We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beautiful Baros

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,175 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Beautiful Baros

As my memory will lapse once I'm back at work, I thought I'd write down my impressions and thoughts on Baros while they're fresh in my mind ... not sure it will be a daily blog, but most likely ...

First impressions are "wow"! It lives up to expectations but of course is much nicer in real life

From the friendly and efficient welcome at the airport where the luxurious speedboat was waiting for us, to the friendly welcome on the island shortly after. Our villa request of a water villa facing North has been met, and the villa host confirmed the works (they were changing more to pool water villas) finished, at least the noisy work, with only a little painting to be done,

The villa ... is amazing ... Mirihi's are very nice but this is so much better (sorry)! The bed is much more comfortable, plenty of storage in room, more (UK) sockets, a TV, more spaces overall, inside and outside, better design, a double bath, plus a shower and sea views from everywhere - ours are of Ihuru and Banyan Tree in the distance, that's it. Nice broad steps leading to the water where the reef begins - other than a dip as yet unexplored, as it was a bit windy though now the stars and moon are out, so hoping for calm seas. If not, noticed inside wide lagoon protected by sea walls it was very calm, so plenty of swimming and snorkelling opportunity there.

The food has been great so far too and absolutely prices fine - 2 big plates - we couldn't finished - of in villa dining (room service) of $54 exc drinks (3l of free water a day plus free coffees / tea - we used mini bar); and we had a quickish dinner as we were soo tired, 2 mains, came with canapes, 2 drinks, 1 desert at $85 inc taxes and service charge (I'm sure well spend more on other nights, but we were stuffed). Service very friendly and efficient.

Came back after dinner to find couple of presents - traditional Maldivian sweets with recipes on bed and - this made us giggle - a bottle of mouthwash in the bathroom ... Yes, the dinner was rather garlicky!

Really looking forward to exploring island properly tomorrow, snorkelling, at this rate may be up at crack of dawn, and trying out the spa which looks wonderful ...sigh

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,785 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Beautiful Baros

Sounds good Karla - definitely go for a nosey round any other room types to compare!

Apparently there's a new chef:

maldives.net.mv/9979/…

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Beautiful Baros

Hi

We are thinking of going to Baros. A couple of questions:

- what are alcohol prices like? I cannot find it on line.

- We are staying at a water villa. What is the beach that we would be able to use like?

-Baros or Coco Bodu Hiti?

- Is there a lot of sea or air traffic and is being close to Male rather annoying (we will be on honeymoon)

Thank you so much and have a fab time

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,175 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Beautiful Baros

Yes, already expressed interest in viewing pool villas and was told no problem, whenever we want :)

Just back from first snorkel opposite side of island where sea indeed totally calm ... had some mask fogging issues but managed to ascertain that reef looks amazing indeed - lots of coral. Watched divers videa of that spot before of huge shoal of type of manta (the smaller ones, cannot think of name?), just where i went ... and several nurse sharks. have lots of reef sharks at house reef and counted 6 turtles (they have, not me lol). Will try getting rid of sun cream next time to avoid fogging. Managed to step an inch from beautifipul white ray on way out which rolled its eyes at me, so funny!

Had lovely lunch at Sails bar today.

Nice German lady from dive school took my camera to find matching cable on island or if that fails from Male.

Drinks prices - I don't have alcohol, apart from free everything at breakfast including fresh juices, smoothies, cappuccinos, Prosecco,and 3l water each day, plus complimentary coffee capsules; paid a large fresh fruit cocktail (huge glass) is 8 or 9 dollars.p, same for beer I think. Minibar is 6 for a can of beer, 40 for half bottle of vodka, 30 half bottle wine, full ppbottkes from 50 (there is a wine chiller), 85 for half bottle of champagne, 135 for a whole.

Island very peaceful and quiet ... perfect!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Beautiful Baros

Put toothpaste on inside of mask . Will never fog again

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Beautiful Baros

Hi Karla ... You've finally landed on Baros! Sounds fab enjoy!

Can't believe you still got camera probs - was that still hubby's fault? :)

Hope you never used the waterproofs & brollies! Tee hee - maybe knee pads this time?

....AG

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,175 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Beautiful Baros

Thanks, Paul, will try that tomorrow!

Sorry but unable to answer questions about beach as we don't use it and other island (not been).

Not asked for drinks menu yet as we just order what we fancy.

Just back from lovely dinner at Cayenne, again pleasantly surprised at prices. This time found piece of fruit cake in room.

We are the ONLY people barefoot ... so much so that OH wore shoes tonight also!

Hardly any boats but then we are in water villa at opposite site of arrival jetty.

Sure, you can see Male in distance from other side. Our view is of ocean and pretty islands of Banyan Tree and Ihuru. When we can see Male and the industrial island it does not bother us.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,175 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Beautiful Baros

PS forget to say, got camera charger from dive centre staff, to keep till we return :)

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Beautiful Baros

Forgot to say, I used shampoo in inside of mask as toothpaste stings my eyes!

....AG

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Beautiful Baros

Toothpaste on the inside of new masks to remove the protective coating but a thin film of shampoo on used masks to stop fogging works for us.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,785 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Beautiful Baros

You could also ask at the dive centre for Sea Drops or the like to rub in your mask for anti-fogging. You can also simply try a leaf from the screw pine if you have any of these bushes nearby. Scrunch the leaf up then rub inside your mask, rinse and put it on.

(......what industrial island??)