We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beautiful Baros

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Beautiful Baros

As my memory will lapse once I'm back at work, I thought I'd write down my impressions and thoughts on Baros while they're fresh in my mind ... not sure it will be a daily blog, but most likely ...

First impressions are "wow"! It lives up to expectations but of course is much nicer in real life

From the friendly and efficient welcome at the airport where the luxurious speedboat was waiting for us, to the friendly welcome on the island shortly after. Our villa request of a water villa facing North has been met, and the villa host confirmed the works (they were changing more to pool water villas) finished, at least the noisy work, with only a little painting to be done,

The villa ... is amazing ... Mirihi's are very nice but this is so much better (sorry)! The bed is much more comfortable, plenty of storage in room, more (UK) sockets, a TV, more spaces overall, inside and outside, better design, a double bath, plus a shower and sea views from everywhere - ours are of Ihuru and Banyan Tree in the distance, that's it. Nice broad steps leading to the water where the reef begins - other than a dip as yet unexplored, as it was a bit windy though now the stars and moon are out, so hoping for calm seas. If not, noticed inside wide lagoon protected by sea walls it was very calm, so plenty of swimming and snorkelling opportunity there.

The food has been great so far too and absolutely prices fine - 2 big plates - we couldn't finished - of in villa dining (room service) of $54 exc drinks (3l of free water a day plus free coffees / tea - we used mini bar); and we had a quickish dinner as we were soo tired, 2 mains, came with canapes, 2 drinks, 1 desert at $85 inc taxes and service charge (I'm sure well spend more on other nights, but we were stuffed). Service very friendly and efficient.

Came back after dinner to find couple of presents - traditional Maldivian sweets with recipes on bed and - this made us giggle - a bottle of mouthwash in the bathroom ... Yes, the dinner was rather garlicky!

Really looking forward to exploring island properly tomorrow, snorkelling, at this rate may be up at crack of dawn, and trying out the spa which looks wonderful ...sigh

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: Beautiful Baros

Yes Karla, but we saw it and packed our luggage immediately... It's really fabolous... My husband says than when we come back, we will book one Baros pool Villa (in fact 210, when we are now), it really makes a difference...

Last night we had dinner at Lighthouse: everything was delicious, perfect spot, very quiet, we loved it... Husband: sea scallops and lobster, me: lobster Wellington and tuna rossini, we shared a dessert taster platter (with 4 desserts), one 1,5 l bottle of water: 230$, considering that the lobster is the most expensive dish, it looks a good price for me... Everything was really delicious...

Yesterday a new dive with the finland paparazzi and his wife, who had just finished the open water course, again the instructor had to tell him all the time to go down, to come closer,..., he and his wife were buddies, and he even left her alone to take pictures... But this time no problem: 66 minutes diving, so it's perfect... The ver first thing I do after snorkelling or diving is washing my ears to prevent othitis, they didn't, and as she was new, I told her to wash her ears, she said "I'm cold", so ok, it's up to you...

We've just bought some Baros brand products in the boutique: reasonable prices and several ítems, which is nice because many resorts don't offer brand products to sell, and I want a Baros T-shirt no a T-shirt...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: Beautiful Baros

I'm so pleased you love your new villa - I hope you're taking plenty of photos!

The dinner sounds great too, I think that type of cuisine is something the Lighthouse really excels in (not Vegetarian strudel ;). I really liked Cayenne.

I cannot believe they would not even rinse out their ears ... my OH suffered two ear infections and now wears a special ear covering snorkel mask plus silicone ear plugs then rinses after snorkelling then uses swim ear (to dry out ear) - a bit excessive perhaps, but isn't taking any chances.

I just rinse after and when I snorkel away from water villa and shower I took bottle of water with me as I didn't see a shower at the beach (bit far to end of dive jetty).

We got back only last evening as we had an afternoon flight out of Gatwick but at least had a good night sleep - 7 days definitely too short, think 10 days would be ok though. 3 weeks would be lovely if this would be main holiday ... Cannot see OH agreeing to ever go for that long though, just pleased that he loved it so much he didn't want to leave and wants to return soon :)

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Beautiful Baros

Maria,Karla,

Baros sounds wonderful and high on our list,glad you had a great holiday Karla and Maria you will have to email me some pics, hope you having a great time (I'm very sure you are).

MA

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
84. Re: Beautiful Baros

Hi

Will let you know when my review (which is very much stream of consciousness, thought there was an edit function lol) with photos is up :) - submitted yesterday

If you want to see more or others after that PM me

Karla

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Beautiful Baros

Oooops! Only half of my review has appeared ... mind you it was probably a bit long anyway ... I just added loads of pictures and once they appear I will post a link

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: Beautiful Baros

Can't wait to see them Karla :)

england
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Beautiful Baros

Karla your pictures are up

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: Beautiful Baros

Wow that was quick! Thanks for letting me know

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: Beautiful Baros

Yesterday we moved to a water villa: marvellous but we think baros pool villa wins (even my husband: lover of water villas)

We booked the seafood barbeque for dinner: excellent and reasonable price: we liked it a lot. Also yesterday I did my last dive and we enjoyed a champagne breakfast in the sandbank to celebrate our anniverssary: wow, it was really amazing... I always thought that that kind of things didn't worth the extra money, but they do...

We don't want to leave: today: our last entire day...

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
90. Re: Beautiful Baros

Happy anniversary Maria and Peter, enjoy your last day on Baros, Wow so many rooms :).

MA.