We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing for the Maldives

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Topic
Packing for the Maldives

Some differing packing habits!!!!!!!. Some pack a few hours before they leave. I have a special travel drawer under the bed for all travel related bits and pieces kept in about 10 different shoe boxes (without lids) (yes, anal I know, but handy to stop everything getting scattered about). I. Make a list and start packing about a week before, cases on the bed in the spare room . Gradually putting stuff in, mostly in the same area if the case (yes, again, you are right, but of OCD going on there).

Last things to go in are my dive fins which just fit, and sort of keep everything in place underneath when the elasticated straps are connected

And you?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing for the Maldives

About a week before I start getting all my holiday stuff washed and ironed, hanging it at one end of wardrobe till last minute.

I have two drawers of things like sun cream, aloe, kiddie repellent etc.

The weekend before I prep all my camera kit, wash cases, clean o rings, charge all batteries, delete from memory cards etc.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,905 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing for the Maldives

Depends where I'm going. Since the Maldives & Egypt mainly for the reefs the fins first, cossie, suncream toiletries a dress, pr sandles and flip flops. Bonus being a sea lover & single, I don't need much

I have a list of essentials like make up, medicines. I have seperate zip waterproof cosmetic bags specially collected over the years (essential to find things when touring).

Last goes chocolate & plain biscuits, the first cause i can't go without the second in case of upset tummy.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing for the Maldives

Years ago I compiled a holiday packing and on the reverse shopping list based on 2 weeks on a tropical island (we used to go the Carribean, then Mauritius and Syechelles before the Maldives). Over time, added a couple of items (iPhone and charger, Kindle), but otherwise remains the same. Will do a big Boots shop anytime 4 weeks before, plus get currency, and anything else that needs replacing (SwimEar, earplugs, snorkelling stuff).

I ensure we have everything we need, for both of us, including new clothes, husband does the packing day before.

Edited: 14 July 2013, 11:08
4. Re: Packing for the Maldives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 17:06
Biggin Hill
Level Contributor
580 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing for the Maldives

I have a constant packing list that just gets updated depending on how long we are going for. Over the visits the list has had items added / deleted depending on previous experiences. Actual packing is done the weekend before we fly - always by me, with our dive gear being the first priority! What else then goes in depends on how much weight we have left. I think we have just about nailed it as in the last 2 trips nothing has come back not worn / used.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing for the Maldives

Maldives is fav' place to pack for , just so simple . few tops/capri type linen trousers/ and swimmy stuff. love getting fins out and finding a few grain of sand

Everywhere else a pain, stuff for hot or cold and/or wet plus footwear.

All husband packing needs re-checking as hopeless overpacker

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Packing for the Maldives

Erm I thought the fairer sex were the hopeless overpackers !!!!!

Level Contributor
1,608 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Packing for the Maldives

Since I started going to the Maldives I have a dedicated suitcase that gets left, full, in my study. I take out anything that didn't get laundered while away, wash it and put it back in case for next time. Until this little heat wave have never needed any of my Maldives clothes so not a problem. Toiletries, medicines, spare chargers all stay in there too. Only job need to do is new kindle books, charge camera and new audio books for those lilo moments.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Packing for the Maldives

I am serious minimalist. basic toiletries. always use hotel stuff. tube of gunk for dry hair. try and avoid shampoo just water.

1 tub cocoa butter for every inch of pallid quivery flesh ,( don't use sun cream usually draped in shapeless swimming teeshirt with fading inappropriate logo or wetsuit) plus bottle almond oil from pharmacy for mush! gorgeous or what!

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
938 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Packing for the Maldives

I have a packing spreadsheet with tabs for different holidays - sun, ski, photo, weekend, business!

I update them on our return by removing things I didn't wear/need.

Week before I make sure everything is clean & put in 2nd bedroom to avoid being worn, adding bits throughout the week. I then help husband get all his items together on the list, usually the night before.

We pack our own cases still as he has his dive gear, swapping a couple of items of clothing.

Usually finished just before we leave with hairbrush etc.