We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Robinson Club

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Robinson Club

It's all happening at RC.

Following on from last weeks fire......

http://minivannews.com/category/news-in-brief

John

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
984 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Robinson Club

OMG i can't believe no one saw her and there is always a waiter at the swim up bar!, i used to always watch the chinese in the pool for that reason.

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,362 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Robinson Club

Goodness I have missed all this. I got back last week and have been busy ever since and only just catching up on here now. Poor woman. And fire?

In regards to the pool on Robinson it is the type with a gradual slope towards the deep end and also shallow seating around the edge of the shallow end. It also has a kids pool. On our first visit I witnessed an oriental guest with her husband going out of her depth and got her a pool noodle and guided her to the shallow end. I think more should be done to raise awareness for none swimmers before they reach their resort.

There are lifebuoy rings around the pool.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Robinson Club

If they go snorkelling over drop offs in water wings unable to swim (which I've witnessed), they will go in the pool as well

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
157 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Robinson Club

Oh jeez, I'm heading off to RC in 2 weeks. I've been reading the boards because I've been so excited. Maybe I should leave the boards alone for a while.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Robinson Club

I'm currently on RC and I've not heard anything about this. We were sat on the beach not that far away from the pool for a fair few hours on Saturday afternoon. I'm seriously wondering whether this story is true. We watched a "wedding" ceremony being officiated by the island manager. Surely if someone had drowned he'd have more pressing things to attend to. I hope it isn't true at least!!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Robinson Club

Cakes tin .... Away and do some digging. I can remember a few deaths on islands where guests knew nothing about it

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Robinson Club

I'll never understand why people who can't swim go into pools and into the sea: that's dangerous and irresponsible: learnt to swim and then swim...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Robinson Club

This review of The Resisdence Maldives said there were 10 Chinese tourists died in 2012 during snorkeling, sounds scary, don't know how true is it........the management did not deny in the reply.......

tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Robinson Club

Since Chinese people started to go massively to the maldives, there have been a lot of deaths, also in Paradise Island and more islands.

Frequent T, I guess you're Chinese and you can swim, don't you? But why on earth people who can't swim go to the beach?, I trully can't understand it, it's too dangerous...

Two days ago on TV, in the news, they showed some cities in China with a lot of people going to pools due to heat, and as many people can't swim, they were using floats (maybe it isn't the correct word) and kid staff, but why don't they learn how to swim? At least in Spain, most people learn swimming during childhood...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Robinson Club

Mariaeugene, I am a poor swimmer, I know my weakness and never go snorkeling without wearing life jacket. As my OH is extremely good at swim, so I've experienced many wonderful snorkeling along the drop off.

Yes, it is a good question why people go into the sea when they could not swim, for the case in China, I would say many Chinese people are living in the inland area, seldom have a chance to get close to the sea, they don't aware the danger (I know it sounds stupid......). Many Chinese are the "new rich", swimming pools just started to be common in these few years, the economy condition many years ago did not allow them to learn swimming when they were young......

PS. Yes, I am Chinese from Hong Kong, somehow the background, culture, language, etc. in Hong Kong are very different from Mainland China.......Anyway, its a complicated and sensitive topic.