We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It's getting easier to........

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
It's getting easier to........

cross islands off the list.

Old faves such as;

No house reef

Table sharing

Over complicated/nonsensical AI plans

Over child friendly

Pop star budgets

Close to Male/Rubbish island

Far too many rooms to the size of the island

Ugly islands

Overpriced budget islands (why go there when you can go to better for the same cost)

Newly opened islands (for 6 months)

Newly refurbished islands (for 3-6 months)

Recent additions are overbearing animation teams (sorry cakest)

Wacky/noisy watersports

Crikey - that doesnt leave that many with all the rage for upgrading 3 stars to 5 stars, increasingly accommodating short term guests, more banana boats et al etc etc.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: It's getting easier to........

Don't think anyone should be upset, each has their own holiday requirements. It's a shame thought that out of over a hundred you only find a handful appropriate. It kind of just limits it for you, which is a shame, but I guess makes chosing easier.

We are all limited by something, usually budget,

I do think though it's silly to discount islands for trivial reasons ie they offer jet skis, because the truth is that kind of thing is in the deep blue and not taken up often by many people. But again, each to their own choice, it's a personal thing and one persons choices are no better or worse than someone else's.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: It's getting easier to........

ur right froggy. I would not go to a speck of sand in the ocean to have that get away from it all feeling after travelling half way around the world to be on the beach whilst reading my kindle or snorkelling in the sea to have jet skis, banana boats, water skis blasting past, other wacky watersports, being forced to wear long trousers for dinner. Others do. Great for them. If I wanted that I would go to Benidorm (minus the trousers lol).

"Silly to discount islands for trivial reasons". Always know when ur back froggy.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: It's getting easier to........

People are so silly to discount Meed for that wall arent they. I mean, its only a wall.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: It's getting easier to........

Hmm, feeling sensitive Paul? :-p

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,400 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: It's getting easier to........

I would definitely go to an island that had just opened on a 'soft opening deal'. However I would not do this if it was a special holiday, like a honeymoon. I would go knowing I was taking a gamble and could possibly be moved etc. We went to Shangri-La Villingili on such a deal. I think we went when the resort had been open for 6 weeks. The same holiday now costs 4 times as much!

I have a whole list of holiday preferences (hubby has more), but I would not discount any island for just a couple of reasons. I try to get the best value for money on an island that ticks the most boxes. It is getting more difficult to find the perfect island, but I will have fun trying.

Manchester
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: It's getting easier to........

I'm lucky; I have the opposite problem. I've only been to one island, and trying to choose my second resort is sooo hard. They all look amazing to us! Every time Mr jtm and I look at a new option we're all "oooo I like the look of that one".

Athuruga has crept its way to the top of our list though thanks to the experiences and opinions of you TA experts :-) and I've had some very excellent conversations with Jai at Travellab who is ENDLESSLY patient with all my questions. But I fear Athuruga won't be the last Maldives holiday because already we're saying things like, 'Well let's go to Athuruga next year, and then we can go to THIS one another year ...'

London
Level Contributor
887 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: It's getting easier to........

It's getting easier year after year indeed.

We prefer a resort with excellent reef/ fish and great services, ideally.

But then my top 3 return islands are: Mirihi Mirihi Mirihi...

There are additional 2 more I will definatly return. Ironically those two to me, are not perfect, but the unique characters they have whilst Mirihi hasn't compromise the other factors.

Edited: 02 August 2013, 16:39
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: It's getting easier to........

Definitely getting more fussy than less fussy

Not sure I fancy Italian managed islands where there is emphasis on organised entertainment and likewise not keen on the RC style activities

Must have child restrictions - ideally adult only but there is only one

Luckily don't care about AI otherwise we'd have nowhere left ;)

I'd also risk a newly opened island if it matched our criteria

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: It's getting easier to........

I'd also go to a newly opened island, but it would have to be open when we booked it. I would not book it if it had not yet opened, because basically they are all delayed.

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: It's getting easier to........

We went to Lily Beach about 5 weeks and while it was still finding it's feet we had a great holiday. According to some of the European staff there the first week was a bit of a disaster though.