We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lily Beach

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,097 posts
294 reviews
Save Topic
Lily Beach

Recent reviews make interesting reading...

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g298324-d3169…

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,940 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lily Beach

When on vila we was told that lily had a turtle nursery for baby turtles hatched on beaches near by so maybe this is what they are talking about ,I am sure the staff know what they are doing .

It sounds like lily are getting a bit complacent in other areas of there service let's hope they pull there socks up !!!

Darryl

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lily Beach

It's funny but any hotel we have returned to (not Maldives), the experience only worsens . You return because you really like the place. There may be a degree of rosé tinted spectacles but we notice certain high price dining options disappearing, toiletries being cheapened , previously free items now chargeable. I investigated this previously and it has always been down to a change in management. New brush, sweeps clean, and to show their financial acumen to their money masters , cuts certain corners to the detriment of guests. Have heard of a few Maldivian resorts where this has happened.

So what is the score with those turtles?

What does Lilybeachlover have to say?

80% Chinese?

Edited: 04 September 2013, 07:20
Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
280 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lily Beach

Wow, thats a pity. We were there 3 years ago and it was quite nice, although even then there were 30-40% Chinese tourists. Agreed that their dive center is great. Still some of the nicer OWB's we have stayed at.

London
Level Contributor
902 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lily Beach

I posted a photo of the babe turtle nursery with my review, should anyone interests. it was taken in Jan 2011, less than 5 % Chinese or possibly less than 10% Chinese + Japanese + Korean in total.Resort staff told us there were more Japanese than Chinese during our stay...

Reading my review I can see how much I liked it, however after Mirihi and AK the return ticket to Lily will be on hold...overall very nice experience at Lily vs excellent at Mirihi and Marvelous WVs at AK ( one of the most impressive OWVs in Maldives, albeit a little hustle and bustle due to the underwater scooter, but the amenties made it up.)

Can't imagine the experience of the reviewer, sadly it might be how it is...

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,734 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lily Beach

big giant reason to never return to lily and not recommend it . sad ... very sad . I would literally leave the island on day one if I saw this

6. Re: Lily Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2013, 17:29
Dorset
Level Contributor
985 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lily Beach

We've been three times since the upgrade. The Chinese do dominate during low season - but not to the extent of 80% I don't believe. From October the balance shifts back toward the European. Majority of Chinese visitors on LB are there for 5 day honeymoon and spend most of their time in their water villa or in front of cameras on tripods.

We haven't seen any degrading of quality. There were a few minor things last time that we didn't like the sound of in the way of new introductions e.g. golf driving facilities near to Vibes. Don't know if this happened but we have decided this year to try another island - bit of a wrench after 10 trips to LB in total.

I can't agree about the lack of choice in meals at lunchtime. The Lily Maa buffet has a pretty good range plus the pasta/stir fry station and you can eat off the a la carte menus at Vibes and Aqua as well. We particularly liked the lunchtime meals at Aqua.

As for baby turtles, there has always been a breeding area/cage there. When we first went it was beneath the main jetty before moving up to near the dive area. Feeding was an event and some of the previously released adults would come back at meal times. No its not natural but then it does allow the young to grow in a safe environment until they're big enough to stand a chance in the ocean. In my experience they don't make a feature of it, unless you went looking for it you wouldn't know it was there.

The bigger problem is the noisy leaf sweepers (only joking!!!!)

Dorset
Level Contributor
985 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lily Beach

I meant to add that unless something drastic has happened to the wine list since last September, I could not agree with the comment re the wine. We found it great. A nice New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc with lunch and perhaps the Argentinian Malbec with dinner? And served by the bottle, We'll miss that at Athuruga.

9. Re: Lily Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 05:17