We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A question for divers

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
732 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
A question for divers

Hi All,

I am off to Angaga in 5 weeks and can't wait! It will be our first time in the Maldives, and we are advanced qualified divers. I have three questions:

1) Are there any specific dive sites that anyone recommends that we should try to visit away from the house reef? I know any dive site will be amazing, just wondering if anyone has an favourites and why they are recommended.

2) Are there any specific sites that are better for possible Manta Ray spotting? I know it's out of season, just wondering.

3) I understand from the dive centre that dives are split morning and afternoon, with one dive on each. I've only dived in the UK and Caribbean/Mexico previously, and we have always done two-tank dives in the morning, back to the resorts around lunch time/early afternoon and then the rest of the day is free to hang with family/friends and snorkel. I much prefer two tank dives in one boat trip, rather than having to go out twice. The dive centre did say if enough divers want to do a two-tank dive, they would accomodate, but otherwise, it's one in the morning and one in the afternoon. What are your Maldives experiences in this sense? We are going to push for two-tank dives, but if we are unlucky, I fear I will be doing less diving than planned as I don't want to spend most of my holiday away from my family back at the resort.

Thanks!

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A question for divers

1) We enjoyed Broken Rock and Mirihi Drop Off. The dive centre will arrange to take you to sites which are best suited to the prevailing conditions but would probably be open to requests.

2) Madivaaru - seem to recall we did this as a two tank or full day as we visited a coral garden site at the same time. As you already know nature is unpredicatable - if mantas have been seen the dive centre will know (centres tend to talk to eachother about sightings) and arrange a trip there. As always there are no guarantees.

3) I don't specifically remember 2 tank dives in the morning from Angaga and my log doesn't record any but that could mean we chose not to do them. We've done 2 tank morning dives from most dive centres, also full day dives, so the centre might be open to this if there is enough interest. You will of course have a different boat charge to take into account although it should cost less than 2 single tank trips.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A question for divers

The Dive Centre would be the best people to talk to about dive sites and manta spotting. They'll know where (if) any have been seen recently.

They should also be able to give you information about each of the dive sites they visit so you can choose which ones appeal most to you (eg: more corals and small stuff, sites with more pelagics etc etc)

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
732 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A question for divers

Thanks Heather and Kanthony, we will ask the dive centre too, just wondered what people's experiences were too as I know there is a wealth of knowledge here! Plus, I am super excited so hearing recommendations just adds to that ;) I will note down any recommended sites to refer to when we speak to the dive centre.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
732 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A question for divers

Mirihi Drop Off is on the list as my brother has been to that island twice and said the snorkelling is amazing, so I would like to dive there, conditions willing!

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A question for divers

Hi,

You'll Love Maldives!!! :)

There are several amazing diving spots in Ari Atoll.

Starting form the south, around the Sun Island reef and Rangali you can spot very easily mantas and whale sharks.

Then there are Broken Rock and Five Rocks where you can see sharks and big pelagic fish.

Going up north you can enjoy Panettone, Thudufushi Thila, Fish Head, Warren Thila, Maya Thila... the options are really lots.

I've been working in Maldives as diving instructor for a couple of seasons and can't remember a "bad" dive, there is always something that will surprise you :)

To have a bit more knowledge about diving in Maldives you can read this article: elitedivingagency.com/blog/… it explains the different typology of dives and some of the best diving spots. Hope you'll find it useful.

Ciaoo :)

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
732 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A question for divers

WOW! Thanks Sandro, that is all so helpful and I loved the blog too. Thank you! One month today we leave and I can't wait! :-)

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
732 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A question for divers

WOW! Thanks Sandro, that is all so helpful and I loved the blog too. Thank you! One month today we leave and I can't wait! :-)

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A question for divers

Have fun ;)

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A question for divers

sun island has a reef and there are whale sharks easily spotted by rangali ? you live and learn .... sandro .. I assume you have actually been to these two places ? just asking ...

the other sites sandro lists .. pannettone , fish head and the legendary maaya thila are full day trips from angaga .. you would have to talk the dive center into it . if they will go for you, its certainly worth it .

broken rock and 5 rocks are great sites .. quite a haul from angaga too and I haven't usually see their boat go that way .. but no real reason not to . perhaps on a 2 tank along with a whaleshark seeking tour

as far as closer to angaga ... mirihi corner is awesome ... with a lobster cave in about 30 meters .. mirihi's wreck is worth a dive as well .. bobana thila (angaga thila) is right infront of the doorstep and well worth a look . ari beach faru for chance of whaleshark of course .

more favorite sites are thin fushi matti thila for its sheer beauty and variety of fish

machafushi wreck (M.S kudhimaa) by centara grand

bulha loki thila with fantastic overhangs

but really ... your dive center will know best which spots are going to be best for the time of year , time of day and conditions . trust them to ensure the best possible experience for you ... that's what they do :)

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A question for divers

"sun island has a reef and there are whale sharks easily spotted by rangali ? you live and learn .... sandro .. I assume you have actually been to these two places ? just asking ..."

Both Sun Island and Rangali are great places to spot whale sharks. This year I was 4 months in Maldives and once a week we were going there to snorkel whale sharks, and every time we went there we saw one or more. So what's your point? Have you actually been there?