We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! What would you do?

Nottingham
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
HELP! What would you do?

We have decided to change island from Gangehi but the island we want does not have the room we want for the entire stay. We need to make our decision by tomorrow morning, yikes

We wanted Athuruga but for the last 2nights would need to go from a water villa to a beach villa so that is choice number 1

Choice number 2 split the stay between Athuruga and Thudufushi

Choice number 3 just go to Thudufushi as they have a water villa for the entire stay

Choice number 4 go to komandoo

Choice number 5 a different island

What we want is an excellent house reef, good food and all round good all inclusive package

What would you do or any advice would be greatly appreciateted

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! What would you do?

How long are you going for? I would probably split between ath and thud if two weeks, for one I would probably just go to thud.

Not sure I would downgrade to a beach villa. The other way round yes, and the beach villas are great, but personally I would prefer to move up than down.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! What would you do?

Personally I'm not keen on switching accommodation once I'm there. We have done it a couple of times and I felt the holiday was shorter than usual as a result. I certainly wouldn't do it on a stay of less than 2 weeks. However, I know some people do and love the change. Athuruga and Thudufushi are very similar, both have excellent house reefs, although the currents are easier at Athuruga. I think Athuruga has a slightly more laid back feel to it, again something I prefer. Having said all that, if the WV is a deal breaker, I'd opt for Thudufushi. If not, I'd investigate a BV for the full stay on Athuruga - they really are lovely - or go with your No1 choice and have just the 2 nights in the BV.

SL

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,829 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! What would you do?

i wouldn't mind switching from a WV to BV for a couple of days, but switching islands ? no! unless we are talking about 10 nights in one and 10 nights int he other.

A N Y H O W

i would chose:

Choice number 3 just go to Thudufushi as they have a water villa for the entire stay

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! What would you do?

We are downgrading after a week for a few nights to a BV, doesn't bother me as I'll just pack the big case ready for going home and use the small one for the bits we need.

I'd rather do that then switch islands, I had the same angst about ath and thud but picked ath for the better reef.

Norway
Level Contributor
819 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP! What would you do?

I would go for option number 1. It might be nice to experience both a BV and WV. For the best reef, I think Athuruga would be the winner and I wouldn't miss that just because you need to spend 2 nights in a BV. We spent 16 nights in a BV and it was really excellent! Good luck with your choice.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP! What would you do?

I wouldn't be opposed to an island change - but like SL we changed over a longer period, a 16 day holiday, and between 2 very different islands. Over 2 weeks and for 2 islands which are very similar I'm not sure we would bother but If you don't mind packing, unpacking, checking in/out which will lose you perhaps a few hours and if the WV being unavailable for the whole stay is the deal breaker then maybe, although I would probably opt to stay on Thud in that case.

Has your agent confirmed the cost of the transfer? I know the islands are fairly close but I would expect your transfer to be more in the way of a private hire rather than shared transfer cost-wise.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP! What would you do?

Thanks everyone for your replies, after reading through them and talking to OH I think at the moment we are going with Athuruga in a BV for the last 2 nights. Not sure we really want to change islands half way through and we think from your experiences the reef is slightly better at Athuruga and calmer currents and its the one my OH had set her heart on

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP! What would you do?

I will never understand why anyone would split their stay between Ath and thud. They are almost carbon copy identical islands save for a few nuances .

Level Contributor
1,616 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP! What would you do?

For the eggs Paul, for the eggs!

Nottingham
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP! What would you do?

Done and booked, moved the holiday forward 2days so we can stay in a water villa at Athuruga for the entire stay. Yipee roll on April 2014