We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Komandoo or Veligandu

London
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Komandoo or Veligandu

We are hoping to go back to the Maldives next year and we are very tempted to go back to Veligandu but we've been looking around and Komandoo looks quite nice also.

Has anyone been to both? If not, what are your thoughts on Komandoo? Looking at the photos there appears to be an island quite close and I wasnt too sure what that is.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

London
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Komandoo or Veligandu

Hi Blissbliss

Komandoo has a very good house reef and dining at their Main (Falhu) Restaurant is also very highly regarded.

Could you please clarify what you mean by "island quite close"..?

Simply Maldives

London
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Komandoo or Veligandu

Hi, Many thanks for your reply.

When looking at some photos for Komandoo, in the distance I could see another island (there was a mast). I just wasnt sure what it was, and if anyone had found it to be a distraction?

Thank you once again.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Komandoo or Veligandu

its a nearby local island. Ive heard several views with the predominant being its no problem. Others prefer to stay on the other side of the island though, with room views away from the island. I have heard tales of being able to hear the call to prayer and rubbish washing ashore (but no reports of that recently). The adults only thing about Komamdoo is a big attraction to the island.

London
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Komandoo or Veligandu

Thank you Paul1962Belfast. Thats really useful information.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Komandoo or Veligandu

One of the DEs - Lynphd - has been to both and I think she is returning to Komandoo this year. If she doesn't reply try pm'ing her - a link to her profile is on the right hand side with all the DEs.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,962 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Komandoo or Veligandu

Here I am!

Yes been to Veli 3 times, Kom once last Dec and returning in Nov.

We posted whilst there and I think compared to Veli:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293953-i7445-k5…

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,962 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Komandoo or Veligandu

Yes there is a local island adjacent to Kom but it didn't bother us. I would recommend a JBV as you get a larger footprint with the garden, daybed, jacuzzi bath etc out back - and almost all of these face away from the local island.

Rooms:

JWV eagle ray 1-15.

Sunrise (away from local island) - all JBV's. From reception starfish 1-6, dolphin 1-6, manta 1-9, marlin 1-9.

Sunset side (facing local island) - nearest to JWV end are 6 more JBV's shell 1-6. Then the only BV's are on this side. From reception coral 1-5 and turtle 1-9.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 18:04
London
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Komandoo or Veligandu

Thank you. Once again another really helpful reply. I possibly shouldnt answer this but are you saying that you prefer Komandoo over Veligandu? Hoping to book one or the other this week - no pressure ;-) thanks

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Komandoo or Veligandu

Hi. While I have not been to both I can confirm that I have gone through the same thing went to Veligandu in 2011 was going to return next year but after reading numerous reviews and asking on trip advisor for advice we have booked komandoo for next March. I am sure it will just as good as Veligandu but with better snorkelling

Edited: 27 August 2013, 18:54
Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,962 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Komandoo or Veligandu

Yes Kom has better snorkelling than Veli. It is also adults only. The food quality was excellent like Veli, but we liked the extra live cooking station for starters (the chefs are a good laugh). There were also quite a few extra little touches on Kom which were nice surprises. The only thing to consider is room choice if you think the view of the local island on the sunset side would bother you.