We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Help!

Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon Help!

I have been working with Purely Maldives to find resorts that meet the criteria my fiancé and I are looking for in a resort. They provided me with a list of resorts that they think best suit what we want, now I have to start narrowing them down even further. It's one thing to look at pictures online, but I would love to hear first hand opinions from those of you who have personally been to one or even a few of these resorts. I'd love to hear both positive and negative aspects of the resorts so that I can get a well rounded picture.

Here are the resorts they suggested:

· Reethi Beach

· Adaaran Meedhupparu

· Olhuveli Beach

· Vilu Reef

· Filitheyo

· Kuredu

· Veligandhu

· Vivanta by Taj

· Komandoo

· Kuramathi

· Constance Moofushi

· Lily Beach

· Adaaran Prestige Vadoo

· Dusit Thani

· Park Hyatt

· Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo

And here is the criteria I gave them so you can comment on which resorts best suit what we want:

all inclusive (fully inclusive - all meals, cocktails, water, soft drinks etc)

good snorkeling/diving

swimming pool at the resort

resort entertainment

good variety of restaurants

over water bungalow (preferably one with it's own jacuzzi or pool, but this part is not a deal breaker)

$3000 / person - slightly flexible

seaplane/boat transfers included

honeymoon perks

Thank you in advance for your help!!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,994 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Honeymoon Help!

Hi

On your list I have visited kuredu ,in response to some of your criteria,,,

Water Vilas yes and recently refurbished.

Swimming pools ,yes 2 ,1 adult only and 1 family pool .

Multiple restaurants ,yes .

Multiple bars yes.

Entertainment ,yes but limited.

Diving/Dive school ,yes.

Snorkeling well if there is water then there must be lol ...as Richard said ,good fish life with sharks ,rays.turtles but the reef is poor and in deep water .

Great fist island with a nice beach ,lagoon and sandbank

Darryl

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,777 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Honeymoon Help!

Out of your list we've been to Meed, Veligandu, Komandoo, Kuramathi, Lily and Ellaidhoo. Out of these my choice for a honeymoon island with good snorkelling would be Komandoo. We're not divers so I can't take that into account but there is a good house reef on both sides of Kom, with turtles on one side especially. The reef is not just off the beach so you should find an area to swim around the JWV (which have a jacuzzi style bath) before you get to the reef. There is a nice lagoon off the beach for swimming before the reef starts. There is a pool. The buffet restaurant is excellent but they only have one other (a la carte) restaurant if that is a deal breaker. Kom is an adults only island.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,118 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Honeymoon Help!

Filitheyo should be out of your list because their Ai sucks, no resort entertainment, no variety of restaurants (only one restaurant and one bar/restaurant, its a small island).

All of the above reasons are also why we love Filitheyo :D lol

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Honeymoon Help!

Hello Froggy

As explained previously - it is not possible for me currently to know the conversations which have led to this.

If we are at the beginning of our discussions then I do not really understand the negative inference you have given - I am unsure why it is a negative that there are so many islands remaining. Surely it is better an agent allows a customer to delete islands themselves rather than make assumptions such as "I don't think they'll like that". My rule is that those decisions are made by fact or by the customer.

20 years ago when I started offering Maldives I decided to treat customers differently than the 'big boys' - I decided to offer all the information, rather than the bits I had carefully chosen as suitable. It is important to remember (as so often pointed out to new posters on this forum) words such as cheap, nice, luxurious etc have little meaning unless quantified - therefore a customer is offered everything which matches their search criteria.

I hope this clarifies the reason we chose to offer such a wide range.

Thanks

Richard from PurelyMaldives

Edited: 02 August 2013, 09:43
Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,361 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Honeymoon Help!

Out of your list I have been to Reethi, Filitheyo, Kuramathi x2, Moofushi, Lily and Chaaya reef Ellaidhoo x2.

Some of these have better AI than others. For instance Filitheyo does not offer cocktails on AI and you only get water by the glass and have to pay for bottles. Moofushi and Lily are more expensive than the others, but have quite an extensive AI meal plan and bottled wine. Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo is at the budget end, but has a lot to offer for the price ie: Bottled water, some cocktails, snacks, good snorkelling, nice décor, pool.

Kuramathi has an AI plus option that allows you to eat at different restaurants.

Reethi and Kuramathi are the ones with the most choice of restaurants.

I have booked a trip to the Maldives in the past with Purely Maldives and would definitely use them again.

Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Honeymoon Help!

Thank you all for this information! Every little detail helps us get closer to picking the right island for us. My fiancé and I are seasoned travellers, largely within the Caribbean, but for some reason I am having a much harder time finding a suitable resort in the Maldives!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Honeymoon Help!

As Richard from PM says, all of those islands fit your requirements more or less to give you the choice. Having visited almost every Caribbean island on maybe 25 holidays I know what you mean about the difficulties in then choosing a Maldivian island. One of the main differences is that AI in the Maldives more often than not is not very inclusive.

On that list there are probably about a half I would cross off immediately but then leaving a very wide range of budgets

Kuramathi ticks all your boxes with the best holiday food to pass my lips

Reethi is a great all rounder with probably not much food choice but still one of the few islands that offer a dine around option in the restaurants (a la kuramathi)

Komandoo is an adults only island with many many ardent fans and worth looking into

Lily beach and moofushi are a big step up in budget. I personally would not visit either for several reasons

Ellaidhoo is one of if not the best all found budget island and well worth a look at if budgets are tight

Finally park hyatt this year are offering a killer , almost free AI deal meaning all a la carte food and wine and champagne by the bottle costs about £120 but next year prices will rise

Decisions decisions lol

18. Re: Honeymoon Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 06:20