We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beautiful Baros

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,175 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Beautiful Baros

As my memory will lapse once I'm back at work, I thought I'd write down my impressions and thoughts on Baros while they're fresh in my mind ... not sure it will be a daily blog, but most likely ...

First impressions are "wow"! It lives up to expectations but of course is much nicer in real life

From the friendly and efficient welcome at the airport where the luxurious speedboat was waiting for us, to the friendly welcome on the island shortly after. Our villa request of a water villa facing North has been met, and the villa host confirmed the works (they were changing more to pool water villas) finished, at least the noisy work, with only a little painting to be done,

The villa ... is amazing ... Mirihi's are very nice but this is so much better (sorry)! The bed is much more comfortable, plenty of storage in room, more (UK) sockets, a TV, more spaces overall, inside and outside, better design, a double bath, plus a shower and sea views from everywhere - ours are of Ihuru and Banyan Tree in the distance, that's it. Nice broad steps leading to the water where the reef begins - other than a dip as yet unexplored, as it was a bit windy though now the stars and moon are out, so hoping for calm seas. If not, noticed inside wide lagoon protected by sea walls it was very calm, so plenty of swimming and snorkelling opportunity there.

The food has been great so far too and absolutely prices fine - 2 big plates - we couldn't finished - of in villa dining (room service) of $54 exc drinks (3l of free water a day plus free coffees / tea - we used mini bar); and we had a quickish dinner as we were soo tired, 2 mains, came with canapes, 2 drinks, 1 desert at $85 inc taxes and service charge (I'm sure well spend more on other nights, but we were stuffed). Service very friendly and efficient.

Came back after dinner to find couple of presents - traditional Maldivian sweets with recipes on bed and - this made us giggle - a bottle of mouthwash in the bathroom ... Yes, the dinner was rather garlicky!

Really looking forward to exploring island properly tomorrow, snorkelling, at this rate may be up at crack of dawn, and trying out the spa which looks wonderful ...sigh

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,175 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Beautiful Baros

Yes, does not actually spray as you expect ... I'm using it like body lotion, squirting it in my palm, then applying.

Saying that, forgot altogether tonight as we left early for our free taster massage (Thai) which was very good, or at least 'an experience' to massage novice OH. Will definitely go back, not least as I may need to stay out of sun a bit tomorrow as I just discovered to my shame I burnt back of my shins and one arm (the left one, as been taking photos with other).

Had dinner at fine dinning restaurant th Lighthouse tonight and OH loved it but vegetarian option was not impressive - certainly no better than Lime, in fact I preferred Lime. A very good hazelnut soufflé almost made up for it but not quite. Concluded that as a vegetarian, from a food point of view, would be better off changing islands after a week, probably to somewhere which offers buffets. There are plenty of options, salads, pastas (a great many), curries, pizzas, and 4 main dishes at the Lighhouse but again 2 are pasta and curry. All very delicious but don't think enough variety for a two week holiday, as a vegetarian. For the same reason i think our food bills are unlikely to be representative what people will spend on average - even though we don't watch our spending my carnivore OH does not like lobster or steak and neither of us drinks much alcohol.

After dinner we stayed a little to listen to a band in the plan garden - such a beautiful place, with very tall palm trees, absolutely stunning. Continue to be wowed by how pretty this island is and must remember to view these pool villas - would definitely use one and do hope to come back :)

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Beautiful Baros

Glad you are enjoying Baros Karla! Its been literally years since I was last there.

Am sooooo jealous about hubby mentioning going back next year; mine hasn't budged yet. Looked up Ningaloo Reef in Western Australia, sounds awesome till hubby saw the prices, wayyyy higher than Maldives! I casually remarked it was cheaper to go to the Maldives to which he made no comment. Hmmm maybe got him thinking.

MA - how's it going? Bikini straps still ok? :)

Enjoy your time Karla, MA and Maria, I am sooo jealous having to go to work and no holidays booked yet .................my last hol in July seems an age ago now ...... keeps the posts coming if only to keep my Maldives dreams alive.

.............AG

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
159 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Beautiful Baros

So glad you're having a good time. We have been to Baros x4. It's wonderful in every way! I never wear shoes there. We love the beach villas and particularly the pool villas. Have a look. They're very private. Anyway, enjoy!!!

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
984 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Beautiful Baros

Karla I'm having the same problems being a vegetarian, you can only have so much pasta , curry's and salads!,

I said the same on Park Hyatt, you would struggle for two weeks.

AG..... Not lost my top yet!! Lol.

Spain
Level Contributor
325 posts
Save Reply
45. Re: Beautiful Baros

Thank you for the replies!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,175 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Beautiful Baros

You're welcome!

Just a quick weather update, another sunny day with a lovely breeze, perfect for us ;)

The Germans now wearing sandals too for breakfast and I'm again lone barefooted person ... but I don't care

Met nice Aussie woman who we arranged to meet after breakfast for mutual snoop to each others villas - she is staying in beach one.

She went on dolphin cruise yesterday and saw loads - despite that we decided we will not bother as we are here for so few days only

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Beautiful Baros

Thanks activegirl...

Karla, what about "watching people" at Baros? Here it is fascinating... Today a young chinese couple went to breakfast and he was only wearing a little bathing suit and she was wearing a bikini with a tiny short dress showing more than the entire back and the bikini in the front: no fast enough to take a picture as he was to told to wear something else and left: i had never in my life, at none destination, seen somebody at a restaurant without the chest covered...

Fortunately i am not a vegetarían, so two weeks aren't enough to try everything...

Edited: 04 September 2013, 06:57
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,175 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Beautiful Baros

Hi

We are just trying to guess nationality, with those news sheets indicating range ... hardest are distinguishing Japanese and Chinese ...

Sea a bit rougher today, high tide, and lots of tiny jelly fish but have no stings - swam right amongst them for ages. Back in front of water villa snorkelled with large eagle ray with was too fast to get close up photo but lovely experience anyway

Lunch arrived bye bye

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Beautiful Baros

Sounds wonderful and glad the weather is holding out for all. Keep the posts coming,,

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,175 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Beautiful Baros

Thanks ... finally made that spa appointment for this afternoon, after yesterday's taster session, going for Balinese,mshould be lovely

Still sunny, nearly 3pm, and light breeze, good visibility but sea full of tiny jelly fish ... Wasn't sure whethe rather would be a problem but it appears not?

Viewed beach villa which is stunning - so beautiful and gorgeous bathroom ... - lots of shade back and front and if want to be in sun, could pull loungers out on beach. Similar size inside, bathroom also has shower and freestanding bath tub. Reef also very close. Equally beautiful in a different way - one in lush tropical garden, other with floor to ceililing sea views and much lighter - and more private, outside. When I cooed over "chicken bird" (as I call it) I got usual response, 'oh that ... So noisy ...' Seems like many beach bungalow guests and staff get woken in early hours by these birds ... If it wasn't for the beasties in the bathroom, I would almmost be torn ...

See you tomorrow (I think), Maria!