We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities OTHER than snorkelling/diving in Maldives

Calgary
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Activities OTHER than snorkelling/diving in Maldives

Hi all,

We are considering Maldives for our honeymoon (late Jan next year), and I was wondering if there are any other activities on the islands/resorts other than snorkelling/diving? I am not a swimmer, and I will not feel comfortable snorkelling even with a vest on..

Thanks in advance!

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,097 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities OTHER than snorkelling/diving in Maldives

Some islands have tennis, badminton, golf, table tennis etc.

Visit the spa.

Excursions (by boat), such as island hopping.

Some ave cocktail/cookery classes.

Relaxxxx!

Edited: 12 August 2013, 22:55
Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities OTHER than snorkelling/diving in Maldives

I would recommend you to learn swimming before going to Maldives: it's really amazing to be snorkelling in a great reef and it would be a pity you would lose the experience. But if you don't learn, as you aren't a swimmer, don't go into the water to deep water: it's dangerous and people who couldn't swim have died in the Maldives...

One great activity apart of what Lynphd: enjoy the views: the beach, the sea, the sunsets: everything is so beautiful that you're happy just watching...

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities OTHER than snorkelling/diving in Maldives

It really depends on the resort you go to. Pick a larger island with a variety of restaurants and bars, and you will find they have more options.

The Maldives is all about the beauty of the place and relaxing. Even those who like snorkelling, it would be rare for them to spend more than a couple of hours a day doing it, and many are non divers.

Activities are listed by lyn, and of course, eating, drinking etc is also high up many people's priority list. You can also do excursions, local island, dhoni boat trips etc.

However I also agree with maria, obviously it's your call, but learning to swim is an important life skill, and if you decided to have children you would want to teach them and be able to swim with them on future holidays, so pop along to the local pool and learn, and then you can also see the under water aquarium when you go:-))

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
630 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Activities OTHER than snorkelling/diving in Maldives

Yes agree the bigger islands have more space to dedicate to more activities,during my search I found Shangr La V ,Lux ,Reethi Rah all had lots to do but then again I found Kurumba had lots to offer too activity wise.Also the 3 Anantara islands had lots to offer as they shared facilities

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Activities OTHER than snorkelling/diving in Maldives

Depends on the resort: tennis, badminton, yoga, meditation, gym, jogging, ping pong, excursions to local islands, hand line fishing, dolphin spotting, boat trips, yacht cruises, visits to deserted islands, tours of local islands, spa treatments galore plus the popular standby activity: chilling out on the beach can be options.

London
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Activities OTHER than snorkelling/diving in Maldives

Would you feel comfortable on a lilo?

Other activities you can do at various resorts include (in addition to Katherine's list of more conventional activities found many places) - biking, football, cricket, squash, basketball, bungee trampolining, flyboarding, submarine ride, glass bottom boat, canoe (glass bottomed canoe) too), pedalo, jet ski, inflatable ride, golf, golf simulator, crafts, disco, karaoke, telescope, painting, pottery, cooking classes, marine center, booce, beach darts, beach badminton, beach tennis, beach volleyball. And an extensive range of dining, drinking and spa treatments.

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Activities OTHER than snorkelling/diving in Maldives

One of the regulars, pm I think, takes a dog leash for her lilo and tethers it to the post of her water villa. Lol.

I did see one Chinese lady, get in the life ring, which was tethered to a post on the water villa deck and float about on that, whilst wearing a life jacket. I was torn between the " it's rude to stare" and the " oh my, think I shall have a little glass of wine and watch this" scenarios.:-))

Anyway, don't think I would recommend getting further than the shallow lagoon, if a non swimmer.

8. Re: Activities OTHER than snorkelling/diving in Maldives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 07:18