We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tennis during Maldives Vacation

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tennis during Maldives Vacation

Hi guys :)

My family and I will be going to Maldives early August for a week and we're looking for an island/hotel to stay. This would greatly depend on whether the hotel will be able to provide: 1. a tennis court and 2. a tennis player for my mom to play with. She's an intermediate tennis player and is keen to play with someone good.

Appreciate if anyone can recommend a hotel that can provide both of this and is within the range of US$250 - US$400. Also, if you know whether the tennis courts and player is part of the package and if not, how much it will cost. We've had a few experiences when travelling, the hotel has a tennis court facility, but is unable to find a player for us.

It's also best if the hotel recommended is close to the international airport as we'd rather not spend unnecessarily on transportation costs i.e. seaplane which we hear can be quite pricey.

Thanks heaps guys!

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tennis during Maldives Vacation

I know that Kurumba has a couple of tennis courts, and I'm pretty sure that they used to have a player too....nit sure about nowadays. Velassaru has courts too....but not sure about the player.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tennis during Maldives Vacation

I can only think of 3 islands with tennis pros available and those are Four Seasons Landaa Giravaru and Shangrila Villingili which are a seaplane ride and domestic flight away respectively and Reethi Rah in North Male which is within speedboat transfer - unfortunately I doubt either are in budget.

I remember reading on Bruces Maldive Complete site that 48 resorts have tennis courts and some of these are near the airport as Rae has outlined in post 1 but its requirement for a playing partner that will be restrictive, as well as budget consideration.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tennis during Maldives Vacation

Reethi Beach have 2 tennis courts and the sports centre staff will play you. Doubt they're up to international standard, but being a bit of a tennis lover I've watched them and they're pretty darn good from what I saw.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,669 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tennis during Maldives Vacation

.....but Reethi Beach is a seaplane trip away.

E mail Jason at Kurumba, I'm sure that even if Kurumba don't have a decent player, Jason will be able to get in touch with one from Male.

John

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tennis during Maldives Vacation

Constance Halaveli and Island Hideaway have also a tennis court, but they're out of budget...

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,669 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tennis during Maldives Vacation

IH is closed.

John

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tennis during Maldives Vacation

Hi

It's basically too hot and humid to play tennis in the Maldives a number of islands as mentioned do have courts of varying standard but unlikely to have players of any great skill unless you are lucky enough to encounter a fellow guest who plays

Regards

Doug

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tennis during Maldives Vacation

Have to say,I agree, can't imagine anyone having a proper game in that heat unless used to the conditions, I tried it once and it was no joy.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,573 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tennis during Maldives Vacation

Saw tennis courts at kuredu ,saw tennis courts at vilamendhoo but never saw any players . I agree with the others toooooo hot ;-)

Darryl

Dorset
Level Contributor
973 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tennis during Maldives Vacation

Lily Beach has an excellent floodlit tennis court. It was resurfaced as part of the big refurb and is very well maintained. Use of the court, racquets etc are part of the all inclusive package. I'm not aware of any resident players so you may be at the mercy of who else is staying on the island at the time. Without wishing to generalise, the best players we've seen have been from amongst the German guests of whom there are many. We would play (badly) some evenings when it was cooler. You do need to watch out for the occasional swooping fruit bat and lizards running across court but it all adds to the fun!

Edited: 12 July 2013, 09:12