We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Centara direct pricing scheme

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,773 posts
258 reviews
Save Topic
Centara direct pricing scheme

Just pondering on whether this will become a trend....and how it works where travel agents/operators are supposed to be able to beat the direct rates?

maldives.net.mv/10018/…

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Centara direct pricing scheme

Hi Lyn

Okay - now you've got me fuming ! :-)

My e-mail has been fired off to the relevant guys in Maldives and Thailand (HQ) in search of an explanation as to their claim - it could be that Centara Grand and Centara Ras Fushi will very soon find support from their agent network to be non-existent.

Watch this space !

Thanks

Richard from PurelyMaldives

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Centara direct pricing scheme

Sounds like a marketing desperation exercise to me . Mind you, how else can they sell such dire islands ?

3. Re: Centara direct pricing scheme

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 September 2013, 07:07
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
314 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Centara direct pricing scheme

Centara hotels/resorts is all about their Maldives resorts - I think not

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Centara direct pricing scheme

This is the maldives forum.... I think

London, United...
Level Contributor
496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Centara direct pricing scheme

I wondered what Richard would have to say about this!

At first glance it looks like good news for the customer but it's really a kick in the teeth to agents like Purely who provide marketing for their resorts and impartial advice to consumers. I doubt Centara themselves will mention anything remotely negative in their own contact with customers, whereas good agents will tell the truth. As Paul says, it smacks of desperation.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Centara direct pricing scheme

Hello

I have now received a response from Jamie Crisp Director of Sales Maldives :-

"the entire Centara portfolio is guaranteeing that the online rates are the most competitive compared to other OTAs such as Agoda or Booking.com. The rates we put online are based on marking up Tour Operator contract rates so you will still find yourselves to be better positioned" ...."I am confident that you will not find this conflicting to your own rates in anyway. In fact, we have not adjusted our rates online, they remain the same as they have always been."

So it appears nothing has changed - however I believe their statement regarding "best available online rates" is therefore ambiguous and in a grey area.

Phew - time for a cup of tea !

Best wishes

Richard

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,773 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Centara direct pricing scheme

Clear as mud eh.......

england
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Centara direct pricing scheme

Centara Hotels & Resorts has launched a Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) programme for its online sales, in which anyone using the company’s own website to book hotel rooms is guaranteed the best price available.

In the event that any other website offers the same booking at a lower rate, Centara will match the lower rate and apply a further 10 percent discount to the final booking price.

That is a direct quote from the link that began this thread. Then when Richard queries it, they respond by saying that the prices they put on their website will have a markup on the rates they quote to Richard. So what if an agent takes a lower mark up than Centara expect and puts that on their website? They would have to honour the 10% off I presume? All a bit odd to me.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,773 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Centara direct pricing scheme

Hey maybe we can convince Richard to advertise CRF, WV, AI, 3 weeks all for £100 online.....then we could tell Centara and get it for £90! ;-)

....mmm but then I'm sure pB would remind us that £90 is still too dear for CRF....lol.