We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do some Islands appeal to visitors from certain countries

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Do some Islands appeal to visitors from certain countries

trying not to cause any offence, picking up on Spammies answer in a recent thread, how can you tell which Islands appeal mainly to, say, Chinese clientele??.

I have noticed that many visitors from India seem to have had Paradise Island pushed and often get less than positive answers when asking for details on here.

I do browse the Maldives complete site which shows the agents on most Islands

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Do some Islands appeal to visitors from certain countries

The chinese copy websites as well as everything else on earth then? I wondered why when we put up students from beijing, all the maunals for the CD player, DVD player, washing machine all went missing lol

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
710 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Do some Islands appeal to visitors from certain countries

I'm already addicted to the Chinese website link!

Especially the wedding pics/Robinson Club pics:

http://www.mafengwo.cn/i/924169.html

I too agree with all, that posing in a Kayak on land is ridiculous, as is taking a tripod to dinner when people are trying to eat etc....its just too much

But

I love photography, and this website is full of impressive amazing shots!

I think a fine balance is needed, a healthy appreciation of photography, whislt still enjoying the moment and not happy snapping everything! But yes I might get addicted to this site :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Do some Islands appeal to visitors from certain countries

LoL, i don’t expect this website gives you guys so much fun, i should share earlier.

Big group of honeymooners, could tell how enjoy and happy are they on their faces, btw, i felt i had already ate a dinner buffet in Robinson Club!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Do some Islands appeal to visitors from certain countries

We went on holiday to China in late April this year and had a great time. Highly recommend it. Also became the subject of photos next to some poor toddlers whose parents liked taking snaps of us together - good fun :)

People were friendly everywhere we went and we experienced nothing but superb service in very good value hotels. Hope to go back to see more as could only fit in so much during 2 weeks.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
710 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Do some Islands appeal to visitors from certain countries

Frequent T, Is this just a honeymoon pics website then?

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,718 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Do some Islands appeal to visitors from certain countries

I've read that Sun Island has a lot of Russian guests because it's marketed in their country with apparently good deals.

Regarding the excessive photo taking, it's a bit like those people who go to a concert and spend most of the time videoing it - they're not really living the experience. There's an interesting article about this kind of thing here:

telegraph.co.uk/technology/social-media/1021…

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Do some Islands appeal to visitors from certain countries

Good points made on that article, Beanerd

Most of those people taking loads of photos in the Maldives are probably there for the first time and maybe won't be coming back in a hurry either.

We take fewer and fewer with each trip and don't have an appreciative audience any longer for our snaps back home lol

Exception are underwater shots, still trying to perfect getting some decent pictures and having fun trying

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Do some Islands appeal to visitors from certain countries

I think some islands remain the preserve of certain nationalities - Asdu Sun and Alimatha still attract mainly Italians, and Rihiveli the French. I tend to agree that this must have a lot to do with restriction to certain markets.

When we went to Angaga it was fairly new to the British market, we were the only British couple there, the rest were German, Swiss and Austrian. Since then it has taken off in other travel markets and now there is a more cosmopolitan mix.

On our third and last visit to Velavaru, before Angsana took over, our waiter, who'd looked after us on all three visits, told us that the island was being revamped (and the price hiked) in order to more appeal to the short stay Asian market. Like Vakarufalhi (which was limited to the Italian market after refurbisment in 2008) it has since moved back to a more widely available market.

I think it was Bruce on his recent trip that noted Bathala was very much the preserve of Germans and Italians in

high season - and as Embudu, Reethi and Ellaidhoo also have a large number of repeat German guests it would support Karla's point that they do favour value for money and gravitate to those islands.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Do some Islands appeal to visitors from certain countries

Maldives Dreamer, the website is not only for honeymooner, its for all types of travelers and all destinations.

As Maldives are popular for honeymooners in China, maybe that's why most of the reviews are from them. Besides, I guess honeymooners tend to posting a reviews as a record of the special moments of their life. I saw some reviews from friends and relatives, but it is really not much.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 03:22
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Do some Islands appeal to visitors from certain countries

I would suggest another website which is written in Chinese too (When use Chrome translate, it will be from "Traditional Chinese" to English), its a blog from a pair of lovely sisters from Taiwan. They visited 11 islands of Maldives:

samyoyobelinda.com/maldives/maldives.htm

There are also many of their reviews of other luxury resorts around the world including Laucala island in Fiji, Zanzibar, Bora Bora and more......

http://samyoyobelinda.com/menu.htm

With many excellent photos.......they could not swim, love sunbathing and island vacation though.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 08:11