We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost in choice again!! please help

UAE
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lost in choice again!! please help

If you really want to torture someone ask him to pick a resort in Maldives!!

After reading lots of reviews and checking out lots of hotels/resorts I found that the below hotels suit my budget but I will need your opinion in rating them in terms of the following:

Travel time is one week in mid september.

1. Diving/snorkelling

2. Reef

3. Food

4. Rooms

5. General island impression

here are the choices

1. Kuredu (is it 4 or 3 stars?)

2. Iru Fushi

3. Olhuveli

4. Komandoo

5. Coco palm Dhuni

6. Vilamendhoo

Thanks in advance.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lost in choice again!! please help

I must be picky. I would only consider Komandoo although Vilamendhoo has excellent snorkelling and diving (but limited beach area) . Kuredu has very little reef and is a way out. Cant remember if Olhuveli has a reef but i thought not. Iru Fushi has many supporters. Reports of beach erosion at CPDK always put me off in the past but maybe that has now been addressed.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,197 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lost in choice again!! please help

if snorkeling and diving is a priority , you have to firmly cut kuredu , olhuveli and coco palm DK off that list . kuredu and DK have very underwhelming housereefs , olhuveli sports none . iru fushi's is very poor as well .

that leaves you with vila and komandhoo . I would choose vila for far better diving and best reef of the group

UAE
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lost in choice again!! please help

I am really confused about Iru Fushi. There are so many negative reviews recently mainly due to poor maintenance and out-dated furniture decor. On the other hand many positive reviews!!

How is the reef and beach, diving and snorkeling?

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lost in choice again!! please help

Remember that Iru Fushi has been Hilton until some weeks ago...

UAE
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lost in choice again!! please help

yes right and last month apparently Hilton is no longer connected to the property.

If we put the property on one side, how is the beach, reef, diving and snorkeling there?

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
190 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lost in choice again!! please help

I had Coco Palm on my list, when starting to check out the Maldives and was in contact with the resort itself around two or three months ago. They were very open and told me that just 10 beach villas are left with a nice beach, as the island is suffering badly from erosion.

I have booked Komandoo now. Snorkeling is good according to Richard/PM and members of this forum, food excellent and the island is adults only.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,197 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lost in choice again!! please help

irufushi ... nice island , very pretty but as I said above .. not much of a reef at all and the diving is unspectacular by comparison .

for best , earthshattering , OMG kind of diving , it can only be vilamendoo from your list . there are a few good dives out of komandoo but no comparison to the southern ari atoll

UAE
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Lost in choice again!! please help

So I have narrowed down the list to Vilamendhoo and Komandoo.

Can you rate the following for the 2 hotels please from 1 to 10?

Diving / Snorkeling

Reef / Beach

Food

Rooms

out of island excursions

service

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,980 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lost in choice again!! please help

This is going to come down to your priorities. And maybe what type of room you are looking at on each.

We snorkel only (don't dive).

If you want an excellent house reef which is extensive and literally steps off the beach; plus to be in South Ari for other diving trips - then you have to pick Vila.

The reef is further out on Kom and the really good parts are less extensive. However for everything else Kom would win in our opinion - service, food, beach ambience, small size. And an adults only island is a big plus for us.

Note, if you go for a "jacuzzi" room then these have a hot tub on Vila but a jacuzzi style bath on Kom. To be allocated to the adults only restaurant on Vila you have took a JBV or JWV.

Note, there is a local island on the sunset side of Kom, which wasn't a problem for us (nearly all the JBVs are on the sunrise side and look out to open sea).

10. Re: Lost in choice again!! please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 05:20