We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It's getting easier to........

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
It's getting easier to........

cross islands off the list.

Old faves such as;

No house reef

Table sharing

Over complicated/nonsensical AI plans

Over child friendly

Pop star budgets

Close to Male/Rubbish island

Far too many rooms to the size of the island

Ugly islands

Overpriced budget islands (why go there when you can go to better for the same cost)

Newly opened islands (for 6 months)

Newly refurbished islands (for 3-6 months)

Recent additions are overbearing animation teams (sorry cakest)

Wacky/noisy watersports

Crikey - that doesnt leave that many with all the rage for upgrading 3 stars to 5 stars, increasingly accommodating short term guests, more banana boats et al etc etc.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: It's getting easier to........

Yep, I can believe that. It takes time for people to know their jobs and the way it works. But for soft opening prices,,worth it after the first couple of weeks,

Look at ras fushi. Ok, a terrible situation, and a not ideal island, but those prices must have been fifty percent of what they should have been. For any other resort that would be a very good deal.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: It's getting easier to........

We probably won't be returning to the Maldives until 2016, and already our criteria limits the choices available to us. Besides budget constraints, we have these considerations:

Not too small an island (ideally no smaller than Veligandu)

Good food and at least one a la carte restaurant in addition to the buffet

No sea wall around the whole of the island

Sand paths (no shoes!)

Seaplane transfer (for practical as well as aesthetic reasons)

For us good reef is a bonus rather than a must have.

So far we've been to Sun Island, Filitheyo and Reethi Beach. If we have the money then Veligandu will probably be our next choice, but if we have that kind of money I'd be tempted to ditch the Maldives in favour of the Seychelles again - I loved Denis Island and would go back if we could afford it.

Edited: 03 August 2013, 10:56
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: It's getting easier to........

I must investigate Denis island and indeed la digue, bird and praslin more as we nearly went there a few years ago but was umming and arring between those and palm island in the Grenadines, couldn't make a choice so chose an easier to decide island instead. Might have been St kitts or Nevis or Tobago, can't quite remember. I suppose prices for Denis are comparable with some of the maldives 4 star islands. Thanks for the nudge beanerd!!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: It's getting easier to........

I never really considered myself as a returner, always thought too much else out there but its becoming incredibly hard to not just save ourselves the hassle of researching and go back to reethi. I guess its better the devil you know sometimes, especially as we have other big plans so need to be budget conscious next year.

I think we might do a few days to a boat transfer island with a good reef, just to try something different, then head on to reethi..........

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: It's getting easier to........

Paul, I think you need to look at 5* Maldives islands for a price comparison to Denis! We only afforded to go there by doing a week at a cheaper resort followed by a week at Denis, and even then it was more expensive than two weeks Veligandu. It's worth it though for the tranquility if you don't mind the lack of good snorkelling off beach. Palm Island in the Greandines is also good, and cheaper than Denis. Both those islands have the advantage of a low density of rooms to island size - Denis has less rooms than Mirihi but is similar in size to Sun Island!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: It's getting easier to........

I don't mind poor snorkelling at places other than the maldives. It's like saying I'm not going to New York as there is no house reef. We've been to st lucia a few times and thought the snorkelling was dreadful. But we went again in feb this year and were surprised to come across many fish we thought we would only find in the Maldives. That was in the marine reserve around the base of the pitons and in no way was it a la Maldives but we had a happy time, especially as we could actually identify all the fish following our Maldivian experiences. But if we are going to endure the long flights to the Maldives and the extra expense, the lack of a house reef would be a deal breaker. . Who would be a good agent to look for Denis island?

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: It's getting easier to........

The best price I got for the Seychelles was with Stylish Resorts, and the lady I dealt with there (Caroline) provided superb service. We had to change the date of our booking at short notice due to a bereavement, and despite problems with availability she spent a lot of time coming up with something that worked for us.

What I particularly liked about Denis is that it has elements of the Maldives experience but on an island with only 25 guest rooms and has lots to explore. The main downside is that they have strict weight limits on the plane, but snorkelling gear can be borrowed for free so no need to pack that.

Mil,WI
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: It's getting easier to........

Beanerd....just wondering why your preference is for not too small of an island and why you dont want to go to an island that has a sea wall?? Im very new to the maldive forums, so not sure why. Thanks. :)

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: It's getting easier to........

Hi Girltravel29, both me and the wife feel that we may get cabin fever on too small an island. The sea wall issue is just a personal thing because in pictures and videos they look unsightly, and part of the appeal of the Maldives is the sea views.

30. Re: It's getting easier to........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 06:20