We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Premature Informatiom ;-)

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Premature Informatiom ;-)

Ok I am not greedy so having been once this year I am looking towards next year's trip . I am always looking at possible new islands to visit and the maldivitus is my constant companion ;)

My question is how far in advance would you put your which island next post out to you experts ?

I am not looking to go until Oct 14 but it's killing me not to have an island to obsess over ;-)

Darryl

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Premature Informatiom ;-)

Totally understand , also love the researching bit, luckily ( or unluckily) we are now , for our last trip , SO budget conscious that , ruling out islands already visited, the decision was made for us, so not a lot of point asking for ideas..

2 weeks AI Ellaidho next march £4800 for 2. with the dreaded FC/Thomson, cannot beat it anywhere, so a done deal. Gone are the days of flitting between Islands, no point researching if out of price range now

Keep looking longingly at RC but cannot justify price , or , cut back on other holidays, Pleased to have been to most on my wish list. but cannot resist the odd browse on here :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Premature Informatiom ;-)

I only obsess once I book it,,,,:-))

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Premature Informatiom ;-)

I think the biggest problem is that things can change....islands can close down for renovation periods, management can change, guest demographic can change, prices can change...blah blah.

That doesn't mean research has to stop though, I have narrowed down next year to 3 islands and every week or so I just check reviews, new pics etc to see how they are going and what the general feeling is.

We generally book 6-8 months before and once the flight prices are confirmed for next summer I will start keeping an eye on prices and book when I feel it's good value.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Premature Informatiom ;-)

I don't really start researching the following year's big long haul holiday until we've returned...but then the research starts almost the same day! Got to have something to look forward to! We go in Sept this year (Antigua not unfortunately the Maldives) so will be looking after that. Already have a short list though so as Jody says will base that on getting prices, looking at the hotel websites, reading reviews etc.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Premature Informatiom ;-)

For us, it's both relatively easy but also relatively hard. To explain; as a starting point, for now, no matter how good an island is , we will avoid going back (although that may change in the future). Then the majority of islands we would not go to because either no house reef, not AI, pop stars prices, or rubbish reviews - thsts yhe easy bit. That leaves the hard bit which is the relatively small number of solid AI islands. So I had 3 or 4 possibles lined up for October this year in march/April time. Was umming and arring and then out of the blue came the AI deal for PHH which took 5 seconds to decide that was the place. So generally. 6-8 months would be as far in advance we would go for planning purposes mainly because we have other hols/ city breaks etc to squeeze in. Ihave considered moofushi but food and reef reviews put me off as does the extra £1k each over say Athuruga for a week (a lot to pay for inferior food and reef). So that leaves maybe komandoo or Angsana Ihuru, thudufushi, gangehi for future trips.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Premature Informatiom ;-)

Paull

That's a good process ,I will try and hold off until x mas before I get my teeth into it .

Shawn and cat's recent video got me all excited il try to contain myself ;-(

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Premature Informatiom ;-)

We're going to RC on Sunday but part of me is definitely thinking "where next?" At the moment I'm also thinking that next year may be a break from the Maldives. I get very obsessive about the research and once I've decided on something I can't rest until it's sorted. But recently I'm obsessing about Indonesia too!

Mentioned in this post
8. Re: Premature Informatiom ;-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 06:19