, Vila was good but its very much a 'resort'. We have grown to hate AI dining so b&b at reethi is our perfect holiday and it's what we will to next year for the third time.

We though reethi was much more peaceful, personal and lush than Vila. The only thing it lacks is a great house reef.

norfolk
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reethi beach water villa vs jacuzzi water villa for honeymoo

,WE went to Reethi this Easter and what a fabulous island!

We stayed in a detached beach villa and it was very quite and peaceful.

The water villa's are semi detached, which is not brilliant, and to say the sun bed area is a little cramped, in my opinion is being generous. We walked through that area most days to get to the bar, and I must say 'Butlin's' springs to mind.

You can move the sunbeds about, but with a few inches space between them, will leave that to your imagination, but if that does not bother you, fine!

I have not been to vila, but again that sounds very resortish!

Personally if I wanted a water villa, would not choose Reethi for the fact semi detached and the sunbed situation. However for fine dining and quality wine then Reethi is a big yes!!

Edited: 07 July 2013, 23:34
Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reethi beach water villa vs jacuzzi water villa for honeymoo

I meant the beds can be moved from that area completely. They possibly already have been anyway due to the way the island changes shape. When we went in July 09 and 11, at least some of the water villa beds were on the spa side of the island. In April a couple of the wv beds had been moved to by the beach bar area, but again the beach there was wider in April than it will be now.

I'm sure there are other islands but like I said Reethi is the only one we've been to where those in water villas were even allocated beds on the beach at all, so wouldn't not choose a wv on that basis.

I just wouldn't choose one because I don't like them - much prefer beach living ;)

New Romney, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reethi beach water villa vs jacuzzi water villa for honeymoo

Diana, I do think referring it to butlins is a bit harsh! Have u ever been to butlins? A comment like that could put someone off reethi completely, it certainly would put me off if I hadn't been before. There is nothing about reethi that is remotely like butlins but if u can tell me of a butlins that is like reethi please share as I'm sure we would all like to go!!!!