We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reethi Beach or Vakarufalhi?

somerset
Level Contributor
174 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Reethi Beach or Vakarufalhi?

Am planning to go back to the Maldives next October with my husband and some friends. We have been to Reethi twice and other islands which I wouldn't consider again, but am considering Vakarufalhi or going back to what I know!

Has anyone been to Vak? and or Reethi that can give me a bit of a comparison please.

Thanks

Han

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reethi Beach or Vakarufalhi?

I have been twice to Reethi and once Vakaru - pre refurb though.

Reethi is larger than Vakaru with many more paths and areas to discover. Vakaru had a small island feel not unlike Angaga, however both islands gave us the feeling of spaciousness.

The standard rooms are perhaps slightly smaller on Reethi and Vakaru's were better IMHO (and that was before they refurb'ed them). Our room on Vakaru was more private than any we had on Reethi, set back with its own private bit of beach under our own palm tree, the only time we caught sight of our neighbour was when they had a private meal on the beach and their table was set out on the open beach area.

Reef -wise Vakaru would win hands down. You can snorkel completely around the island and there is a good balance of fish and coral particularly near the jetty. There are places where the reef is more sandy but we still saw fish, sharks and turtles regularly even in those areas. There are some sea defences and you can see them in any aerial shots of the island - they aren't intrusive (at least not to us) and were full of sealife. Reethi by comparison has an OK reef - plently of fish and a possibility, in season, of seeing the odd passing manta but for us It isn't as diverse and was less inspiring after our second visit. As divers Vakaru's position in South Ari would definitely draw us back and the house reef diving is better which is important to us.

Both had a good chilled maldivian ambience but Reethi would have the edge here with the choice of bars and eateries. You would need to read the recent reviews of Vakaru to get an idea of the quality of food on offer now or try pm'ing someone who has posted a recent review. There was low key night entertainment on both - dive show video, bodu beru - neither had a loud vibrant scene.

Reethi quite deservedly is a popular choice but for us the reef would probably make us think twice about returning for a third visit. Vakaru remains my favorite island of the few I have visited (8 islands 16 visits) and if it was still within my budget I would definitely return.

2. Re: Reethi Beach or Vakarufalhi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 05:18