We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Sharks in March - is there a good option?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
32 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Sharks in March - is there a good option?

Hi all,

My husband and I are considering going to the Maldives in early March. While I'm certain we would enjoy the trip regardless, one of the things I would like to try to do would be snorkel with the whale sharks that inhabit the area. We're both avid snorkelers and this would be a very cool experience.

My question is - where should we base ourselves to be able to maximize the possibility of doing so at this time of the year? Or is it even possible? We have no budget and would happily spend $$$ to get a chance to do this, so I'm open to any/all suggestions.

If whale shark snorkeling isn't possible, then where would you recommend for a more "active" destination. We are planning on 5-6 nights in the Maldives following 2 weeks in SE Asia, and while we might want to relax one day or so, we're still going to want to be snorkeling, boating, etc., as we're not really a "lay on the beach" type of couple.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks much!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,021 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Sharks in March - is there a good option?

anywhere in the southern ari atoll for a chance of whaleshark but nobody can guarantie any sightings

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Sharks in March - is there a good option?

Whale sharks are in South Ari Atoll all year round. As spammie says, that doesn't mean you're guaranteed to see one of course.

I think pretty much all resorts in the atoll run whale shark snorkelling trips so it's easier for you to make a shortlist of which resorts you'd like to stay first and then check that they definitely do the excursions.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,993 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Sharks in March - is there a good option?

Hi

We stayed at vilamendhoo in the south Ari Atol ,it has a great reef and dive center ;-) the island do an all day Cruz on a very nice big boat with winning and dinning all included ,part off the urinary is looking for whale sharks ,we swam with 5 or more different ones .

I can recommend this island and the trip ;-)

Good luck

Darryl

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Sharks in March - is there a good option?

South ari as everyone says yes, I think our resort said they had an 80 percent hit rate ie they saw them 80 percent of the trips,

It's the mantas which are much more hit and miss and tend to be seasonal.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,993 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Sharks in March - is there a good option?

Thank goodness Lyn isn't around to see all thoes predictive text errors on my last post ;-)

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,777 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Sharks in March - is there a good option?

Darryl lol...I saw them all at the time you posted this morning...I was just so shocked seeing "urinary" that I choked on my cornflakes and have only just got back from A&E lol! So you had a lucky escape....

7. Re: Whale Sharks in March - is there a good option?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 07:18