We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorised Watersports - Yes or No?

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
Motorised Watersports - Yes or No?

Out of interest, would you happily go to an island with motorised waterports such as jet skis, water ski-ing, banana boats, james bond style jet packs?. Or would you be rather silly to have such a trivial reason to discount such an island?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Motorised Watersports - Yes or No?

I don't understand shawn/Katerina,,,you are just back from angaga who offer it and have been to fili a couple of times and they also offer it? You would not return to either?

Edited: 02 August 2013, 12:29
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,715 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Motorised Watersports - Yes or No?

There is a difference between an island just offering water skiing and an island offering banana rides jet skis and water skiing .

None of the above would be preferable

Darryl

australia
Level Contributor
606 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Motorised Watersports - Yes or No?

It all depends .. A tiny island I might not go.. But a larger one like lux then yes.. As long as I can find a quiet part then all good..

I have kids so as they get older I might require the watersports haha happy kids happy mum as far as I'm concerned! But right now they are happy with a bucket and spade .. So happy dance from me:)

London
Level Contributor
887 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Motorised Watersports - Yes or No?

Indifferent, although preferred a resort not pushing too hard to sell them.

Some resorts ( or maybe all ) offer the activities because they find it a very quick way to generate more cash...they noticed that some customers just fancy to ' book a trip per day.' For instance, parasailing day 1, Jet skis day 2, underwater scooter day 3, snorkeling safari / diving day 4, uninhabitat island / sand bank dinner day 5, dolphin trip day 6, big game fishing day 7 etc... and spa before / after checking out ... And it's actually the resort staff who told us that there are guests very keen on the activities', these are actually one of their favorites.

There is a reason behind the supply, after all.

Edited: 02 August 2013, 13:17
Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,408 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Motorised Watersports - Yes or No?

I would prefer not to have it, but I saw a lot less on Robinson Club than on other islands that did not have motorised water sports. I didn't even realise they have a jet ski. On my two trips I saw a kite surfer (which was annoying as you were not sure if he was coming towards you or not)and a few people on paddle boards. Water sports on this island are relatively expensive so it keeps most guest away. On another island, a five star one which was AI the sea was quite crowded with people on kayaks, canoes, pedelos and just floating about in orange life vests. So it was a lot busier and noisier in the water, because the water sport was included even though not motorised.

I actually spotted a jet ski under a cover at Ellaidhoo, but never saw it running.

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,408 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Motorised Watersports - Yes or No?

BTW, Froggy you are right Angaga does offer water skiing and kite surfing. Probably quite a lot of resorts offer this type of thing. Its just we probably don't notice it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Motorised Watersports - Yes or No?

Nice avatar t23:-))

Agree on the non motorised, can't stand watching people kayaking over the reef in low tide and it's a pretty constant activity on most resorts where it's inc in the price.

Also agree on most resorts offering motorised,I suspect many people have been on an island that offers it and they never knew because uptake was so low, and when it is done, it's so far away from the island. Cost has to be an issue, it's like 70 bucks for ten mins or something on average.

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,408 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Motorised Watersports - Yes or No?

Thanks, Froggy.

Also if the island is smaller and you have people close to the island on Kayaks and pedelos screeching with excitement it is a lot noisier than someone water skiing off in the distance

I wonder if Paul is aware that Kuramathi offers water skiing, banana rides and fun tubes. I have stayed there twice (total 29 nights) plus a day trip and never seen any of it.

The only island that I have been to that I can remember having motorised water sport where I actually saw it happening was on Paradise Island.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Motorised Watersports - Yes or No?

Hope the jetski stays under cover at Ellaidho when I get there

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,618 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Motorised Watersports - Yes or No?

We had a bit of a culture shock when we went from lovely, quiet (non-motorised) Mirihi over to Conrad for cocktail hour - there was a lot of activity at the arrivals/water sports area with jet skis, a thing like a banana boat but more round (not sure what its called) and a young girl getting to grips with this thing that looks like a motorised flotation device that drags you behind it whilst kitted out in mask/snorkel.....

They had some other kit there too on offer which we didn't see/hear in action - probably loads of fun if it's your cup of tea, so to speak!