We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What will they think of next......

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,470 posts
288 reviews
Save Topic
What will they think of next......

:-0

maldives.net.mv/9816/…

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What will they think of next......

What will the whalesharks just off Lux* think of them?

Fancy jumping off your boat with 20 other boats when someone spots a whaleshark, just to have one of those things rattle over your snorkel?

Not me.

John

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What will they think of next......

Hmmm, to be fair, not sure I agree with that John, sorry, I honestly doubt they would be doing water boarding where there is whale sharks. They are a protected species and usually when you snorkel with them it's in comparitavely shallow water ( obviously or you would have to dive to see them). I can't see that you could do the water boarding anywhere other than deep water in case you fell in hard.

Also, not sure, but my limited experience of whale shark trips says five or six boats max. Not sure there would be twenty or so. I tnink one boat spots the whale shark, the captain phones the other boats and they front up, it's honestly not like a flotilla looking for them, not as I understand anyway. However in my opinion five boats, is four too many.

Sorry, but I can't see they would have this activity and whale sharks in the same location , not intentionally or more than once anyway.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What will they think of next......

If you don't like the fly boarding how about this for all those lilo fans out there

maldivescomplete.com/blogs/maldivescomplete/…

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,543 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What will they think of next......

"Whether on a family holiday or on honeymoon, water sports have always been a must-do for all the visitors to the Maldives" - NOT REALLY NO THANK YOU. Lux just keeps going down and down and down on our list

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What will they think of next......

froggy, yes, perhaps a bit exagerated that they would do it right on top of the whalesharks but the bit about 20 boats is a true reflection of what I've encountered just off Lux. There was at least one boat from almost every island in S. Ari atoll, individually chartered small boats and liveaboards all at the same time.

Never mind fish soup.....this was the reverse. One fish and a mass of humans.

John

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What will they think of next......

I can only think of 2 reasons not to stay on Lux

1 You are a keen diver in which case it won't suit you as the reef is a short boat ride away

or

2 It is out of your budget as it is a high quality resort.

We stayed here for 10 very peaceful days,endless horizon,no boat traffic,no other islands in sight,no noise....

then we moved to an Anantara island where the view was of the sunbathers on the island opposite and a large JCB digger which is there permanently to keep the chanel clear for all the boat traffic.

I would have rode back to Lux in a Kayak if I could!!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,374 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: What will they think of next......

chrissy ... everyone has different preferences and priorities . I can think of so many reasons NOT to go to lux that I didn't even need fly boarding to keep me away .. and trust me , budget isn't one of them. of course I am not rushing back to anantara either .. there is just so much better out there - better for me , that is .

on the flipside , there are lots and lots of guests that are happy as can be in both resorts.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,543 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: What will they think of next......

Chrissy, i REALLY find it hard to believe "no noise". But i am happy for you if it's true. because when we landed at Lux, the airtaxi flew SO low above the watervillas, and landed too close to the beach, where people were sun bathing...

Another main reason for us not to stay at Lux is fish feeding... i hope i don't need to go in to detail why this is bad.

and now, another reason, this flyboard cr#ap...

De gustibus.

We had thought about Lux because of the WhaleShark spottings, But yes, those are the only reasons (for now) keeping me away from Lux.

Edited: 01 August 2013, 15:04
London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: What will they think of next......

My two main reasons not to go to Lux.........

Motorised water sports and having to wear trousers in the evenings. Budget and snorkelling might be other reasons but the two things above eliminate the island for us before we even worry about the price.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,543 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: What will they think of next......

ah right, forgot to include lack of house reef which is one main reason that is also keeping us away from Lux, since for us Snorkeling/house reef is a main priority

and having to wear trousers on holiday on a tropical island? are you kidding me??? ok i will stop now -_-