We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Island for snorkelling and diving

ranskill
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Best Island for snorkelling and diving

We are planning my retirement trip, even though I'll only be 50!, and could do with some sound advice as to the best island for snorkelling and diving ideally with as little travelling to dive sites as possible. My Son will be 14 when we go and will have completed his PADI course in the UK.

We want a friendly island and one that is not too big as we want the maldivian feel to the holiday. We will be staying for around 14 nights over Christmas and New Year 2014 / 2015

Any help and suggestions very much appreciated.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Island for snorkelling and diving

You need to state a budget, especially as you are wishing to travel at the most expensive time. You wont even be able to get exact prices yet as its too far away.

South ari atoll is quoted as having the best dive sites so I'd start your search there, vilamendhoo, angaga, athuruga, vakarufalhi....

ranskill
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Island for snorkelling and diving

Around 10-12k

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,178 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Island for snorkelling and diving

mirihi , athuruga , angaga in that order

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Island for snorkelling and diving

Hi

I'm not a diver and I am certainly not as knowledgeable as the other 2 posters but if the islands suggested look a little too small ,have a look at vilamendhoo,it's in the south Ari Atol ( diver heaven )and has an excellent reef ,it's a little bit bigger than the other suggested island but you won't be diving every second of the day and given your son's age he will find more things to do on vila.

Darryl

ranskill
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Island for snorkelling and diving

Had another look and would like to be as to manta point, sounds amazing

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
710 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Island for snorkelling and diving

Is the budget for just you and your son or more?

ranskill
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Island for snorkelling and diving

Three of us in total

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,178 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Island for snorkelling and diving

sorry Darryl .. but vilamendhoo over mirihi , angaga and athuruga ? you can't be serious. vilas reef is good , yes. just like that of the others .. and like the others , it is situated in divers heaven as you say . all 4 have that in common.

manta point .. mirihi and angaga are both about 15 boat minutes away from it , vila a good bit further .

all 4 are good islands .. vila has the low price going for it . the housereefs of the 4 are comparable with mirihi's having the edge by a good bit.

as for the dive center ... for beginners especially , it has got to be mirihi . on vila you are facing full diveboats and by default , crowded divesites and 8 newbie divers trying to follow one instructor . on mirihi you are looking at 1 or 2 newbs per instructor. they will see more .. learn more skills and being that the dive time is 75 mins instead of the usual 50 or 60 , the experienced diver will get lots more bottom time for the buck.

Nottingham england
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Island for snorkelling and diving

Sorry Spammie .. I disagree with your evaluation of Vilamendhoo

I visited Vila two years ago in July ..

I never felt overcrowded on the dhoni .. the dive school ran 2 dhonis in the morning .. one for beginners and one for more experienced divers . Generally there were 6-8 divers per dhoni and 2 instructors/dm's on each .. there was always 1 afternoon dhoni which generally ran 4-6 divers because the morning people did not do 2 dives a day unlike myself

Christmas / New Year may be totally different on any island depending on numbers of divers staying per percentage of the visitors at the time

The OP also stated he has 10-12k to spend for three people

Do you think at Christmas / New Year that 12k would cover Mihiri for a 14 night stay ?

Simon

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Island for snorkelling and diving

johno - what about board basis?. If you like your lunch, and drink with meals, the extras at Mirihi will very quickly mount up and you will have no idea how big the bill will be. The others all do AI so apart from your dive bill you are gonna have no expensive horror stories. One reason we wont go to Mirihi is the bill we would get at the end of the holiday for food/drinks. That budget might get you to Mirihi for two weeks but wont cover food and drink for 2 weeks unless you dont drink much and skip meals.