We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Columbo (45 minutes?)

chigwell, essex. uk
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Columbo (45 minutes?)

We have been offered an outward flight to Male with Sri Lanka airlines. There is only a 45 minute gap between our plane landing and the connecting one taking off.

Is this feasible? Don't gates usually close 30 mins before take off?

I am worried that whilst it would be great not to hang around, I would hate to miss the connecting flight.

Have any of you done this in such a short time.

Thanks

Lorraine

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Columbo (45 minutes?)

Is doable yes, but obviously any delays and you risk missing it,

If its on one ticket the airline needs to put you on the next flight with available seats ( which is not always the next flight) worth working out when the flight after yours is, so what kind of wait are you possibly looking at.

If this is two seperate tickets, don't even think about it. When two tickets it's you that needs to fund a replacement flight, not the airline.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Columbo (45 minutes?)

I had experienced 1hr 15mins connecting time in Srilanka to Male, the flights were no problem, but all my luggages (i took biz, luggages were all with priority tag) were left behind in Colombo, although i had already shown my luggages tags to reconfirm before enter the second flight boarding gate, it ended up two days without all belongings in Soneva Fushi.........i would say 45 mins is definitely not enough.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Columbo (45 minutes?)

I also think it's not enough... Even if your plane lands on time, You'll have to go through some kind of control, and it'll take some time, there might be a queue, and somebody could give your priority or not... Don't take the risk, there's no need...

australia
Level Contributor
551 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Columbo (45 minutes?)

If it's an airline connection then it's enough time. The airline is responsible for you and your luggage to make the next flight. Well of course if you are doing the right thing and don't stop off for some duty free.

I have done worse connections.. Same amount of time in a bigger airport with kids.

As long as it's the minimum connecting that the airline allows then it's fine. You will likely have to rush though so no just taking your time.

I have had my luggage not make it but the airline has to get it to you ASAP.

But that's happened with short and long connections.

I book flights all the time for clients so I'm not sure why it's such a big deal if the airline says it's enough time unless of course you as a person like to sit around airports or do want to do some duty free shopping.

It is true though if you flight is delayed then you would be put on the next available flight. So I'd do it on the way home but maybe not on the way to my holiday if I had to make a seaplane transfer for example. This can happen with long connections as well. it's all luck of the draw with travelling but of course a shorter one does make the odds more if it's runs late by just half hour.

Edited: 04 August 2013, 09:13
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Columbo (45 minutes?)

I’ve done worse connection too, United airline, from Winnipeg to Los Angeles, transit via different terminals in Chicago Ohare airport, one of the busiest airport in this world, with 35 mins only, i finally made it without luggage lost, it was very lucky. What i wanna to tell the OP is that there is a very high risk for 45 mins connection time, yes, the airline is responsible for getting the passengers and their luggage to the destination asap, but it will definitely spoil at least certain time of the holiday if encounter a missing flight or luggage, its ones own decision to take the risk or not.

australia
Level Contributor
551 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Columbo (45 minutes?)

Of course.. But I don't think someone should be scared off by saying it's not enough time. Flights are really luck of the draw. I always explain the pro's and con's to people. I honestly think though it's over dramatized on here. You can only plan so much when it comes to flights.

I have hardly had any people miss connections. But it happens. With long lay overs and short lay overs. Yes it can be a bit higher with a short connection but I really don't think it's as much as an issue as made out. It's luck of the draw.

As I said I'd might suggest not choosing such a connection if you absolutely must be somewhere by a certain time and have your trip ruined. But as said any connection it can happen. direct flight is always better. But my last direct flight to the Maldives was delayed 2 hrs yet I've never been late with a connection to there. It's just one of those things. I seem to get a run of delays and then none for ages. It's unpredictable. I'm not a risk taker. I'd never book flights that don't connect if it's the same day even if it's like 6 hrs as that end up very costly but I'm happy to risk it when the airline has to get you there if I have a little time up my sleeve to get to my resort. My flight arrives in the afternoon this year. The worst that can happen is I have to overnight in Male. I'm not going to lose sleep over that.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Columbo (45 minutes?)

Agree, as long as its one ticket and not two. And you know when the next flight is, in case you miss this one, then at least you know roughly how long you could be in Colombo for.

I would be worried about my luggage on this connection time though and I would be worried about A 45 min connection, as the slightest delay and you are waiting for the next flight, but if you are on one ticket, you may as well chance it,,,as long as the next flight is not the next day or ten hours later.!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Columbo (45 minutes?)

If the Op would like to take this flight, i would suggest you to keep a set of clothes, some utility, such as skin care, etc in your hand carry luggage. Besides, purchase a travel insurance with petty cash allowance to buy items when there is delay of luggage (some offer around $500USD per person for more than 4 hours of delay), somehow you’ll have certain compensation in case you are not lucky enough.......

australia
Level Contributor
551 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Columbo (45 minutes?)

I agree. It's something I do for all flights. Especially to the Maldives. I always take a spare change of summer clothes and swim suit.

It's always wise as well with a seaplane transfer. At least twice my stuff was put on a later seaplane. So I needed my swimmers and other essential summer items to begin my day at the beach. (travel size sunscreen and repellant always a good idea which is 100ml or less.)

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Columbo (45 minutes?)

I'm pretty sure we sat on the airport tarmac at Colombo for 45 mins: o ly those disembarking at Colombo were released & new flyers let on?

This was some years ago (the day before Colombo had its 'terrorists' trouble at the airport) so things may have changed since but worth checking with agent/airline if this is still the case?

....AG