We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives and Sri Lanka for honeymoon in September 2014?

Uppsala, Sweden
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Maldives and Sri Lanka for honeymoon in September 2014?

Hi

We are looking to get married in August 2014 and hope to go on honeymoon in September 2014. I have spent a few hours comparing destinations such as Maldives, Mauritius, Seychelles, Thailand, Indonesia, the Caribbean and tropical parts of Japan (Okinawa). I am getting rather confused! Is it feasible to do say Maldives on our budget?

- Our budget is £3000-4000 and we fly out from London.

- We like beautiful beaches (white sandy beach and crystal blue water)

- We do not dive, but can snorkel

- We enjoy good food and a nice cocktail, but do not want noisy party life

- We wish to be away for 10-14 days

- Island hopping or tours would be fun, but not necessary

- I have already been to two different coasts of Koh Samui in Thailand and would like something less touristy / more relaxing than that

- We can for the sake of cost split our trip over two destinations

- Would like to go somewhere with fairly stable weather predictions for September

Would be very grateful for help and we do apologise if posting in the wrong forum.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maldives and Sri Lanka for honeymoon in September 2014?

- Would like to go somewhere with fairly stable weather predictions for September

Unfortunately that discounts quite a large number of tropical destinations that lie within a certain distance of the equator. Most are experiencing monsoon/hurricanes tropical storms and the Maldives is no different.

You may visit and have nothing but glorious sunshine and calm seas, but you may experience heavy downpours, storms and very rough seas. Unfortunately no one can predict which it will be and if you aren't willing to take that chance with it being your honeymoon then I would probably pick an alternative destination.

Otherwise, for 14 days, your budget would be quite restrictive depending on what board basis you wanted that to include?

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,628 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maldives and Sri Lanka for honeymoon in September 2014?

You should get 10 nights AI on Reethi Beach within the top end of your budget.

We've been twice in September and had some storms/showers but nothing to spoil a whole day.

John

England
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maldives and Sri Lanka for honeymoon in September 2014?

Hi Piximelle,

I'm also looking at Maldives and Sri Lanka for a honeymoon in September 2014. Have you booked yours yet? Can you recommend any travel agents?

Ricky

Edited: 15 February 2014, 23:57
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Maldives and Sri Lanka for honeymoon in September 2014?

Hi Guys,

We did Sri Lanka and Maldives 3 1/2 years ago and travelled end Aug early Sept. Had a few downpours in Sri Lanka but on the whole decent weather and Maldives was perfect everyday. That was approx our budget but that was obviously a few years back but I think you could probably just about do it. We travelled around in Sri lanka(highly rec Jetwing Vil Uyana in Sigiriya-one of our fav spots ever visited. We really enjoyed Sri Lanka but it was the start of our love affair we the Maldives and we are going back for our 4th visit in June. We stayed on Meeru for our honeymoon which was a good introduction to the Maldives as it is quite a large island with a number of different bars and plenty to do but we soon realised that we preferred the smaller island vibe and have gone smaller and smaller each time. Someone has suggested Reethi beach above and this was our 2nd visit and really lovely island and we found very good value but not 100% sure on prices at the mo. The water villas are also good value for the Maldives.

Ps we booked our honeymoon through Kuoni who were great and got quite a few extras but have since realised they are quite expensive-especially for the Maldives.

Any questions then fire away?

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Uppsala, Sweden
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Maldives and Sri Lanka for honeymoon in September 2014?

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I haven't got notifications of a reply coming in!

We have repeatedly been told by travel agents that we cannot do Maldives on our budget, not even after we upped the budget to £5000. I have ruled out Sri Lanka as my fiancee does not want to go there.

So instead looking at Mauritius, but it is so difficult to book something with constantly being told we cannot have all inclusive, or we can only have a standard room, or we can only stay 12 nights, or we cannot have direct flights, because our budget is "too low". To me, spending £5000 is a lot of money and I would have hoped for a luxury experience for that.

Will post in a Mauritius forum about this instead!

Good luck with your bookings and thanks for the tips!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maldives and Sri Lanka for honeymoon in September 2014?

sack your travel agent for a start. Of course you can do it on £5k in low season. I could have booked one of the best 5+ star resorts in the Maldives for 7 nts AI in Sep 14 for £5k never mind a mid range resort. In the end . So i booked it for £6.4 k for 10 nts.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,913 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maldives and Sri Lanka for honeymoon in September 2014?

agree .. your agent is on the not-very-knowledgeable end of informed ... to say it kindly. Maldives over Mauritius any time . contact purely Maldives or simply Maldives and start over

8. Re: Maldives and Sri Lanka for honeymoon in September 2014?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 06:41
Berlin, Germany
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Maldives and Sri Lanka for honeymoon in September 2014?

Hello Ricky,

I used to Travel Maldives very often and use Krystal Voyages in the Maldives. You may ask them for a good package. Here you go the contact reservations@krystalvoyages.com

Jersey
Level Contributor
173 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maldives and Sri Lanka for honeymoon in September 2014?

I've been to both Mauritius and the Maldives. (not that I'm rich, I just spent my money on hols and not other 'stuff' )

Mauritius has some beautiful beaches and lovely hotels. However, it is a busy working island, albeit with some lovely scenery in places. If you love stray barking dogs it's the place to go!

The Maldives are something else. I'm on my third visit just now. They are truly stunning. A tropical paradise. The biggest one takes only 40 minutes to walk around. Others much less. I enjoyed Mauritius, but won't be returning. I would visit the Maldives every year. Many people return again and again, and it's no wonder!