We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on what resort to choose

Salt Lake City, Utah
3 posts
Save Topic
Advice on what resort to choose

Planning to go to Maldives for my honeymoon in november end like 28 or 29 nov this year for 3 night and 4 days.

Budget:- including food and flight tickets from India $3500

Type of accommodation: Water villa with Pool and the resort should have a bar

Good snorkelling from the beach and the island should be too small and not too secluded.

Q1) Need some advice in selecting a god resort.

Q2) Is this the right time to go and is the budget OK for what I am looking for.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,474 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on what resort to choose

first of all ... 3 nights gives you 2 days , not 4 . day 1 and 4 are travel days and you may well end up arriving at your resort late morning in the earliest and having to leave by lunchtime even for a late international flight .

time of the year .. very iffy weatherwise . you are at the tail end of the rainy season, just before the monsoon traditionally changes before settling into a dry weather pattern by late December. expect at least some rain and clouds

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on what resort to choose

Too small and not too secluded?

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on what resort to choose

For such a short stay I would stay close to the airport to avoid wasting too much time travelling. Have you looked at Vellassaru? They have water villas and the food is excellent. Some will say that the snorkelling is terrible, but there are some good spots if you go to the right place.

Salt Lake City, Utah
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on what resort to choose

well the reason for the short stay is the budget, it seems $3500 is not enough for 3 days as on an average the hotel is around $900 per night.

So does that mean if someone wants to go there for a week, they should at least have $9000 to spend, it seems quite expensive to me.

As an FYI I am looking at Anantara Dhigu Resort, Velassaru Maldives resort and Vivanta by Taj

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,690 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on what resort to choose

Andy,

The only problem with your holiday plans is that you have only 4 days, in a month where there is a high risk of rain. you may end up with all 4 days of rain :( Usually when going out of season, i always recommend at least 10 days, so even if you do catch some rain, you would still have enough days to enjoy the maldives.

having said that, the average price for a good resort is NOT $900 per night. yes of course there are resorts that cost that much, and many others that cost a lot more, but with 150-300$ per night, you can get a beach villa in a decent resort in November. (for example, Filitheyo, which is lovely, is 200$ per night on a beach villa for Novembre) on top of that all you need to do is add around 250USD per person for the airtaxi from Malè to the atoll.

oh and of course, you would need to add the cost of flight from India to Malè.

cheers

Shawn

Edited: 02 August 2013, 03:08
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,474 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on what resort to choose

it seems andy has moved to salt lake city ... that surprised me too .

Andy .. is there a specific reason for a watervilla , with pool no less ? as shawn has pointed out , you could easily stay a week or even more if you didn't insist on the most expensive villa type and since most islands don't offer watervillas with pool , you are severely limiting yourself in your choices .

anantara and valassaru have no accessable housereefs for any meaningful snorkeling . valassaru has , as rae pointed out , a few scattered coral blocks . vivanta has a small reef but its not "good snorkeling" by Maldives standarts by a long shot .

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on what resort to choose

Many resorts offer promotion in rainy season, such as stay 4 nights pay 3 nights, stay 7 pay 5, stay 14 pay 10, etc. For your case of staying 3 nights, your will not get the benefits. The additional cost for staying loner is not adding up in a pro-rata basis. You pay the same air freight and speed boat transfer no matter you stay 1 or 10 nights. That's why the folks here recommend you to stay longer.......and of course the weather risk Shawn mentioned too

Edited: 02 August 2013, 03:51
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on what resort to choose

thanks for the advice guys this is really helpful, i may chose a different destination now mainly due to the weather.

Shawn thanks for the recommendation of Filitheyo, this is what I was looking for, good resorts but a bit more affordable, I will surely take a look at it.

Well I live in SLC but getting married in november in India so was planning this honeymoon tip to maldives......)

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,690 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on what resort to choose

Congrats on the wedding, and getting married in India, awesome.

Filitheyo is a beautiful little island with beautiful rooms, amazing food and a good house reef, i have loads of pictures and videos, but this was from the last time we were at Filitheyo: www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UhUD3r1G5s&hd=1

check with Purely Maldives for prices, they have some of the best prices i have found around the net.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on what resort to choose

Congratulations!

Oh no, Maldives is a wonderful place for honeymoon, especially you have your wedding in India, so close to the Paradise......it will be a 30 hours trip to Maldives when you return to Salt Lake City.

The rainy season don't scare more of us.

Edited: 02 August 2013, 04:14