We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dhoni cruise

Adelaide
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dhoni cruise

Hello

Has anyone had experience on one of the dhoni cruises around the Maldives, eg with World Expenditons, Explore! or G Adventures?

Looking for this style of trip but not sure whether to look more at the type of trips mentioned often on TA, Atoll Explorer etc.

Our budget leans more towards a dhoni cruise.

Thanks!

Belfast
Level Contributor
767 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dhoni cruise

Have been looking at the dhoni cruises & comparing them to AE & YP. The dhoni ones sound great but prices are much higher than those on the AE & YP especially as you have to pay for your drinks on the dhoni ones.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dhoni cruise

Hi HE.

Thanks for replying. I will research further into the AE and YP cruises.

I was mostly trying to compare the itineraries / places visited and the cabin / boat facilities between them.

We are also snorkellers, not divers, so don't want to join a cruise that caters mostly for divers and snorkellers are an after thought.

Belfast
Level Contributor
767 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dhoni cruise

Both the AE & the YP cater for snorkellers. Most of their stops are near good snorkelling sites- the rest are for beach stops. Divers get taken off to dive sites by dhoni whilst snorkellers are taken to the nearby island for snorkelling or sunbathing. The itinerery can also be changed slightly if everyone agrees, such as not visiting a local island for shopping if no-one is interested, but going snorkelling instead.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,301 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dhoni cruise

I was interested in those dhoni cruises and have been for years. As a single I would have to share a cabin and that put me off in such close confines.

You are very much squeezed together on board, you can't get you're own space, there are no picnics which I love and the islands aren't so good.

I've seen groups using the dhonis to holiday and they tend to be 20 - 40 and the dhoni stops outside the reef, they climb down a ladder and swim across the lagoon which can be some distance, The BBQ's that I've seen don't hold a candle to the YP & AE ones, (those boats have small tenders that take you right onto the sand, you drop your stuff under sunshades and head for the reef,)

I don't know if it applies to all as I've only looked at Explore and can't find out which company they use there so I was hoping someone would pipe up and say they've been,

Check the size http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r-yCBitO-Q Explore. Notice the boat anchoring outside the reef and they only show people wadeing first they have to swim,

Edited: 19 July 2013, 22:25
Adelaide
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dhoni cruise

Thanks Sue and HE.

Yes, you a right from looking at the you tube video and some research both AE and YP seem better value for money and a lot more comfort/room than the two Dhoni cruises I looked at.

6. Re: Dhoni cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 February 2014, 12:05
Edited: 07 February 2014, 12:05
Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,499 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dhoni cruise

Max - that's your own site and you're not supposed to self-promote on here.

Perugia, Italy
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Dhoni cruise

I have been on Dhoni Stella in March 2012. It was amazing. That's the real Dhoni cruise. Atoll Explorer is a big steel boat., nothing to share with a typical Maldivian dhoni...

9. Re: Dhoni cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 November 2013, 09:35
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,569 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dhoni cruise

ST

No advertising !!

Reported